Destination XL Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David A. Levin

Pros
  • Great customers and traffic flow (in 10 reviews)

• Salary is great for Store Managers and hourly rate is very good for Assistant Managers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No one in upper management really cares unless your one of the elite (in 18 reviews)

• Work/life balance is difficult at times for Store Managers, but such is retail (in 5 reviews)

1. "VP Investor Relations"

I worked at Destination XL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

open environment and everyone can participate in the growth of the business.

Cons

The customers are the most difficult to get to shop in specialty retail.

2. "manager"

I worked at Destination XL full-time

Pros

Gain excellent training in customer service.

Cons

Micro managed, tons of paper work, no room to grow, not enough/no media support/ advertisement to support sales plan and upt/dpt exaptation's.

3. "management"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really focus on the customer experience

Cons

upper management is secretive and highly opaque when it comes to advancement

Advice to Management

discuss realistic growth opportunities upon hiring

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant
    Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant

I have been working at Destination XL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my co-workers and manager. The guests are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Pay is not great.

6. "Small Company with Charm"

Former Employee - Guest Service Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Service Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at Destination XL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Each store is different but at my store the people where amazing! The clothes are quality and the atmosphere both working and shopping is great.

Cons

The pay wasn't great and there was little room for advancement. The amount of work was heavy for the staff limits and pay rate.

Advice to Management

Be open minded. Teach when it is presented to do so. Help prime your best employees for advancement. Keep strong communication within your store.

"THE WORST COMPANY!"

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Making the guests happy-customers are underserviced.

Cons

EVERYTHING! The BEST employees leave and bad ones stay [the pay is LOUSY for what they expect]. Ive seen some of the best Managers I've worked for/with leave this company. Then one is stuck with someone because he/she knows somebody that knows somebody--ARE YOU KIDDING MEEEE!....and they base ALL their decisions on hearsay NOT facts

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your incompetent buddies from T-Mobile/Men's Warehouse and its employees [no offense I'm sure some are good]. You get promoted or hired because of WHO you know (NOT on your experience or skills). Be ready to play a "dog and pony" EVERYDAY you go to work! Extreme Ownership! Who are you kidding?!!! The great managers get no support to rid the bad apples but yet are held accountable for THEIR actions--which one cannot control-WHAT! HUH?! [we are stuck with them!] Not a promising outlook for this company.

"Worst place to attempt to make a living"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Destination XL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None there was nothing positive in my working experience at DXL the pay, benefits and the training was horrific. Worst decision I ever made was taking a job there

Cons

Everything was bad!!!!!! The environment, the customers , unnecessary paperwork at the end of the night,the benefits as well as the pay. The worst 4months ever

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff, pay them accordingly

9. "pretty decent job"

Pros

its a pretty laid back job with great pay and they are really great about scheduling around your hours. You have to be smart about the brands they have if you wanna be good

Cons

a lot of the customers are really rude and pushy, they treat you bad. the job can get pretty boring and mundane. dealing with register sucks

"Horrible Leadership Expectations"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Destination XL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not many. If you have a good staff, you're shifts will be less stressful and a headache with good company. Some customers are great and become repeat guests.

Cons

They don't do raises. They believe after a 5 year pay freeze the way to get a "raise" is by selling more. How do you sell more when they give out the most off the wall coupons, high prices and lack of core sizing?

A store manager should be a manager, not a seller. The rate they pay managers is pathetic. Their commission system is only profitable if you work in a store that makes 2 million at least to have a stable income.

They have gone back and forth for YEARS over internal promotions, especially Casual Males to DXL store teams. They can run a good employee ragged sending them to other stores for "training" and "development" to get "more exposure" for a "future DXL position". They then hand it to some nobody who has never worked for the company before and doesn't learn much from 3 weeks of paid training. Oh, best part, they'll then ask YOU to TRAIN the new EMPLOYEE who basically took the position you were promised (and let me tell you they make A LOT of promises that lead to NO WHERE but frustration...and then DENY IT.)

And don't get use to your RMs, their average turn out is less than 2 years.

Advice to Management

Either promote your good employees who prove their worth or stop making promises and wasting their time, energy, and gas. The one thing they stress about is leadership, yet their leadership is horribly lacking.

And give a raises! Employee appreciate doesn't come from "selling better" on a commission structure that is horrible. Why have managers do so many reviews when you a) don't promote and b) don't give raises? It's so stupid.

"Corporate NOT supportive"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Detroit, MI

Pros

Not many. I can't really think of any pros because it's not like the pay was great or that the company cared about its employees in any way.

Cons

The particular location I worked at had very rude customers. They were messy, dirty, and constantly complained about prices. Corporate was constantly berating us to sell more, despite being located in a very poor area. So, eventually, they just ignored us. We were very understaffed and overworked and they didn't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more. You clearly don't care about your retail workers. Pay people a crappy wage and you get crappy workers.