Descartes Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Ed Ryan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Skip this place unless you are desperate for a job."

Former Employee - Staff (Too Small to Say Exactly) in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Staff (Too Small to Say Exactly) in Marietta, GA

Pros

You get a pay check.
    Free coffee
    If you are lucky, it will be a short commute
    any port in a storm (it's better than not job at all)

Cons

Company policy is at least 4 years between pay increases of near nothing.
    Some managers will treat you with respect others lie to your face to manipulate you to work more.
    Company stated policy is to squeeze "resources" you like a lemons

Advice to Management

At least try to show some appreciation for the people making the company run. AND actually know what your managers are doing, some manage people like personal servants but not in front of you.

"Designer"

I worked at Descartes Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, casual, good docs small

Cons

Boring work, few customer no variety

"Full Time at Descartes"

I worked at Descartes Systems full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, other than that, not much else.

Cons

Poor Management, No room for progression in company. Poor compensation. No incentive. Terrible atmosphere. Hostile work environment. Every day someone gets in an argument with someone else and work can't get done. Lazy management. One woman specifically. When brought to others attention she pulls out a sob story about her life and how its infinitely worse than everyone else. Shes kisses up to management to keep her job, and takes whatever aggression she has out on her team members and members of other teams. Work hours are not what are specified through interview, you will work 9-11 hour days, sometimes Saturdays. Huge back log of work, that never seems to be finished. If you somehow find the will to stay and try to move up for the company, your progress will most likely be impeded by people that want to keep you where you are. Beginning pay is incredibly low for a company in their industry. Work with incompetent clients. All in all, if you have any better options, take those instead.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people that cause others to be unhappy, add incentive, up salaries.

"Don't work here unless you enjoy being abused!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

The people working there are great and work well together, even under the extreme amounts of stress and expected extra working hours.
    You can be open about looking for another job, because everyone working there is!

Cons

No work life balance. Management/Executives suggest how life should be, but do not follow through making employees work long hours, including weekends without any extra compensation. No raises for a number of employees for years, however the CEO het a 119% salary increase?
    Always working under cutbacks, refusal to purchase badly needed IT infrastructure due to lack of cash flow. Goal is to bandage everything and spend no money.
    They would rather expect an employee to work 24/7/365 to keep stuff working manually than pay to fix it properly, and don't expect a bonus, a raise, or even a thank you for doing this extra work.
    Staff is underpaid and over worked.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees with respect. Start spending some money to make things better. The IT infrastructure is sadly underfunded.

"Dead end, with decent PTO."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Descartes Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very knowledgeable individuals around if you luck out and get the chance to work with them. The benefits package is pretty good and it is a paycheck which means something in this economy.

Cons

The organization is plagued with stagnation. There are no career paths and zero employee development programs. Consequently, patience of junior talent only lasts so long and they move on. This has led to most lower level management being there because they stuck it out rather than being promoted based on merit. Upper management is unapproachable and incredibly disconnected. I've literally gone several months at a time without any sort of meeting to plan or discuss anything.
    Promotions are non-existent. The pay is absolutely horrendous and raises are like an urban legend. You will be worked like a mule and never receive any feedback. There is too much animosity and the office culture is utterly terrible.
    The organization is very resistant to change and process improvement does not exist. The "big picture" solution is to keep poaching smaller companies rather than invest in the people or infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. As it stands now, when the economy comes back around there are going to major issues when everyone heads for the door.

"DSG - better ask questions before accepting"

I worked at Descartes Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. Management is slimey. You talk back to them they fire you 2 weeks later.

The people I worked with are nice the mgmt is NOT

Well one pro they put all your skills to work for workarounds because they are CHEAP and wont spend money, bandaid everything!!

Cons

Don't investment money in their people.
    Don't spend money on anything (software, hardware).
    The office looks like crap.
    They keep useless people around and they make the hard working ones work harder with no appreciation
    very crappy bonus
    Micro Mgmt
    no chance of advancement

Advice to Management

Spend some money on your backend. It's your whole business.

"Dodgy in and out"

Pros

You'll realize fast to be wasting your time. And as mentioned previously, one gains fast those highly marketable "band-aid" project skills.

Cons

Primitive technology, coming from frequent acquisitions, with poor integration strategy behind. Management driven by mistrust. Null career perspectives.

Advice to Management

Give up your arrogance and connect with the outside world

"Poorly managed IT sweatshop...excellent M&A boutique"

Pros

Priceless negative experience. If it doesn't destroy your professional ambitions and drive, it will get you stronger for any job experience... anywhere else.

Cons

Management is full of divas, who do not provide any sense of relatedness to business. They are stuck in late 90's early '00 at best, on all fronts - technology, HR, sales...One thing Descartes is leading in, is their acquisitions. There are more corporate finance announcements than new-logo signatures.

Advice to Management

Read this site, for a change.

"Tumultuous place to be on the Sales and Marketing side of the house"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

It's a job, which is good in this time of slow economic growth. There is a good bit of autonomy (which is also a negative, which I will outline under Cons). Benefits are good. Co-workers are nice and I made a few good, lasting relationships. Smart product people (developers, engineers, and product managers).

Cons

The company had 5+ Sales and Marketing complete re-orgs since 2000 from what I understood via very reliable sources. For proof of this, I randomly met a friend of a friend who had worked both at Descartes in a similar role and at another company I was with. He was at Descartes 3 years earlier and echoed the feeling of it being a chaotic environment.

Descartes is a "product" organization and doesn't really, truly, deeply believe in the value of sales and marketing. There's a reason their revenue had been stagnant over the course of several years. I saw numerous middle management changes in 2 years, and of course very senior management people are never going to take a look in the mirror and ask "What's the common denominator here?"

As for middle management, I would have out-of-town bosses visit and spend less than 10 minutes with me before jetting off. I once went 3 weeks without speaking to anyone on my team. The CEO, Art, wouldn't even acknowledge that I existed when in the same room as him (and I'm a social person and made a concerted effort to make contact). Then one time, a senior VP publicly acknowledged the efforts of every person who contributed to a major S&M event- except for me. I worked my butt off and my efforts were recognized by all the others on my team except for him. Admittedly, I was laid off weeks later as the next-to-last from my "class" on the Sales and Marketing ferris wheel, so that may have been his way of avoiding eye contact. Still, a little humanity and thankfulness for making him look good would have been nice and respectful.

Just a terrible fit for me with atrocious upper management who have obviously sucked up to the Board to the point of not having to produce results or treat sales and marketing with respect for their abilities. Despite the doom and gloom, it was good work experience, it paid the bills, and I enjoyed my co-workers, and it's good to end on a positive note.

Advice to Management

See above.

"Dissapointment and buffled how bad Senior Managment can be"

Current Employee - Sof in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sof in Miami, FL

Pros

The vacation package is 20 days after 4 years of employment, which is something unheard of. 7 sick days, 1 personal day, 7 holidays - extremly good. The company also have a great health insurance and 50% matching 401k. You might be able to work from home, at least some of the time, but that depends on your direct manager work philosophy.

Cons

Extremely low pay compare with the same position in the industry - somewhere in the lowest 5% of the normal curve. No respect for employees, no raises. They had the performance review last year, and salary review this year - long process, starting in mid-October. When there was finally a time for senior managment to actually come up with the numbers (middle of January) they not only ignored the schedule, they acted like there was not salary review and haven't even mentioned the issues in CEO webcast three month later.
    The morale is extremly low since all the employees I know feel extremly disrespected. Six best developers already left, and the most of the rest is looking for a new job. Productivity is very poor, since there is no motivator - no raises, and a big demotivator - being treated like s..t by the senior managment.

Advice to Management

You guys up there need to quit. There is total disconnect with you and the employess. If you want developers to work on McDonald salaries, open offices in China.