Destination XL Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
David A. Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management expects too much (in 22 reviews)

• work life balance as with all retail is hard, no paid time off, no real room to advance unless you are willing to depend on commission (in 6 reviews)

1. "As a DXL manager I have experienced the growth of the company through different phases. Both smooth and bumpy."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Communication has been great between myself and my direct supervisor. I do see a company that wants to learn and grow.

Cons

Communication above direct reports is non existent. Struggles exist in the growth potential due to this. Both for the company and the individual.

Advice to Management

Open lines of communication with all to grow company and individual. Continued focus on tech and guest experience is esential.

2. "Branch Manager"

I worked at Destination XL full-time

Pros

strong infrastructure and senior leadership

Cons

long hours, no staffing budget,

Advice to Management

listen to your field leaders

3. "Unfair Company"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Destination XL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers were fantastic.
    Holiday hours weren't like mall holiday hours.
    Base plus commission

Cons

Unsupportive upper management
    Unfair HR practices
    Casual Males are turning into DXL's so if you inherit any Casual Male employees into a DXL 90% of the time they are disgruntled.
    Most of the regional managers, area VP's and anyone above the store level are all friends. So when a regional manager isn't doing what they are supposed to do instead of being terminated (when they should be) they create "new" positions to put them in.

Advice to Management

More diversity above the store level.

4. "I do like working here, But I lot of folding and hanging all the time"

Current Employee - Key Holder in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Key Holder in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Destination XL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy being that personal shopper for that customer, & we make commission

Cons

Sharing customers can be a challenge, and or rotating customers

"Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Allen Park, MI
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Allen Park, MI

I worked at Destination XL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. The remodeled stores look nice.

Cons

It is unbelievable how incompetent their management is. All they care about are the "numbers" without taking ANY consideration of the psychographics of the area. They are constantly losing good, reliable employees because of their poor management. Instead, they keep hiring unreliable people who insist they will make the numbers but then can't handle the ridiculous pressure. This particular location is considered a "black hole" and has a very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

You are very foolish. LISTEN to what your employees tell you. At certain locations, customers CANNOT afford the high end items. They will never buy suits.

"Working Hard for nothing!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Destination XL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They send store managers and assistant managers to California for 2 weeks training. Makes you feel like they take training seriously.

Cons

All of their systems from universe, to intranet and pos is not user friendly at all.Pay is not competitive to the current market, They rely on their so called commision rate of 2.5% to make up for their low base salary.

Advice to Management

Michigan is working on passing a law that makes all salaried employees hourly and paid overtime over 40 hours unless you are willing to pay them $69,000 annually. The reason for this is because many companies inlcuding DXL use their store managers (salaried employees) to work 48 plus hours a week. Working 60 to 70 hours a week and also trying to recruit on your only day off does not help establish any work life balance. You shoukd pay good employees that are willing to sacrafice their time, what they are worth.

"Not worth it"

I have been working at Destination XL part-time

Pros

Customers are very polite and much easier to help than other retailers.

Cons

Hourly structure is pathetic for the quality of employee they seek and there are no raises . If you are not a selling associate you will have to share 40 hours with 3 or more people. The sales are extremely hard to make and even when goals are met the commision is still less than 3 dollars an hour. Company has very high expectations and want to micromanage everything and give employees no freedom in how they work. The company does not provide the stores with the proper inventory and they do very little marketing and despite this the company will still blame the sellinf associates fot not making their goals. They refuse to help and will tellyou to "make your own raise."the pay structure is non-competitive which leads to low retention rates. At time you are left alone ,because there are not enough hours, and you are forces the employee to take on 2 jobs.

Advice to Management

Laydowns are not going to make this company successful. Stock your stores correctly, advertise as needed and appreciate your employees and stop opening stores! offer raises. Be more open and trust your employees do not try to control them.

8. "Keyholder"

I have been working at Destination XL part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, awesome staffing, focused company, in-company growth available

Cons

Slow at times, commission can be rough, raises only available once a year

Advice to Management

Keep training and teaching, it is showing in the company! Love what we do and what we stand for!

9. "Best in the in the industry"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparent from the top down and the bottom up.
    David Levin and Brian Reeves are passionate about their entire team and the guest experience. I have complete ownership of my four walls and can not imagine working somewhere else.

Cons

mid level technology currently but adding new systems frequently.

Advice to Management

continue in your passionate mission. We are BoBB.

"A perfect example, of absolutely terrible, abusive management."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Destination XL customers are, most often, truly wonderful people in need of fashion guidance, empathy, and someone who cares about their needs and likes.

Cons

This company has a cancer within senior leadership. A disease of abuse, mistreatment and apathy towards employees which rolls from the top down. Regional management is rife with abjectly terrible "leaders" with either no people skills or Napoleon complexes who verbally abuse, berate, and disrespect staff during their pointless and never ending "store visits."

Normally, a regular employee wouldn't even meet their regional manager, but at DXL, the regional managers "visit" your store constantly to spread their abuse, which is heaped on them from their own senior managers. This climate leads to total apathy and abuse of store level employees on a regular basis. All of which might be tolerable to some people, if the hourly pay wasn't disgustingly and immorally low.

The company continually hammers employees to meet high metrics for "Quality of Sale" and when those metrics are met and even exceeded, despite long odds, there's absolutely zero recognition of employee's hard work and dedication in the face of the dwindling and now dying store front market.

Advice to Management

If you want to succeed, reevaluate your senior leadership, dismissing the egotistical and abusive elements from leadership roles. With your abjectly low pay, abusive and out-of-touch Regionals, you've created a nasty and miserable trickle-down environment for your employees, which is even felt by employees who are, by far, exceeding goals, metrics, and expectations.