Detroit Labs Reviews | Glassdoor

Detroit Labs Reviews

Updated Aug 28, 2019

3.4
Detroit Labs Co-Founder & CEO Paul Glomski (no image)
Paul Glomski
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Mobile App Developer

I have been working at Detroit Labs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people/team members/leaders Great benefits Culture that encourages growth and development Willing to do the hardest work to stay a flat organization Flexibility in work life balance Listens to team members and iterates on improvements

Cons

Being flat means that some changes take time to develop and implement

Advice to Management

Continue to strive to do what needs to be done to serve the team members

Detroit Labs2019-04-21
  2. "Great job for entry level developers"

I have been working at Detroit Labs full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Super flexible work life balance policies -Interesting and open coworkers -Great place to be a developer as the culture is super developer centric -Apprentice program is a great way that Detroit Labs supports the local community -Great office in downtown with parking -Being an agency you have a lot of freedom to try new things, languages, methods, team structure etc -Yearly budget for conferences and other trainings -A lot of freedom period. To try new things, learn new things, work remotely etc -A tight knit team that you get really close to

Cons

-Flat structure makes Detroit Labs hard to navigate, know if you are being successful in your role or make change. In truth the structure does exist it is just not acknowledged and it has turned a lot of the culture sour -No career progression available outside of learning new technologies -The founders have a very passive but ever present approach with Detroit Labs, they don't take an active role in the day to day operations but decide at a high level what is helpful and not for the culture without all the context -There is no formal HR in place so feedback sessions, compensation conversations, and other HR related needs tend to fall between the cracks at a huge cost to the individuals -Roles that support developers (designers, delivery leads) tend to not have as much support, growth opportunity, and have much higher stress as those roles are stretched thin - those roles also do the majority of client management so the job demands a lot -The sales process doesn't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason, we target a lot of opportunity in the Detroit metro area but there is no real criteria for the clients that Detroit Labs decides to take -Being a part of the QL umbrella has its pros and cons, good benefits on the one hand, but we are held a bit hostage to working on their projects and their ethos. Dan Gilbert is a polarizing person to the people of Detroit and it seems to be at odds with a lot of the principles that Detroit Labs touts -Compensation is low for the market with little room for movement, although the year over year revenue of the company grows by nearly 20%

Advice to Management

-Implement a professional HR team immediately to help keep talent, keep culture healthy, and relieve the weight of recruiting and hiring from your talent that is doing a full client work load -Formalize the structure that already exists -Reevaluate comp based on the market, growth, and any discrepancies -Put the flag in the ground of sales we want to take and why -I think Paul Glomski is doing a good job managing the company with rapid growth - my rating on CEO job performance is as it relates to his cohorts and the larger founder group, Dan Ward and Nathan Hughes

Detroit Labs2019-08-28

"Poor Company Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

• Most DL employees are super open, fun, and collaborative. • Flexible with working from home/remotely

Cons

• Detroit Labs' company culture is extremely strange and toxic. The company functions as a Holacracy (look it up), with an extremely flat org structure. There is functionally no management except for the company founders, and they are utterly uninterested in improving the day-to-day of the company. • Compensation is poor, as are benefits.

Advice to Management

Care about your company culture, and improving the workplace. You founded a company, you can't just put your feet up and rely on low-level employees to make changes.

Detroit Labs2018-06-01
  4. "Nice place to work"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Detroit Labs

Pros

They have bikes you can ride at any time.

Cons

There's always food! It's hard to watch your weight.

Detroit Labs2017-07-14
  5. "Wonderful Experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Detroit Labs

Pros

Very balanced and well-rounded community with great benefits and a desire to promote diversity and inclusion. Detroit Labs delivers great quality products and has an amazing workforce. Best of all, Detroit Labs focuses on fostering company culture and maintaining a productive environment.

Cons

As an intern, our measure of "success" for a project was occasionally ambiguous, but this was pretty much the extent of the cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Consider providing a bit more structure for the internship program.

Detroit Labs2017-04-22

"For the most part an amazing company"

Former Employee - IOS Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team is very close and enjoy working together. There is a strong desire to build something great and a shared pride in the company. The culture is set up to bring out the best in people and both inspire and support them to grow in different aspects of their life. The office is amazing and everyone has large amount of personal freedom. I truly enjoyed and took pride in being a part of this team and would consider the 6 months that I was there a highlight of my life.

Cons

I was fired from Detroit Labs based on a story that was not true. It was a ridiculous version of what happened in reality, distorted to fit the agenda of those who accused me. However, I am more upset about the way that I was fired, as it was done extremely quickly and with almost no communication. In fact, there was documentation stating my termination before anyone spoke with me at all. Nobody cared in the least what I had to say about the situation. I had made a big personal commitment to the company, even relocating downtown to be close to the office. Yet after I am accused of something I am thrown out without being able to defend myself. Despite what happened to me, I definitely would suggest working here if you can. Just be cautious of the friendly atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Thank you again for the opportunity to be a part of your company. It was because of you and your apprentice program that I was able to start a career in development. You are doing a lot to inspire people and change lives. But don't be cowards. When someone joins your team, be prepared to stand up for them. At the very least, communicate with them before you throw them to the curb.

Detroit Labs2016-01-22

"Employee"

I worked at Detroit Labs full-time

Pros

DL had a great leadership team who cared deeply about the company and their employees. They tried to bring in work that would be exciting and interesting for the developers. We had great benefits through Quicken Loans.

Cons

The parking situation wasn't great. Had to walk a few blocks to the office although parking was paid by the company.

Advice to Management

Keep driving hard. You're building something very special for the team. The team will rally if pushed strongly by leadership to perform. Don't be shy.

Detroit Labs2015-06-22