Descartes Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Descartes Systems Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ed Ryan

"Would be perfect if they only paid a fair salary"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Descartes Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great medical benefits, vacation time, and flexibility to work from home at times.

Cons

They do not pay a fair salary for the position and the years of experience. Many great invaluable employees have left for that reason after many years of working here and not getting compesated properly for their work.

"Not the best company to work for."

Former Employee - Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Descartes Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A set work schedule. The ability to work overtime. A relaxed office environment.

Cons

Unhealthy working conditions. Overworked staff and underpaid. The bonus and salary increase structure is false. Employees have received stellar performance evaluations with no compensation.

Advice to Management

Appreciate staff and their hard work ethics. Give out incentives and awards. Create room for advancement.

"NOT THE BEST PLACE TO START YOUR CAREER"

Current Employee - Ocean Expertise Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Ocean Expertise Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Descartes Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked here for 5 months and the only thing I liked about this company is the Benefits. The pay is not that great because even after having a college degree the pay is bad.

I worked with the Ocean Expertise Analyst department since September. I left because the driving was long and you can never work from home even after if you had a laptop. The team members were awesome, they were always very helpful and kind. I learned a lot from my teammates but my manager hated it whenever I learned something new. You won't learn anything if this manager is around she will make sure to let you down all the time. Only great person in this company to work for is the VP he is a great guy and a very knowledgeable man.

Cons

It does get overwhelming, not a lot of people to talk with, training for new employees are lacking and no opportunity to grow unless otherwise you do something extraordinary.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for people and have workers getting involved in projects, new hire training, fun activities understanding the FMC regulations and tarriffs.

"Dissapointment and buffled how bad Senior Managment can be"

Current Employee - Sof in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sof in Miami, FL

Pros

The vacation package is 20 days after 4 years of employment, which is something unheard of. 7 sick days, 1 personal day, 7 holidays - extremly good. The company also have a great health insurance and 50% matching 401k. You might be able to work from home, at least some of the time, but that depends on your direct manager work philosophy.

Cons

Extremely low pay compare with the same position in the industry - somewhere in the lowest 5% of the normal curve. No respect for employees, no raises. They had the performance review last year, and salary review this year - long process, starting in mid-October. When there was finally a time for senior managment to actually come up with the numbers (middle of January) they not only ignored the schedule, they acted like there was not salary review and haven't even mentioned the issues in CEO webcast three month later.
    The morale is extremly low since all the employees I know feel extremly disrespected. Six best developers already left, and the most of the rest is looking for a new job. Productivity is very poor, since there is no motivator - no raises, and a big demotivator - being treated like s..t by the senior managment.

Advice to Management

You guys up there need to quit. There is total disconnect with you and the employess. If you want developers to work on McDonald salaries, open offices in China.

"Tumultuous place to be on the Sales and Marketing side of the house"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It's a job, which is good in this time of slow economic growth. There is a good bit of autonomy (which is also a negative, which I will outline under Cons). Benefits are good. Co-workers are nice and I made a few good, lasting relationships. Smart product people (developers, engineers, and product managers).

Cons

The company had 5+ Sales and Marketing complete re-orgs since 2000 from what I understood via very reliable sources. For proof of this, I randomly met a friend of a friend who had worked both at Descartes in a similar role and at another company I was with. He was at Descartes 3 years earlier and echoed the feeling of it being a chaotic environment.

Descartes is a "product" organization and doesn't really, truly, deeply believe in the value of sales and marketing. There's a reason their revenue had been stagnant over the course of several years. I saw numerous middle management changes in 2 years, and of course very senior management people are never going to take a look in the mirror and ask "What's the common denominator here?"

As for middle management, I would have out-of-town bosses visit and spend less than 10 minutes with me before jetting off. I once went 3 weeks without speaking to anyone on my team. The CEO, Art, wouldn't even acknowledge that I existed when in the same room as him (and I'm a social person and made a concerted effort to make contact). Then one time, a senior VP publicly acknowledged the efforts of every person who contributed to a major S&M event- except for me. I worked my butt off and my efforts were recognized by all the others on my team except for him. Admittedly, I was laid off weeks later as the next-to-last from my "class" on the Sales and Marketing ferris wheel, so that may have been his way of avoiding eye contact. Still, a little humanity and thankfulness for making him look good would have been nice and respectful.

Just a terrible fit for me with atrocious upper management who have obviously sucked up to the Board to the point of not having to produce results or treat sales and marketing with respect for their abilities. Despite the doom and gloom, it was good work experience, it paid the bills, and I enjoyed my co-workers, and it's good to end on a positive note.

Advice to Management

See above.

"Good technology - No Raises"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Descartes Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good technologies used, you will learn a lot
    - Decent benefits
    - If you are an immigrant, and do not have "Canadian experience" this is the place to be!

Cons

- No raises at ALL. I was there for 3 years and never got a raise. Every time I asked about it, I got excuses. I met a developer that worked here for 7 years with no raises. So be aware of this
    - Unprofessional language used by team leads. Too much cursing for my preference.
    - No room to grow within the company. The leaders in key positions have been there for years, and won't go away any time soon
    - Directors like to raise their voice when they talk to you. I complained, and that was not smart.

"Overworked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Descartes Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to take on a lot of responsibility over a diverse set of systems. It is a great learning opportunity.

Cons

A lot of fire fighting. Lots of short term thinking from above. Resistance to invest in labor saving tools. Callous treatment of employees.

Advice to Management

Learn to give ALL your employees recognition for their efforts. Recognize high turnover as a cost.

"Inversteer in je personeel"

Current Employee - Analyst in Utrecht (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Utrecht (Netherlands)

I have been working at Descartes Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Je kan werken met grote Internationale klanten. Je hebt veel vrijheid om je tijd in te delen, al wordt dat wel steeds lastiger

Cons

Geen mogelijkheid om jezelf te ontwikkelen. Je wordt in een hokje gedrukt en kan daar bijna niet uit komen. Ook het volgen van cursussen wordt niet aangemoedigd, eerder ontmoedigd. Er is sprake van structureel personeelstekort waardoor de werkdruk steeds verder toeneemt met toenemende ziekteverzuim als gevolg

Advice to Management

Investeren in je personeel.