Deutsche Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Christian Sewing

3,958 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be tough as an analyst but nothing out of the ordinary for investment banking" (in 150 reviews)

• "Long hours, as to be expected in the job" (in 173 reviews)

1. "Great place to work. Highly recommend"

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

Smart, nice people. Enegectic Managment,

Cons

Tough times at the company;

2. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Analyst in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, and minimum management; good working environment

Cons

Flexible, minimum management, poor organizational structure & low communication between teams

3. "Good benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable salary.

Cons

Many of the decisions are made in Germany. Very strict regulatory environment.

4. "company atmosphere"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Deutsche Bank (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, location is great in NY and they are planning to move to upper west side which will be even nicer. Need to get into right teams for growth

Cons

Bank is going through major changes which is having impact on morale of employees for next few years

5. "Analyst/Associate"

Former Employee - Institutional Sales Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Institutional Sales Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros at DB include great work-life balance. The people are great; during my three year tenure I forged lifelong friendships with people I'll be in touch with for the rest of my life. Vacation days for those at the analyst/associate level can go up to 28 days for the full year, include rollover days, which is awesome! Fairly lax management who allows you to take the reigns without too much micromanagement. This obviously depends on the team, but I was on three different teams in three years and found that I was able to have free reign without too much pushback under the management I had to deal with.

Being able to have full access to the cafeteria in the basement as well as good La Colombe coffee across the street is also a nice perk. Everything you need is essentially within an arm's reach in FiDi.

Cons

Cons: pay is WELL below market value across front, back and middle office functions. People are generally jaded due to low P&L generation as well as less deal flow due to DB's recent reputation on the Street. Because of the aforementioned factors, DB is losing out on young talent rapidly because they are unable to compete with comparable offers other investment banks are giving to those who have decided to jump ship. Moreover, recruiters are actively reaching out to and poaching Deutsche employees due to the current state of the place. It's sad because in its hey-day, DB was probably one of the top European investment banks to work for and now everyone talks about it as though its a modern day Titanic.

Senior managers are also being pushed out due to being too expensive. Even those higher-ups who do generate P&L have been let go because Deutsche simply cannot afford to keep them on payroll. Cost-cutting is the name of the game and it has sadly made for a very angry and frustrating work environment.

Lastly, Deutsche's infrastructure is so broken and bureaucratic it makes it virtually impossible for front office to generate new business. If a counterparty wants to set up a subaccount to trade a certain product with DB, the process takes weeks when it should only take 10 minutes. If an entirely new client wants to trade with us, forget it... that process can take months. Sometimes, by the time an account gets up and running to trade, the client is so disenchanted with our disorganized onboarding process that they decide the hassle isn't worth it.

Overall, I gained a lot of knowledge during my three years at DB. It was honestly an awesome place to start a career and build a decent nest egg, but if you're looking for A-grade comp at an uber competitive investment bank, look elsewhere as DB will only provide you with enough to get by and the place itself isn't terribly competitive because they can't afford to be.

Advice to Management

This advice is more to the board of directors: stop cost-cutting in a way that is penny-wise and pound foolish. Look at revamping infrastructure instead of creating a self-checkout pantry so you don't have to pay someone to scan items for us. Incentivize and set a new standard for the corporate culture in Jacksonville so onshore offices can feel like we are working with people who actually care about keeping the place afloat. Lastly, definitely stop expanding your India offices; the turnover is so high and the management there has no sense of the bigger picture and is only interested in handing over process memos to their new hires without any consideration for thinking outside the box.

Good luck.

6. "Assistant Vice President"

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

Great people, good base pay, diverse culture, engaged employee resource groups

Cons

No bonus, poor technology/infrastructure, poor management, lack of communication, too long to make decisions

Advice to Management

Rethink processes - let's take the time to rethink our processes and how we spend our resources. Challenge the status quo and listen to ideas. We should take the time to revamp how we do things to do them smarter, more efficient and with fewer resources. Doing something the way we have always done it does not work anymore and we need to re-evaluate how we make decisions. Hire the right people so you don't need so many approvals to action any action or change. If you trust your employees, empower them with opportunities to make a difference

7. "Eh."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good starting point.

Cons

Management does NOT care about you; they just want to see numbers, toxic company practices, raises are abysmal or absent entirely. I’ve held positions before this one where requesting time off was not an issue nor limited.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Stop micromanaging and treating your workers like children. This isn’t high school.

8. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The lowest level employee receives a four week holiday. There are opportunities to make lateral moves within the company within 18 months.

Cons

The cliquish behaviour and office politics can sometimes get in the way of genuine collaboration between departments.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't know where to start

9. "It was nice while it lasted"

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time

Pros

The majority of others who worked there were a pleasure to be around. The company promotes healthy lifestyles by sponsoring activities away from the office (e.g. soccer, basketball, volleyball, golf, softball, kickball). Good cafeterias on both campuses. Very good benefits package. The most generous amount of vacation days out of all companies for which I've worked.

Cons

This didn't happen to me, but some areas were always behind on work because of inadequate staffing. Bonuses were the same across the board despite one's performance.

10. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexibility, opportunities, learning , growth, enriching

Cons

none that I can highlight

Advice to Management

Less changes in Mgmt, improve speed of execution

Showing 3,958 of 4,471 reviews