Design Science Consulting, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Design Science Consulting, Inc. Reviews

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Barlow

"Unique environment for designers who love research"

Current Employee - Designer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Designer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Design Science Consulting, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

One of the reasons I love working at Design Science is because I feel like the company cares equally about employee experience as they do about profitability. I'm consistently being asked by upper-level management if I feel like my workload is appropriate. I do believe that hasn't always been the case (hence the negative reviews), but it's been true for the years I've been involved with the company.

Another reason I really enjoy my work at DS is because I get to cross interdisciplinary boundaries. Because I expressed an interest in exploring research more, I've had the opportunities to be involved with both human factors and ethnographic research. In my experience, that's a very unique situation.

Finally, I love the medical world and the majority of the work that we do tends to involve medical products (though we do work on consumer goods, as well).

Cons

If you're a designer who thrives on studio culture, you are unlikely to experience that here. While it can be a very collaborative environment, you're more likely to collaborate with researchers than fellow designers because the design team is small. The design that we do is almost entirely information design, so if you're not a designer who is passionate about research/learning, you may not enjoy the work.

Advice to Management

Continue to facilitate opportunities for employees with multi-disciplinary interests.

Oct 21, 2016 – HR & Compliance Director

Thanks for taking time to share your perspective on Design Science. We're happy you're happy!

2. "Established company with a startup vibe and startup opportunities"

Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Design Science Consulting, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has an extremely relaxed working environment, which means the focus is on the work that you actually are accomplishing.

This company is also going through a major transition right now (for the better) that is conducive to some great experience if you're willing to be a self-starter and take responsibility for your own career path. In the past the company has had some management struggles but those people have moved on and personally my experience at the company has improved tremendously since then.

The people here are intelligent and have varied backgrounds, and on the whole extremely easy to work with.

Even though it's an established company with good benefits and job security, it has the vibe of a startup. I do something different every day and am still learning.

The hours and workload are extremely reasonable and, especially since the upper management issues were resolved, I have not once had more work than I could handle. I feel like my work and abilities are recognized.

The company is also growing and developing its business plan in new ways, which is an exciting thing to be a part of. So, in addition to the good working culture and the excellent benefits, I feel optimistic about the company's financial situation.

Cons

The company is, as I mentioned above, going through an evolutionary period, and a lot about the company is changing in big ways. A lot of the issues of working at this company are being resolved and upper management has been extremely receptive to constructive criticism from all levels of employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to do such a good job of listening to employees' concerns and actually taking action!

Oct 21, 2016 – HR & Compliance Director

Thanks for taking time to submit your feedback. We are glad to hear of your positive experience and look forward to continuing our forward progress, hopefully with you on our team!

3. "I help coordinate observational, ethnographic, usability, and human factors research."

Current Employee - Research Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Director in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Design Science Consulting, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees get a chance to take on new challenges regularly and to learn new skills. The organizational structure is fairly flat so that employees have the opportunity to play a variety of roles. The job requires regular learning and the use of both sides of your brain.

Cons

Because we are a smaller consulting firm, the work flow tends to be somewhat unpredictable. You may find yourself working on variety of different projects within the same time frame. For some people this is a positive, but if you like to work on a single project with a longer time frame, Design Science may no be right for you.

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

*Travel to all parts of the country/world
    *Work on very high level medical projects
    *Travel budget is generous - nice hotels and nice restaurants make the very grueling travel schedule a little more bearable.
    *Hours can be flexible

Cons

Complete disorganization. One of the principles appears to be a good researcher, but completely lacks employee management skills. He can be quite impatient, doesn't listen well, and has a history of blaming employees when he forgets things, which unfortunately happened often.

Projects are always chaotic, out of control affairs that are always barely finished, mainly due to poor planning and time management. Expect to spend weekends and nights finishing projects as deadlines loom.

Travel on a tight schedule is a big part of the job. Be prepared to familiarize yourself with homemade video apparati built the night before you leave by the company's tech guru. You'll need to be able to transport, operate, and potentially repair up to 50-70 pounds of custom video gear for research projects through airports and hospitals. In some cases you'll have less than 30 minutes to set this very complicated equipment, and you'll have to begin as early as 6am in many cases, often after arriving late the night before. None of this was adequately explained to me when I was interviewing.

Turnover rate is very, very high, most employees are there for less than three years. Very few people I met there were happy. You'd need to have very thick skin and quite a lot of patience to thrive there. It was a relief to leave.

Advice to Management

Improve process and time management. Schedule projects ahead of time and stick to that schedule. Get numbers solid FIRST, then produce presentation materials in order to avoid changing presentation materials multiple times as the numbers change. Lastly, think about why your employees depart as often as they do.

6. "1"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Research, team work, good people, creative, travel

Cons

hours, poor management, high turn over, work load, no training

"Good place to start your career."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Learn a lot from the principal. Good technical rigor. Casual work environment. Great clients if you are into medical. This is one of only 3-4 places in the country specializing in medical human factors.

Cons

The chief principal can speak very disrespectfully to employees, especially when they are experiencing challenges, and always after they've left the company. The technical nature of the work can be very tedious; some days it's downright boring. The environment could do much more to promote big-picture thinking.

Advice to Management

Be careful to make criticism constructive.
    Attend to the creative development of employees.
    Conduct big-picture brainstorms.
    Encourage collaboration & sharing of expertise and knowledge among employees.
    Conduct regular performance reviews, and tie them to growth in the company.

8. "Getting There"

Pros

Design Science is getting there! There is room for continuous improvement in all organizations, and DS is no exception. However, the company is leaps and bounds beyond its status when I joined a few years ago. Key individuals have helped usher in needed structure changes, standard operating procedures, etc. DS is a great place for proactive problem-solvers and self-starters. It is a small company, which affords the opportunity to have one's opinions heard and one's ideas make a difference. It is a rewarding place to invest time, where one can clearly see the impact of work accomplished. It's size allows for one-to-one interacts with experts in the industry, with whom one might not have the chance to work closely in a larger corporation. The staff like to have fun and most everyone gets along. I appreciate that knowledge sharing is a key part of the company culture. Lastly, the benefits are awesome! Currently the company pays 100% of individual insurance premiums. Who does that these days? Great PTO policy as well.

Cons

Design Science should continue to invest in structured internal training and professional development for its staff. While this has increased over the past year, there is still room for improvement. Generally, the company is open to investing in employees development, but if one is not vocal, one could get overlooked.

The company is navigating the transition from being under the co-leadership of two Principal/owners, to following the lead of its first-ever CEO. Lots of things are changing for the better, including increased sales/revenue, but the normal pains associated with quick growth and change are present. It will be interesting to see where the company is in a year from now.

Oct 21, 2016 – HR & Compliance Director

Thanks for your praise and suggestions. We appreciate both.

"ok"

I have been working at Design Science Consulting, Inc. full-time

Pros

Decent if you are right out of college as you work on a variety of different projects.
    People are great to work with, a very young vibe.
    Good work life balance, typically 9-5.

Cons

There is not much room for advancement. There are those who sit comfortably at the top and don't seem to plan on moving soon. They also tend to hire mid level employees externally, so if you started at the lower level, you probably won't move up.

Not much incentives to work hard, bonuses are meager, and you get some kind of cheap mug if you stay there long enough.

Some questionable decisions by the Principals. A San Bruno office was opened a year ago, and has already shut down. Hopefully the new CEO will change things.

Advice to Management

More incentives to stay.

Oct 21, 2016 – HR & Compliance Director

Thanks for the recommendations on incentives. Design Science has established a Longevity Incentives Program which rewards staff members with gifts ranging from a personalized company pint glass to an ... More

"Employee"

I have been working at Design Science Consulting, Inc. full-time

Pros

The work is interesting and you can feel good about making a positive and valuable contribution to advances in medicine and healthcare.

Cons

The organization is highly dysfunctional with "standards" , expectations, and SOPs that are always changing. People are promoted or fired abruptly. The new CEO takes his advice from people who either just are not that good at the work, or who only have a very narrow perspective, and the owners are just not paying any attention.

Advice to Management

Hard to know where to start.

Oct 21, 2016 – HR & Compliance Director

We are sorry to hear you did not have a more positive experience at Design Science. If you are still with the company, it is our hope that you have seen improvement in operations since you generated ... More

"20+ year old company that functions like a start up"

I worked at Design Science Consulting, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-good opportunity for those interested in medical devices or human factors
    -interesting work, good clients
    -lots of responsibility off the bat for both internal and client projects
    -travel
    -flexible hours
    -learn a lot, quickly

Cons

-employees at are not given adequate resources to do their jobs well. If they have to work with the main Principal, they are often berated or flat out insulted if things aren't exactly how he likes it.
    -the company tries to save money as often as possible, regardless of the impact on quality of work, e.g. chronic understaffing across all departments, over-emphasis on hiring low-cost fresh graduates
    -very high turn over rate at all levels - people either quit early on or are fired - and the few employees who have stuck around a while definitely use this to their advantage and sometimes can be unethical
    -a majority of day to day organization/management is done by employees with little to no outside corporate/business experience

Advice to Management

-hire a business development director to optimize the company structure
    -provide incentives for good employees to stay