Destination XL Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David A. Levin

Pros
Cons
  • upper management is secretive and highly opaque when it comes to advancement (in 18 reviews)

• work life balance as with all retail is hard, no paid time off, no real room to advance unless you are willing to depend on commission (in 5 reviews)

"Lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move up with opening stores, good pay, easy work, lots of downtime

good mens suiting experience. You will learn how to visually identify alterable garments, adding $ to your sales and

Cons

customers have no social skills, super antisocial customers, smelly stinky customers, lots of poor fat people

health insurance is EXPENSIVE as hell

Advice to Management

Add those smell machines to every corner of the store :)

2. "The best retail experience I've ever had."

Current Employee - Guest Service Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Destination XL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

We make bigger guys feel normal. We're the best in the menswear business. We're taking an old-school approach of individual attention and bringing it to the modern guy. Excellent pay for retail. Very positive environment. Training is the best I've ever received. Great brands that bigger guys can't get anywhere else.

Cons

The schedule is retail, so evenings and weekends are required. While we don't practice high-pressure sales, it is definitely an important metric, and is stressed even to non-selling staff. Not someplace to work unless you want to know about menswear and feel comfortable showing high-end goods first.

Advice to Management

Training could be even better.

3. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Canton, MA

I have been working at Destination XL full-time

Pros

Management visibility, team-enviornment, good work-life balance, and open-minded.

Cons

Movement within can be hard and salaries for lower-level employees can be low.

Advice to Management

Invest in helping the culture of the company grow and offer higher salaries

5. "tailor"

Current Employee - Tailor in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Tailor in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Destination XL part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work 13 hours a week and I need another part time to help me with my bill.

Cons

I m available at second part time 3 days a week

"“Doing a good job here is like peeing your pants in a dark suit — you get a warm feeling but no one else notices.”"

Pros

When looking past the hustle and bustle of a typical day you notice that ultimately our guest leave the store knowing that we have truly care. We strive to make shopping the most pleasant experience possible. It feels good connecting to our guest by being able to share the highs and lows of life from weddings to funerals, CEOs to the average joe, old to young. We are simply grouped together by a XL life style. Knowing that as an individual YOU fit in and look good doing so is amazing.

As for the corporate culture...
    Upper management really makes you feel welcomed. I look forward to store visits knowing there is a genuine person that wants the best for every person that is in the store level.

Cons

Two people can see the same situation and precive it entirely opposite from one another. The way I see it, there is no cons in this job, just learning experiences.
    If there's a lot of work to do one person can feel overwhelmed however the other can see it as an opportunity to improve. Just remember the glass has 50% air 50% water, humans need both to survive. But i just wish my employee discount was more that 30%.

Advice to Management

Bravo! I admire strong leadership. Individuals come together to create great things by sharing common goals. In the greater scheme of things it comes down to a key phrase that I picked up from my final phone interview.
     "People work for people"- Jake Bell.

"Store Manager at DXL"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started as an Assistant Manager and was promoted to Store Manager in less than 2 years. Salary is great for Store Managers and hourly rate is very good for Assistant Managers. You also earn up to 5% in commission and can earn quarterly bonus. Commissions can be very good.

Benefits are better than average for retail in both cost and options on health, life, and disability insurance. Vacation is fairly standard for retail, but PTO is very generous.

While normal retail hours are required we don't have any crazy extended hours during the holidays like mall stores. We're also closed on Thanksgiving. Store Managers work 48+ hours a week, but schedules are flexible.

Customers are great and they like to interact with you. We have great brands like Polo, Lucky, and Brooks Brothers. We also have house brands that customers love and we offer a wide variety of prices.

Company also invests a lot of time in training when hired. You also get a lot of information on your business and your numbers. You can know every metric of your business, so you can understand your business.

Overall company is great and its growing. Upper management is invested in the success of the company and hard work is noticed.

Cons

Our biggest competition is our own website. Company does a lot of online only sales and it can be confusing to customers and disappointing to sales associates when we can't offer the same sale in store as online.

Store Managers and Assistant Managers are reviewed on the same metrics.

Advice to Management

Tailor reviews to each position instead of giving the same review to all management in stores. Store Manager reviews shouldn't be exactly the same as Assistant Managers.

Merge online and in-store sales, so customers get the same experience online or in-store.

Keep focused on growth and developing our teams. We have a great team at the home office and in the stores.

8. "Proud to be a part of this team."

Pros

Great advancement opportunity, as we are growing year after year. If you love to work hard, and provide a fantastic guest experience, you will go far. The home office and executive team truly believe in what we do, and listen to us, support us, and encourage us to be leaders in our business units. We also have a proud partnership with St. Jude.
    Holiday hours are VERY good. The company values time spent with family.

Cons

I have no complaints about DXL. I am proud to be a part of this team.

Advice to Management

Continue to involve Casual Male stores in town halls and other initiatives. There are many associates there that will be successful in DXL stores if they are not disconnected.

9. "great organization"

Pros

consistent product-- Very innovative CEO

Cons

inconsistent direction in the store operation dept

10. "I Love Working Here"

Current Employee - General Sales Associate
    Current Employee - General Sales Associate

I have been working at Destination XL part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, Good Working Environment, Flexible Hours, Holidays Off. Working here is really enjoyable and I love my boss and coworkers.

Cons

I really can't think of anything that's really a con about working here. The POS system is really annoying to work with sometimes and the websites crash a lot but other than that nothing really.

Advice to Management

Maybe set the sales goals for stores a little lower based on location. We work really hard to reach our goals but sometimes because of the location it's not possible.

"DXL"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Destination XL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my job! I honestly can say that! I have a great team and that makes what I do very easy. I love the transparency from the field and home office.

Cons

48 hours minimum a week makes the work - family balance a little much.