Cover image for Detroit Symphony Orchestra

38% Recommend to a Friend
55% Approve of CEO

Found 23 of over 26 reviews

3.2
Detroit Symphony Orchestra President and CEO Anne Parsons (no image)
Anne Parsons

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
    There are no pros to display at this time.
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great people!

Dec 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great orchestra, great organization

Cons

Can feel a bit siloed at times

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Strong mission orientation, lots to do

Sep 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Passionate, hardworking, fun colleagues - Amazing orchestra and concerts - Comp and discounted tickets - Caring, supportive managers - Senior leadership who are open to feedback and change - Fantastic benefit package

Cons

- There is a lot to do, as noted in other reviews. It can be easy to overwork if you do not set boundaries. However, I found strong support from my manager when I need to prioritize, reprioritize, and have never felt pressure to burn myself out.

3. Join the Detroit Symphony Orchestra team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

"Accepting that job was the worst financial mistake I've ever made."

Sep 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I gained lots of experience and grew so much. Unfortunately, the bad outweighed the good in the end. - The best part was the high-energy, forward-thinking, collaborative, and creative work culture. I was encouraged to experiment and wasn’t penalized for taking risks. - DSO by reputation attracts an amazing talent pool. I loved the majority of my colleagues, although too many friendships started through trauma bonding. - If you’re not too fried and/or busy to care, the quality of the artistic product is excellent, and Orchestra Hall is a beautiful place to enjoy it. - The insurance is great. It helps cover the therapists, antidepressants, and benzos you may need to cope or even just function in this environment. - This place is for you if you’re a resourceful go-getter who thrives working under pressure in an environment of organized chaos. You’ll be thrown into the deep end of the pool from day one with little-to-no training or support, which can be a pro or a con depending on how confident and motivated you are.

Cons

- Toxic leadership -- the dysfunction starts at the top. I never felt employees were regarded with much care or respect and the leaders seem to bury their heads in the sand on the issue of the extremely high turnover. - Hours are long. It’s common to be expected to work standard office hours plus nights, weekends, and holidays. I averaged 50-60 hours a week most of the year. - The pay is almost offensive. Accepting that job was the worst financial mistake I’ve ever made. I’m still digging out of debt because I simply couldn’t afford to live on my salary, even with side hustles. I left for a comparable organization that offered me DOUBLE my DSO salary to do the same work. - Burnout is the norm. (See trauma bonding and insurance in the pros above.) - Compared to other peer organizations of this size, they don’t employ adequate numbers of staff needed to fulfill the huge volumes of output. (Hence the long hours, burnout, and turnover.) - Upward mobility is nearly impossible. If you want to work and grow at DSO, proceed with caution. Learn from my mistakes. Accept the job level and salary you want right now and don’t hold high hopes for a raise or promotion. My best advice for anyone is: spend a couple of seasons for the experience and the cachet of the DSO for your resume and GET OUT.

Continue reading
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

DSO employee

Sep 29, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Access to great music Gain lots of experience Mobility

Cons

Intense Long hours Aggressive Sometimes hires questionable people

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Health Care's the Best

Sep 14, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to begin a career in many areas

Cons

Not enough understanding and respect for people's roles and responsibilities across the organization

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great orchestra, mediocre workplace

Apr 7, 2022 - Box Office Associate in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Complimentary tickets, coworkers were pleasant

Cons

Low pay, mediocre management, full-time staff is overworked.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Awesome symphony

Jul 13, 2020 - Ticketing Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

My favorite thing about working for the DSO was all the comp tickets! We get weekly emails letting us know what performances we can go to for free and there's no limit on how many tickets you can get. I would leave tickets in Will Call for my friends all the time. Additionally, anything that you can't get comps for you can still purchase at 20% off. If you are a musician looking for a part-time gig or some extra $$, I would highly recommend! Michelle Marshall, the Box Office Manager, is a gem. You can't have a better boss.

Cons

Pay is $11.50. Not a whole lot....but there is definitely area for promotion and internal growth however! They always announce new positions internally and are really good about encouraging moving up in the DSO. A lot of full-time staff in the higher levels started out working in the Box Office as a Ticketing Specialist.

Continue reading
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Benefits, Terrible W/L Balance

Jul 10, 2021 - Branch Service Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

World class orchestra, 403(b) match, excellent medical insurance

Cons

High turnover and burnout rate, poor work/life balance, under staffed admin

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

ResponsibleforMonitoringphonesandwindows

Oct 20, 2020 - Ticketing Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

my team, I worked with

Cons

I couldn't think of any cons

11. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Work Environment

Aug 26, 2020 - Ticketing Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work environment, flexible scheduling, free tickets

Cons

Low salary, some poor communication

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews