Dermatology Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 2, 2017

1.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Terrible work environment"

Former Employee - Membership Secretary in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Membership Secretary in Evanston, IL

I worked at Dermatology Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck and experience. Most of the staff is nice. There is really only one bad apple in this bunch.

Cons

Where to begin... walking into this office is like stepping into a time machine and returning to the 1980s. There is really only only one control freak. If you don't do things her way, you are belittled and micro managed. She cares about no one but herself. Don't be fooled into thinking she will eventually retire because she won’t.

There is only one email address for 5-10 people and all are read. Certain people in charge will go through your desk after you go home so make sure you don’t keep any Personal property here. Did I mention this person is a narcissist? It’s like being in a really bad relationship where you question if you even know how to chew your own food.

I could not leave this place fast enough after 7 months.

Advice to Management

Get therapy or retire. You run this office like a dictator and it doesn’t have to be like that. It’s only done to strike your own ego

"Do Not Work Here"

I worked at Dermatology Foundation full-time

Pros

The pay rate is good (at least as far as I could tell - I never learned what anyone else was paid), and I was very excited to start as a relatively recent college graduate. This job taught me that even a lot of money cannot always make up for a truly terrible job.

Cons

There is absolutely no training, yet you are expected to know the ins and outs of their personalized database within a matter of days. The office decor is straight out 1992, the office itself is quiet and demoralizing, and if you so much as start a conversation with a coworker at the coffee pot, the Executive Director will stare at you both until you return to your desks.

If you do something right, it will most likely be unacknowledged. If it is acknowledged, you will most likely be called by the wrong name.

If you do something wrong, the Executive Director will directly question your competence, your capabilities and your personal character. Even if this mistake was made in your first week on the job.

I left after two months, and on my last day it was revealed to me that the Executive Director had gone through my desk while I was out and read my personal notes. When I confronted her about this, she told me that I owned nothing at that desk and everything was the property of the Dermatology Foundation.

If you would like a dramatized version management's behavior, please watch the movie "The Devil Wears Prada."

Advice to Management

Train your employees, listen to what they have to say, update your website, stop acting as though every little problem is the end of the world.

"Extreme Micromanaging, Historically Constant Turnover"

Pros

There truly are none. It was astonishing to see just how short of time each non-management person was there.

Cons

Micromanaging to the hilt. The entire small office was under siege at all times by a controlling management team - you would be questioned if you got up to get a glass of water. Every process was dated - like fax machine and US mail dated with no intention of getting up to speed. The management reply to everything basically stemmed from an irrational paranoia. It was bad.

Advice to Management

Look for best practice advice when trying new things. Try to look at why there has been a record of excessive turnover/relying on temps from an outside professional viewpoint - even hire it done to figure out why you are not able to keep even a single employee long than a year or so.