Desert Financial Credit Union Reviews

Jeffrey Meshey
  1. "Fantastic Culture"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Papago, AZ

I have been working at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture is fantastic - high energy, clear vision for the future, employees who support each other, amazing benefits, strong support of our community

Cons

If you don’t like a fast pace, this isn’t the place for you.

Desert Financial Credit Union2020-03-07

March 9, 2020Brand Outreach Specialist

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that our culture and benefits are hitting the mark — we especially loved the title of your review — "Fantastic Culture"! We see that you mentioned a fast pace work environment as a con. While a fast-paced work setting can sometimes push you out of your comfort zone at first, with a little training and coaching, it can help you to develop and grow in many ways. If you have any suggestions on how to improve in this area, we would be truly interested in hearing them via email to wecare@desertfinancial.com. Thanks for being part of our Desert Financial team, we appreciate your feedback!

2. "All about Politics"

Former Employee - Service Manager

I worked at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and Incentive are good

Cons

No one does anything about the lack of leadership within the branches.

Desert Financial Credit Union2020-03-09

March 23, 2020Brand Outreach Specialist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. It's great to hear that you've appreciated your benefits and incentive while at Desert Financial. At Desert Financial we share success with our employees, and our 401K match and lower cost benefits are just a few of the many ways we’re able to do that! So far in 2020, Desert Financial has paid out over $200,000 to non-leader employees. In 2019, we paid out $1.5 million in TEAM Bonus incentives, an annual bonus for employees in non-leader positions. We appreciate your feedback regarding branch leadership. Here at Desert Financial we provide our leadership with ongoing training to help them lead and develop their employees to be successful in their roles. Each role has unique demands and we try to provide resources to help each individual thrive. If you have more feedback, please feel free to send suggestions to wecare@desertfinancial.com. Thank you!

3. "Desert Financial TELLER Job Review"

Former Employee - Computer Assistant in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For the most part, friendly co-workers/mgmt.

Cons

No significant bonuses (motivation to exceed), other than personal advancement.

Desert Financial Credit Union2020-01-30

February 19, 2020Brand Outreach Specialist

We appreciate the time you took to leave feedback. While we are glad you enjoyed working with your coworkers and management team, we hear your concern regarding bonuses and pay. Here at Desert Financial, we strive to provide all employees with competitive pay. For the teller position, that includes the opportunity to receive a quarterly member experience payout as well as a quarterly TEAM Bonus incentive. We will pass along your feedback to our Retail team. If you have any additional feedback, please send an email to WeCare@desertfinancial.com.

4. "Good for experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Outbound Sales Specialist

I worked at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time

Pros

Got busy banking experience, room for promotions, community involvement

Cons

peers have no motivation, may be holdback if you show to much competency in one area.

Desert Financial Credit Union2020-01-13

January 24, 2020Brand Outreach Specialist

Hi there, thank you for your feedback. We are glad you got to take advantage of the community involvement and growth opportunities here at Desert Financial. As a credit union, we strive to keep our employees motivated by the many perks that we offer, including our volunteer time benefit, our Spotlight Recognition program, and many others. If you have any further feedback to share, please send us an email at wecare@desertfinancial.com. Thank you.

5. "Good place to work."

4.0
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, price of healthcare just went down, 0$ for dental 0$ for vision. They match your 401k and place your pension into your 401k. Opportunity for overtime and extra PTO. Good place for growth in a company.

Cons

Long hours. Hard to hit goals.

Desert Financial Credit Union2020-01-10

January 28, 2020Brand Outreach Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! Our 401K match and lower cost benefits are just a few of the many ways Desert Financial shares success with employees. We hear your concern with longer hours, but by staying open a little later than most; we offer our members a convenience that they are not able to get from other financial institutions. We hope that the in-branch coaching we provide gives our employees the education and confidence to offer solutions to our members and help meet sales goals. We will pass your suggestions along and if you have any ideas on additional training please feel free to reach out to WeCare@desertfinancial.com.

6. "Stay Away"

1.0
    Former Employee - ASM

I worked at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

None..they don’t care about you or your needs

Cons

Could care less about part time employees. Don’t care about family at all. Don’t provide necessary needs for new mothers. Wrongful termination Discrimination Work place harassment...the list goes on.

Desert Financial Credit Union2020-01-10

January 31, 2020Brand Outreach Specialist

We are truly sorry you had a negative experience during your time here at the credit union. We provide our employees, both full-time and part-time, with a variety of benefits and resources that can assist employees in balancing their work and home life commitments. Additionally, we are committed to providing a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination and will not tolerate it. If you need to report an allegation of harassment and/or discrimination, please contact us at WeCare@desertfinancial.com. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we will pass along this information.

"Sharing Success!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Management

Pros

Credit union really cares about members, employees, and the community.

Cons

Employee turnover in entry level positions should be a focus

Desert Financial Credit Union2019-11-09

December 4, 2019Communications Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to see that we have hit the mark in sharing success with our community, our members and our team. We also appreciate your recommendation to focus on employee turnover. We are striving to improve our current turnover rates in a variety of areas and your comments have been passed along to Human Resources and Senior Management. If you have any additional feedback to share, please send an email to wecare@desertfinancial.com.

8. "It needs to be called GOLF credit union"

1.0
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Papago, AZ

I have been working at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time

Pros

People, some of the benefits

Cons

If you are not a golfer you do not count

Desert Financial Credit Union2019-11-06

December 4, 2019Communications Specialist

We're truly sorry to hear that your outlook on your time so far has been negative. While we are glad that the employees of the credit union and certain benefits are pros, it is clear that we have fallen short in communication in a few areas. We don't want any employee to feel that they are unimportant in any way. We can assure you that our company as a whole sees our employees as our greatest asset, and the board is made aware of employee concerns and major issues. Additionally, employee events are created with all employees in mind and are focused on each individual team member's development. We appreciate your feedback about messaging from our leadership and the accompanying decorative wall art. It has been seen by senior management and has been addressed. If you have any further feedback to share, please send us an email at wecare@desertfinancial.com. Thank you.

"Poor training, poor management, poor sales practices, poor environment and culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Member Advocate

I worked at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time

Pros

If you have a good manager your job is great.

Cons

Training was only a month and none of the focus was on the actual complex servicing needs at a bank. Managers are kept based on how chummy they are and how often they golf with the CEO. The requirements for sales are despite how stingy lending is. I would often get applications that were declined because underwriting standards are too high. Managers are not leaders and simply berate and demand sales results from their employees without actually providing coaching or training to help lower performers grow. They are simply a credit union that wants to operate like a bank. There is a culture of catty behavior. Branch managers often engage in creating a hostile work environment and target that hostility towards one employee.

Desert Financial Credit Union2019-10-01

October 31, 2019Communications Specialist

We appreciate the time you took to leave us your feedback. It has been communicated to Senior Management in our HR and Retail Departments. We can assure you that we hold our branch managers to a high standard for compassion and leadership and have had conversations with them about the points you brought up in your review. Recently, we have implemented stronger guidelines for coaching and training for branch managers, which includes increased time for them to meet with Member Advocates such as yourself. This also includes additional training that will help branch staff reach the sales goals that are set by the credit union as a whole each year. We hope these measures will help Member Advocates and other employees to feel supported and knowledgeable in their roles. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Desert Financial Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stability, Health Benefits, 401K. Friendly and respectful management.

Cons

Low pay, low chance for promotion

Desert Financial Credit Union2019-08-16