Detroit Business Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Detroit Business Consulting President Michael Rosenberg
Michael Rosenberg

Pros
  • This is a business development - sales and marketing company (in 9 reviews)

• Great starting point for a sales career in a great work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a door to door sales company (in 37 reviews)

• Door-to-Door Sales lack consistency, A lot of driving (no gas compensation) for little results (in 26 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Troy, MI

I have been working at Detroit Business Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Travel opportunities, solid management, fun environment, bonuses and paid training. Hard work is always recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Not for everyone, self motivation and a competitive drive required.

Advice to Management

More international travel!

2. "Fun People to work with/Terrible job, ownership screws employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Pros

I enjoyed some of the trips that we went on (all expenses are your responsibility besides hotel) because I enjoyed hanging out with coworkers.

Cons

The company does not value its employees at all. Every penny you make that same amount goes to management so they are just trying to have as many employees employed as possible because pay is entirely commission. You will rack up thousands of miles on your personal car and receive zero reimbursement even when you go on business trips. This business is 100% a scam that only makes the owner of the company rich. Expect to work over 50 hour a week minimum and even if you are one of the top employees in the office expect to consistently make only 600 dollars a week post tax.

Advice to Management

It absolutely baffles me that I was not told that his is a commission based job. In the interview I was told until promotion I would make 500 dollars per week and after promotion I would receive a raise. THIS WAS A FLAT OUT lie. As I mentioned before management wants as many employees as possible because it cost them nothing to employee you and they will literally tell you anything to get you to accept the job. Great jobs with great benefits do not exist if you have no training or experience. Also I many employees were openly racist and homophobic in the office on a constant basis and the workplace environment was very unprofessional.

"Unorganized - Avoid"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Cool environment but it isn't genuine.

Cons

Confusion in the office. Was told I had received the job through a phone interview, but was never given follow up information. When I called to confirm the receptionist said she had no information on me. I received a call back from someone else at 9:30pm on a Sunday telling me that I was due to start the next morning, when I had come to an agreement with a manager that I would start at another date.

That's not even the issue though, I had to fight tooth and nail just to get paid. More issues with management I guess.

Advice to Management

Do better.

"SCAM!"

Former Employee - Sales Marketing in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Marketing in Troy, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their culture is so much fun and positive. Everyone is really nice and they "want" you to grow. Personally I feel like its all fake so you wont quit. But if it was a legit job the culture would be amazing.

Cons

NO PAY! door to door They told me I would get a $600 sign in bonus for training and I did not. The catch which they don't tell you that training is $200 for 40+ hours and if you make 2 sales you get $200 a piece. So I was there for 2 weeks went out with my Team leader made 2 sales just like they said quit in January. You think I got paid? NOPE called my former team leader and he was like remember you were supposed to make 2 sales and I told him I did and he continued to lie and say that he would look into it. Never heard from him again. They don't teach you product knowledge just how to talk to people. Also beware they have a bunch of different business names within DBC so beware of all of them. Turn over is huge always interviewing a ton of people everyday.

Advice to Management

I don't know maybe pay your staff what you said you were going to pay.

"Stay away! If you'd like to learn how the business works then this comment will explain it best for you."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Look, there is only one hard pro about working in this place which is that you'll learn to fully research companies before working for them.

Cons

I promise you that this place is nothing but a waste of time. If you'd like to work door to door cold calling (not a single place that I went to was expecting me, do not believe them when they tell you that the list of the businesses that they will give you are interested customers because they're not), get paid only commission, use your own vehicle to get to all businesses and get no compensation for gas or miles (they'll tell you that you would get it when you do your taxes but trust me you really don't), get all fake smiles when you're in the office, work more 50+hrs/week almost for free then this place is for you. Let me explain to you how this business works. You go to the office at 8AM and you practice your script and play games sometimes with everyone (that's the fun part, although most people there have nothing but fake smiles) and then around 10AM you will head out to a list that they give you (I've gone ad far as 45-50 minute drives from the office) then you'll go door to door selling what ever the team you're on is selling (Comcast, att.. etc) and try to make a sale. For me, I sold Comcast so I'll continue how that goes. Once you make a sale, you get a 120% commission pay once 'confirmed' after about two weeks and so does the manager, 90% commission, who sat in the office or went golfing that same day. Once you get good (meaning now you're making one sale every other day), then they will give you people to train and if you make a sale, then the person that you're training takes 30% of your commission instead of the manager's commission who you're training that person for. You're basically busting your butt for a management that does not care about you or your development. Mike (the CEO) wouldn't shake hands with me because I did not have a tie on that day and left me hanging there in front of his manager buddy Kyle, who laughed it off like it was funny. They're very disrespectful and so full of themselves, I would not wish anybody to go through what I went through working for this company.

Advice to Management

Management knows 99% of their faults, and they don't care. I'll save my advice since they don't listen to any of them anyway.

"Want RESIDENTIAL DOOR TO DOOR sales? No $$ ?! Go For It!"

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE! why would i want to work for a shady company that doesnt pay you anything for the work you put in? the boss tries to charm you with his personality but i saw right through him. what a serious waste of time....

Cons

no benefits, co-workers were very caddy i felt like i was in highschool again. super unprofessional and not the environment i wanted. cops were called for unethical reasons. i ran FAST. moral of the story: if you want to be a part of the biggest pyramid scheme ever go for it!

Advice to Management

would it hurt you to just do the right thing and be honest?

"Suck cucumber"

Former Employee - Sales in Taylor, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Taylor, MI

Pros

None and you won't be able to find any pros. I promise they are just 100 percent fake with no experience and with no professionalism. Just run away.

Cons

Fake managers, lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies. Literally this company is a lie! Run away before wasting time over nothing!

Advice to Management

Stop wearing a suit! Just wear a pajamas because your place, carpet and desks are crappy old junk materials. Your suits are so ugly btw. Stop lying to others and find yourself a job.

"Very unprofessional and untrustworthy company specializing in door to door sales."

Former Employee - Account Representative in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Troy, MI

Pros

The office has a fun and energetic atmosphere to it. The managers are very friendly and helpful. If you show you are willing to work hard, managers show a sincere interest in your success.

Cons

Despite the nice atmosphere, this company has shown me it lacks in business ethics and professionalism. The only stipulations they made clear of working there for less than the 10 day minimum were the loss of the $200 signing bonus and the forfeiture of a portion of your paycheck to reimburse them for background check costs. However, they failed to mention that they use one of the most expensive background checks available, costing nearly $200. To elucidate what they fail to make clear, if you work for less than 10 days you will make $0. Despite this being illegal, this condition has become incorporated as a normal facet of business for them. This is all in addition to the fact that they deceitfully put new employees under the impression that this is a formal marketing job. The blatant truth is that this is a door to door sales job, regardless if it's "business to business". You still arrive unannounced to every building on the street to pitch cable services. You also are responsible for independently traveling to your assigned territories without expecting any sort of reimbursement from the company for gas or vehicle expenses. The dishonesty put in practice at Detroit Business Consulting is unequivocally unprofessional. If you are interested in working for a professional company with management you can trust, DO NOT work for Detroit Business Consulting.

Advice to Management

Be 100% honest with your interviewees. 75% honest is still dishonest. Also, I would suggest you provide your employees with some form of business cards.

"Really?"

Former Employee - Sales in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Troy, MI

Pros

I couldn't think of a pro even if I tried. If you're college educated, go find yourself a real job with a salary, 401k, full benefits and paid time off.

Cons

Isn't it ironic that nearly all the "positive" reviews occur on the same day? Go through a few page, you'll eventually get to the real reviews on this company.

"Great Experience and Travel Opportunities!!!"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Troy, MI

I have been working at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The amount of experience i have gotten here in the last 2 months i would actually pay them to give to me again. You get the opportunity to work with fortune 500 company's and learn how to do sales, training, interviewing and managing people on a day to day basis. Also I get to go to Orlando and visit another office with the managers along with the possibility to go to New York this summer and go on the company yacht.

Cons

I really can't think of any actual cons other than if your not a hard worker this is a tough job/career for you. This business weeds out the weak individuals and the growth is endless with the hard workers.

Advice to Management

The only advice to management i have is to be harder on all of us so we can move that much faster in the company.