Desmarais Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Desmarais CEO John Desmarais
John Desmarais

"Summer Associate"

I have been working at Desmarais

Pros

A substantive glimpse into the actual work of the firm. Complete with genuine training and exposure to the firm's approach to trials. The people are great and there's always food around.

Cons

There realistically are no serious cons as a summer associate. Maybe I stay later in the evenings than my friends at other firms (5pm, really?), but it's because I'm working on something I want to work on. The firm will hand summers work that seems appropriate for the skill level with the emphasis on getting exposure to what working on patent litigation matters is really like.

Desmarais2018-06-25

"Fire 'em Up or Burn 'em Out"

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Desmarais full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really smart and kind attorneys with fun(ny) personalities Nice office environment - Casual dresscode, stocked kitchen, everyone knows each other and speaks to one another casually in passing, frequent happy hours and events Cases are collaborative and team-oriented, people aren't out to get each other Non-billable hours Great (free) benefits, big year-end bonus (for every position) Convenient location next to Grand...

Cons

The firm is known for its (obscenely) high attorney salaries (and bonuses - sometimes one in the summer and one in the winter!) but non-attorney salaries are in some, maybe many?, cases barely competitive. This contributes to an 'us' and 'them' class dichotomy. Aside from that, it was difficult for me to feel like my work was noticed or genuinely, uniquely appreciated by the managers I worked very hard to please day...

Advice to Management

It's okay to ask more out of your staff (re: professionalism, productivity, intelligence) and give them more in return -- pay, acknowledgment, opportunity. This treats everyone at the firm with the same lavish fairness, eliminates the 'us'/'them' groupings, and keeps staff fired up who are otherwise feeling burnt out.

Desmarais2019-01-08

"Former happy employee"

Former Employee - Litigation Support Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Desmarais for more than 3 years

Pros

#1 Intellectual Property Law Firm in New York, NY

Cons

Around the clock E-Discovery management - countless deadlines, high-pressure atmosphere

Advice to Management

None - fantastic company

Desmarais2016-06-10

"Miserable office environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Desmarais full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay and benefits and it's clear to me now that it's meant to persuade you to overlook all of the firm's issues and stay. You receive a raise whether or not you actually perform well.

Cons

Low morale, an office culture reminiscent of high school, incredible distrust and dislike of management, immature staff, high turnover. And at least while I was still there, it was abundantly clear who shouldered most of the work and who pretended to keep busy, which then meant everyone knew who to dump work on and who to avoid asking for help.

Advice to Management

Be a little more present and aware in the office. Have conversations with everyone, not just senior associates. Please don't pretend that office hours once every couple months for your staff will help. If you receive more than one complaint about the same problem, don't ignore it and allow it to persist.

Desmarais2016-05-24

"Associate"

I worked at Desmarais

Pros

Probably the biggest draw compared to other firms is that there is no billable hour requirement. That said, tracking billable hours would help management understand how much work the employees actually have.

Cons

Not as much mentorship for newer candidates. Folks are generally left to sink or swim on their own.

Advice to Management

Management should get more involved in providing guidance to associates. Sometimes simply speaking to associates, making small talk would raise the low level of morale.

Desmarais2015-05-07