Detroit Medical Center Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Detroit, MI

2.9
Dr. Tony Tedeschi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work wonderful team work (in 9 reviews)

• You learn a lot, but that's because you're overworked (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot of room for growth within the company (in 7 reviews)

• Little to no room for growth or advance opportunities within the department or company (in 10 reviews)

1. "Learn a lot, fast paced environment."

Current Employee - Staff RN in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of different patients with difference disease processes, efficient orientation process, helpful coworkers, safe place to work on midnights, exciting

Cons

Management could be better, it seems quite unorganized. Not many raises- other area hospitals get more raises. Pt population can be quite challenging

"Sad. Really just sad!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Only pros for chief officers. Everyone else is fodder for the rich and power abusing elite.

Cons

When you think it can't get worse, it does. How much money does a CEO, CFO, COO....need. How about valuing hard working employees. Instead the greed of this horrible company is steeling more money from employees for crappy health insurance. We have to be stuck going to offices where staff could care less. They don't even answer the phone most of the time. Across the board DMC clinics have rude, and uncaring staff. Why? Because they are being mistreated too. We pay more for insurance, but no pay increases. Why? Tenets greed and mismanagement of funds.

Advice to Management

Managers have no say here. I feel sorry for them. They are supposed to be yes men. The should read advice to chiefs and shareholders.

3. "Overall so far so good"

Current Employee - CNA in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - CNA in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work wonderful team work

Cons

None I would say if your going into nursing the experience is great!

"Great experience!"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Environment, Opportunity for advancement, Annual tigers game payed by CFO

Cons

Not the best pay, Long commute if you don't live downtown

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Would NOT work for Tenet again"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn a lot, but that's because you're overworked. If you move between Tenet facilities you keep your seniority.

Cons

Since becoming a Tenet hospital there have been significant, and rather unsavory, changes. Particularly in that they have removed the care out of patient care. The focus is too much on financial bottom line, meaning they've cut staff repeatedly, often at the cost of the patient. Employee benefits have gone down the drain, despite Tenet's promise that nothing would change with our insurance. Above all, Tenet no longer cares about the "why" of what we do, to help patients and our community. They only care about pleasing investors.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing solely on financial gain and put patient needs back into patient care. Listen to your employees - they are the lifeblood of your organization.

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The insurance is good to have and the company offers tuition reimbursement.

Cons

The department is completely overworked. Never recognize when you've gone above and beyond the call of duty, management is no help when in need of help and is very vindictive if you go over their head go get the help you need. Little to no room for growth or advance opportunities within the department or company. They only hire men instead of women

Advice to Management

Don't judge the work ethics of a person just by the sex of the person. Listen to your staff more, most of them have good ideas. Don't be vindictive when your staff is honest enough to come tell you when something is wrong or when you were wrong. You need to hire better management with people skills with an open door policy.

"RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Medical Center part-time

Pros

I worked 27 years as an RN, but decided to retire early. In my career, I have met some beautiful people...staff and patients. I never would have had the blessing of meeting these people and caring for their needs if I was not an RN. As a patient, I received excellent care from the physicians and the staff. There are many dedicated, hardworking staff at the DMC.

Cons

Since TENET took over, I see a decline in the quality of care because of the staffing cuts. There is a disrespect in the way staff are treated by TENET. I have seen management who have dedicated many years of their lives to the DMC be walked out by security because they were no longer needed. There is a lack of honour and respect for those people who gave years of sweat and blood to make the DMC what it is today. It hurts me to see this. Another problem is the cuts in staffing. I realize that there are financial concerns and I don't know what their budget is. Health care is costly to pay staff and for the supplies needed to run a hospital. Cutting costs is a reality, but at the same time, patients deserve excellent care. It is difficult to make hourly rounds when I have 6 couplets on postpartum. This is 12 patients to care for and chart on. I can't do it anymore. I feel like I am running in circles just to barely get the job done. To me it is not just a job. It is a vocation which involves interaction and care of patients....not running from room to room spending very minimal time with each person. If there is an emergency with a patient then it is awful because no other patients can receive excellent care if you are tied up. The cuts in clerks make it impossible to be with the patients, chart, and answer phones and call lights. The desk is chaotic. Also, when an employee is off on medical leave, we have limited income, yet we receive this bill to pay for the medical care and if it is not paid we are cut off of medical care when we need a physician most. I see people undergoing chemotherapy and all sorts of health problems coming back to work early, while they are still not well, so they don't lose their medical care. It is awful that staff who dedicate their life to the hospital are treated this way. I don't want to be an RN anymore because I find it too stressful the way health care is changing to cut costs at the expense of the patients and the staff. I don't like the way my fellow coworker's in management were treated after years of service. They are not just numbers, they are people who dedicated their lives to make the hospital what it is today. I am leaving and retiring early to enjoy the rest of my life. I had a great career and I wish everyone the best in their career. It is all about just enjoying the people we interact with, despite the changes and cuts.

Advice to Management

Please have more compassion for patients and staff when decisions are made. Treat people with respect. Stop bringing patients who lost babies to the postpartum unit because it hurts them and they deserve compassion. I know it is hard because financial budgets are a reality. I respect that and sincerely care. I felt blessed to have some great managers throughout the years. I think it is all about the people. If staff satisfaction is down then patient satisfaction and care will be effected. We must always try to keep staff morale up by focusing on the good as well as the bad stuff. Team work is the key to staffing cuts, because working together to keep patient satisfaction up and give excellent care is the only way!!!!

8. "A good place to work."

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. It can be a great learning environment if you choose to pursue it.

Cons

The scheduling can be a problem for people NOT going to school for a higher degree.

Advice to Management

Please do not give all the schedule perks to the people going to school. I went to school and worked full time and nobody gave those of us going to school at the time all the schedule preferences.

"PMCA"

Former Employee - Pmca in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Pmca in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Desperate and you really need a job would be the only reason to work at the DMC there are really no pros here they don't even say a simple thank you for staying over they will work you like a dog and one wrong move your in the office getting a write up

Cons

Mangement is not fair at all they do not understand that their employees has a life outside of the DMC not to mention the DMC care is expensive but they they switching to Aetna no employee perks at all Mangemant of the Admitting and ER department is horrible they are bully's at the children's hospital

Advice to Management

Don't work for the DMC unless your really desperate for a job.

10. "Good Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid Benefits for part-time employees, help people

Cons

Healthcare field, demanding, scheduling, weekends, angry patients