Desmos Reviews | Glassdoor

Desmos Reviews

5.0
Eli Luberoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to do great work in technology and education!"

Current Employee - Teaching Faculty in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching Faculty in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Desmos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and generous time off. You won't find better a work / life balance at another startup.

Positive co-workers. Everyone focused on the mission, focused on doing good work, not on politics or clock watching.

Management is transparent with the business model and financials and the business is in great shape. Lately we feel a lot of freedom to set our quarterly goals so they satisfy our mission, not investors.

Also, in the most recent company survey, we all rated the company as extremely strong in categories of "remote work" and "meetings."

Cons

It's an early stage startup so it's small and everyone wears a lot of hats and does a lot of interesting work.

"A wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Desmos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team is a delight to work with. The people here are not only extremely competent at what they do (teaching, design, business, engineering, etc...), but are also thoughtful, communicative and responsible - a pleasure to collaborate with.

Even though we are primarily a frontend (javascript) shop, we do get to solve diverse and interesting problems - from the theoretical, algorithm-heavy work of rendering equations and creating our own scripting language, to the design and human-centered problems of creating very specific pedagogical interactions.

The mission of the company is great, and it is the most beloved ed-tech company in the world (just search for desmos on Twitter). I regularly get stopped on the street when wearing my company shirt by math teachers who love our stuff.

The company culture is also fantastic! We have flexible schedules and I work from home once or twice a week, since my commute is around 45 minutes. Sleep and time off work is seriously valued by everyone, as many people who work here have families and kids.

Cons

I feel like I couldn't work anywhere else. I've been spoiled.

On a more serious note, we haven't done a great job of recruiting folks from more diverse backgrounds. This is something that everyone is aware of, and is something everyone at the company is working on improving.

3. "Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Desmos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small, very driven and hard-working team. Not bogged down by large corporate BS. Remote work is an option, and great personal/vacation time policies.

Cons

I work remotely, so don't get to enjoy the great lunches provided at the office every day. Time zone differences between east and west coast might be a problem for some.

4. "Great colleagues; interesting work"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Desmos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Curious and humble, yet super smart colleagues who love to collaborate.
    • Deeply interesting work developing tools and supports for classroom use
    • Amazing ties to the larger community of math teachers, where the company has a tremendous amount of goodwill and support

Cons

• We badly need more diverse representation and voices. We know this and are working on it, but we're not there yet.

5. "Challenging, rewarding work. Amazing colleagues."

Current Employee - Lead Instructional Designer in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Instructional Designer in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Desmos full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work in an important field. Thoughtful colleagues. Friendly work environment. Remote-friendly.

Cons

We still have much room to grow when it comes to diversity. We're putting in work and making strides, but have a long way to go.

"Smart People Solving Important Problems"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Desmos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Desmos I am surrounded by some of the smartest and most dedicated people I have ever worked with. Everyone here is incredibly friendly and passionate about improving math education. We are a small team that is able to move at an incredibly fast pace because of great leadership and a desire to constantly be improving our products.

Some of the other things I love about working at Desmos:
    - We have a great community of users. Math teachers love Desmos and give us quick and valuable feedback whenever we release something new.
    - Great location (for me at least) in downtown San Francisco.
    - I feel like I learn something new every day. Since everyone has a passion for what they do, there is a natural instinct to share and teach.

Cons

I wish the team was more diverse. As the company grows I think it will be increasingly important to hire people with diverse backgrounds and experiences to help shape the company and our products.

7. "Desmos: A+ place to work."

Pros

- Extremely positive, collaborative culture.
    - Support from executives is top notch. They make sure you have the resources that you need to do great work.
    - Great company mission/vision. Desmos works closely with teachers to make sure the product continues to grow in ways that support student learning. The teaching community shows amazing support for Desmos.

Cons

I live in the south bay so my commute is a bit tough, and it’s not always easy to find street parking in soma.

8. "Smart and thoughtful team working to improve math education"

I have been working at Desmos full-time

Pros

- Smart, thoughtful, fun coworkers. I'm always learning something new.
    - Great mission and lots of love and support from the community (seriously, search for "desmos" on twitter)
    - We have a Teaching Faculty! Currently four full-time amazing former teachers guiding our pedagogy.
    - I genuinely love coming to work every day.
    - Free lunch, great snacks, unlimited PTO, yada yada

Cons

- About a third of the team is remote right now, some in different time zones. Slack really helps, but there is room for communication improvement.