Design Within Reach Reviews | Glassdoor

Design Within Reach Reviews

Updated November 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really good day-to-day work environment, team, organizational structure (in 10 reviews)

• Autonomous work environment, great product, met some great clients (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant issues with customer service and shipping/delivery (in 8 reviews)

• The executive team is oblivious to the needs of their workers, which leads to the high turnover rate (in 7 reviews)

"As Good as it Gets in Terms of Retail (I assume)"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative studio culture, great events, educational , trend forward, legally sound, generous benefits program, and intelligent down-to-earth coworkers.

Cons

HM will not have your back. Neither will senior management. Large orders will be granted to Contract (even if local accounts). HM will sell out from under you at reduced prices, and DWR management will look the other way. Proprietors of studios have little control over their own staffing needs.

Advice to Management

Haughty--Get off your high-horses. This still operates as a small business. Get your operations department togather if you care anything about service or revenue.

"Account Exec."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing product, fantastic in store team, meet wonderful people

Cons

terrible commission based pay structure, lack of responsiveness from corporate management, constant back end delivery issues both with intra-company operations and 3rd party delivery companies. Virtually no upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Get a new delivery company! Pay your sales people a living wage, and your turnover will be less.

"I worked 1 year at DWR Austin during the period of moving studio locations."

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative help for the sales team, working with the visual team to keep the studio up to standards, working to create presentations/renders for clients

Cons

Little creative work, retail job without retail flexibility, lack of communication between management in studio, micromanaging the staff, fairly high turnover rates

4. "not for everyone...."

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

great furnishings, great retail spaces

Cons

competitive atmosphere, mandatory both weekend workdays

5. "Crazy times"

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

A lot of great product

Cons

Focus of mgmt can be a challenge

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collection of products, comission

Cons

Constant issues with customer service and shipping/delivery.

7. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the greatest modern furnishings in the world!

Cons

All commission pay. Shipping is being overhauled as it has been a problem getting products to arrive in good shape.

Advice to Management

Divide sales into a true retail and commercial sales force.

"Social & Environmental Issues=Unfair & Unhappy Impact"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

First and for most the PRODUCT is the best of the best. I can not say anything more then, the new clients would walk into our Studio and just either get really into it and appreciate the product OR walk in a couple of steps, then turn right back around and head out where they came in from (I guess that COMO gave them a bit of sticker shock!)

Cons

Management IS and WILL BE the death of the AE/SA (Account executive/Studio Assistant) at these Studios. I VERY briefly worked at one of the Companies newest Studios located in Paramus, New Jersey-At Garden State Plaza, one of the BIGGEST malls I've ever been to in America. On any given Saturday, the Studio would basically become a meet and greet of some sort, just trying to engage with dozens and dozens of women, men and their children would be..lets just say, NOT worth it. Sales goals are ALWAYS being talked about, in a open matter. Hopefully you potential newbies won't be to shy in expressing yourself each and every working day on what your "Business looks like," and to be quiet frank, I CANT OPEN UP SOMEONES WALLET. Thats what it felt like over time, WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE. Sure, if I was working in one of the Manhattan locations , I'd be killing it, but here I was, in the middle of suburban NJ, trying to sell to clients that just aren't interested about the History, quality or value of these pieces I sold. They'd be more then happy going to one of the competitors down Route 17, and buying a comparable sofa, coffee table or lounge chair. Point blank, we are living in a new age of Retail, I've been in the game for a long time, I'd say, for a Mid-twenty something living in one of the Country's BIGGEST Metropolitan areas. People don't want to wait, pay for ANYTHING more then they have too, and lastly and mainly, people are looking for a DEAL! No one knows what tomorrow holds so they, like myself are a little worrisome on when and what we are spending are HARD earned money on. This is the classic U.S.A. mentality and is now in a place of GREAT DEPRESSION in our currant social economic AND political environment.

Advice to Management

For someone luck enough, like myself to get to meet the C.E.O. twice in one week, then one other time, right before I was let go, says something about the way a company works/communicates/functions in a general positive light! Unfortunately, at the end of the day, Mr.Edelman never responded to my email I sent him, after my demise, but that being said, I think it says a lot when someone is trying there HARDEST to survive and make it in this world, giving it there ALL, then suddenly one day, being called into a conference room, mid-day and being completely blind sided and told that, today will be your last day working for this company because of a "TONE" that I had in my voice towards my Proprietor. Get real, open door policies are just easy loop holes for discussing corporations to use on the people that threaten others by, the simple fact that, their motivation is SO POSITIVE, that unfortunately the people on the other side of the spectrum, to be fair, are lost for words. Well, I say to you, join the club, its going to be a bumpy one.

9. "Average"

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time

Pros

Good benefits & paid time off

Cons

Top heavy company. High turnover in some stores. Upper management puts the squeeze on front line employees to make it happen, with little or no support to close the deal.

Advice to Management

Give more support to your sales staff.

"Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great to work there
    Team players
    They really appreciate their employees
    Great flexibility
    Able to work from home
    Great breakfast

Cons

Pay is minimum
    I took a pay cut and was promised a raise
    But then that was basic