Detroit Business Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Detroit Business Consulting President Michael Rosenberg
Michael Rosenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great starting point for a sales career in a great work environment (in 11 reviews)

• Hard work is always recognized and rewarded (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a door to door sales company (in 40 reviews)

• Door-to-Door Sales lack consistency, A lot of driving (no gas compensation) for little results (in 27 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time

Pros

Great people. Great Atmosphere. Ability to build your own team and advance quickly.

Cons

commission based (at least when i worked there, that may have changed)
    high turnover

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

"Marketing Internship"

Pros

Very Professional. everyone in the office was friendly and very professional

Cons

Did not seem very legitimate

"welcome to a nightmare"

Former Employee - SEO Recruiter in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - SEO Recruiter in Troy, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

casual work environment, full of entertaining itself

Cons

Everything about this company is fake and a shallow fabricated lie. Mike Rosenberg preys on new grads out of college that don't know any better and promises them a job full of opportunity, which is far from accurate. Not only did I discover that my job title was not even real in the professional job world (he made it up and turned it into a tactic for recruiting more interview candidates), but I vividly remember being responsible on occasion for entertaining a lobby of 10+ candidates who all knew something shady was going on. You could see people feeling weird that there were often 10-15 people of all ages and backgrounds applying for jobs at the same time for different companies in the same office that fits 30 people, max. We often didn't even have room for everyone leaving them to stand and kind of wonder what the hell was going on... I also watched so many HOPEFUL old men and minorities left waiting to be picked last for an interview, even if they arrived first. Mike Rosenberg did not make it a secret AT all that he didn't give an f about them representing his company or remotely show consideration for their time or enthusiasm for being there in the first place, it was heartbreaking. Mike Rosenberg was so focused on numbers he literally got me-specifically on a job posting for "sports marketing" when his company does nothing remotely close to it whatsoever. DBC sells door to door Comcast subscriptions, and so will you if you apply. They are called a multi level marketing scheme and better known as a pyramid scheme, and are a business subsidiary of Credico which is well known for its class action lawsuits for the practice of unethical and unsustainable business strategy. This company is riddled with dishonesty, unfair targeting, creepy marketing tactics, weird and uncomfortable behavior and is located in a vacant and empty foreclosed building. If you wonder why you are pulling into an almost vacant empty parking lot for an interview in a skycraper-level business building, you are getting the right idea.

Oh and most importantly, even tho he promised us salary + paid commission on our numbers every week, I had to confront him EVERY SINGLE WEEK bcs he underpaid me and pretended he "didn't mean" to forget adding commission to my check every week (sometimes up to/over $100 expected-missing, even around christmas). It was an ongoing issue that never once resolved itself. I knew girls who worked there much longer then I did that still felt upset and conflicted at being shorted on their paycheck and still felt uncomfortable confronting him about it. Try asking for your money you were owed, promised and expected and see how it makes you feel.

Advice to Management

dishonesty, the treatment of good people, and having no concern for customer/employee reviews will be your downfall

"Do your research"

Pros

They will buy you lunch during your first interview and you get to wear your favorite clothing items from forever 21

Cons

Door to door. Pyramid scheme.hardly any pay. You won't move up until you have tricked enough people into working for you

Advice to Management

Quick tricking people

5. "If you can't see the big picture and afraid of hard work then go apply at McDonalds"

Current Employee - Top Team Leader in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Top Team Leader in Troy, MI

I have been working at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is huge growth and opportunity if you work hard and set your mind on the bigger picture. Many people write bad reviews because they are the ones who have everything handed to them on a silver platter. You can't expect to be a boss if you are not going to start from the bottom and work your way to the top. Everyone is like family here and we all have the same goal. You can't find this just anywhere. Motivation and setting goals is the main key here at DBC.

Cons

Sometimes you will have bad days and it can affect your performance. However, you will have more good days then bad days. Honestly the only thing I can complain about and it's definitely not the business' s problem is the taxes on the commission. If you work hard you are going to make money and it's never capped.

Advice to Management

Management is sometimes a bit hard on people who are trying so hard to stay motivated. Just be a bit more understanding. Other than that I think everyone and everything at DBC is amazing.

"Fun People to work with/Terrible job, ownership screws employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Pros

I enjoyed some of the trips that we went on (all expenses are your responsibility besides hotel) because I enjoyed hanging out with coworkers.

Cons

The company does not value its employees at all. Every penny you make that same amount goes to management so they are just trying to have as many employees employed as possible because pay is entirely commission. You will rack up thousands of miles on your personal car and receive zero reimbursement even when you go on business trips. This business is 100% a scam that only makes the owner of the company rich. Expect to work over 50 hour a week minimum and even if you are one of the top employees in the office expect to consistently make only 600 dollars a week post tax.

Advice to Management

It absolutely baffles me that I was not told that his is a commission based job. In the interview I was told until promotion I would make 500 dollars per week and after promotion I would receive a raise. THIS WAS A FLAT OUT lie. As I mentioned before management wants as many employees as possible because it cost them nothing to employee you and they will literally tell you anything to get you to accept the job. Great jobs with great benefits do not exist if you have no training or experience. Also I many employees were openly racist and homophobic in the office on a constant basis and the workplace environment was very unprofessional.

"Unorganized - Avoid"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Cool environment but it isn't genuine.

Cons

Confusion in the office. Was told I had received the job through a phone interview, but was never given follow up information. When I called to confirm the receptionist said she had no information on me. I received a call back from someone else at 9:30pm on a Sunday telling me that I was due to start the next morning, when I had come to an agreement with a manager that I would start at another date.

That's not even the issue though, I had to fight tooth and nail just to get paid. More issues with management I guess.

Advice to Management

Do better.

"SCAM!"

Former Employee - Sales Marketing in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Marketing in Troy, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their culture is so much fun and positive. Everyone is really nice and they "want" you to grow. Personally I feel like its all fake so you wont quit. But if it was a legit job the culture would be amazing.

Cons

NO PAY! door to door They told me I would get a $600 sign in bonus for training and I did not. The catch which they don't tell you that training is $200 for 40+ hours and if you make 2 sales you get $200 a piece. So I was there for 2 weeks went out with my Team leader made 2 sales just like they said quit in January. You think I got paid? NOPE called my former team leader and he was like remember you were supposed to make 2 sales and I told him I did and he continued to lie and say that he would look into it. Never heard from him again. They don't teach you product knowledge just how to talk to people. Also beware they have a bunch of different business names within DBC so beware of all of them. Turn over is huge always interviewing a ton of people everyday.

Advice to Management

I don't know maybe pay your staff what you said you were going to pay.

"Stay away! If you'd like to learn how the business works then this comment will explain it best for you."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Look, there is only one hard pro about working in this place which is that you'll learn to fully research companies before working for them.

Cons

I promise you that this place is nothing but a waste of time. If you'd like to work door to door cold calling (not a single place that I went to was expecting me, do not believe them when they tell you that the list of the businesses that they will give you are interested customers because they're not), get paid only commission, use your own vehicle to get to all businesses and get no compensation for gas or miles (they'll tell you that you would get it when you do your taxes but trust me you really don't), get all fake smiles when you're in the office, work more 50+hrs/week almost for free then this place is for you. Let me explain to you how this business works. You go to the office at 8AM and you practice your script and play games sometimes with everyone (that's the fun part, although most people there have nothing but fake smiles) and then around 10AM you will head out to a list that they give you (I've gone ad far as 45-50 minute drives from the office) then you'll go door to door selling what ever the team you're on is selling (Comcast, att.. etc) and try to make a sale. For me, I sold Comcast so I'll continue how that goes. Once you make a sale, you get a 120% commission pay once 'confirmed' after about two weeks and so does the manager, 90% commission, who sat in the office or went golfing that same day. Once you get good (meaning now you're making one sale every other day), then they will give you people to train and if you make a sale, then the person that you're training takes 30% of your commission instead of the manager's commission who you're training that person for. You're basically busting your butt for a management that does not care about you or your development. Mike (the CEO) wouldn't shake hands with me because I did not have a tie on that day and left me hanging there in front of his manager buddy Kyle, who laughed it off like it was funny. They're very disrespectful and so full of themselves, I would not wish anybody to go through what I went through working for this company.

Advice to Management

Management knows 99% of their faults, and they don't care. I'll save my advice since they don't listen to any of them anyway.

"This is the truth about the business MUST READ"

I have been working at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After reading through the reviews I am going to simply say this. They completely false and a misrepresentation of what DBC is. The problem with some of the negative reviews is the fact they never did research on the company, never did research on what direct sales are, were not clearly listening in the interview and just wasted valuable time. I have done this for a long time and because I stuck with the company and yes some of what I personally did was going residentially and actually made a difference. When I first started I worked with charities saving children who were homeless and in poverty. We save over 3,000 children that year both in the US and other countries. We helped many other non profits in so many ways as well. Do people not realize it is the the many Fortune 500 and 100 companies who chose the practices for how which they want to reach the masses. What this business did more me was made me a stronger person and not being afraid to learn and grow from the bottom up. This business is not a pyramid scheme where you have to pay to work here, or a commission only job, the pay structure is based off the many clients we work with. If I did not see the growth myself, how someone can grow quickly into management yes it would be hard to believe at first, but I did it. A top work place for 6 years in a row along with a picture in the news paper. This is my honest review of working here. I love what I do everyday and being in a fun, vibrate, family oriented place to grow and have fun while doing it.

Cons

It shows your true colors, the mentally weak from the strong, the minimum wage mind set with the millionaire dream from the one who will do what others won't. The reviews speak for themselves. Who made it and who weren't humble enough to actually work for their success. Lastly their failure to do as they called it "try".

Advice to Management

Don't stop being great, and providing opportunity!