Devine, Millimet & Branch, P.A. Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Working with lawyers"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Manchester, NH

Pros

The money was good, many of my fellow secretaries were good friends. The HUman Resources Director tried to make it tolerable.

Cons

Working with mega egos that lawyers have. One attorney inherited most of her clients yet thought she was self made...her fellow partners laugh at her as she sits at her computer speaking to clients while playing solitaire

Advice to Management

None they wouldn't listen anyway...

2. "Don't trust anyone."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I worked at Devine, Millimet & Branch, P.A. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salary was good and benefits fair. Made good friends (secretaries/receptionists).

Cons

Firm states we are a team but the team is the lawyers only. Dedicated over 10 years and during a difficult period in my life, they were more than happy to kick me out. Very good at papering the personnel file. Don't expect any loyalty from attorneys. Only care about the money and could care less about the people who work for them. Just remember, at any level in your experience, you have to be perfect, don't ever make one mistake or it's your job. Attorneys can make mistakes but don't you dare. Or should I say, the lawyer can't handle their department's A/R and your the first to go.

Advice to Management

Learn that it's the best support staff that keeps the firm running. Learn some compassion instead of the mighty dollar.

3. "Great place to learn lawyering."

Current Employee - Insurance Defense/Insurance Coverage Associate in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Devine, Millimet & Branch, P.A. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience learning the insurance defense/insurance coverage ropes from senior associates and partners. Attorneys had a very "open door" policy and were very open to mentoring on both a formal and informal basis. Significant opportunities to get pretrial, courtroom, and appellate experience early in legal career. Terrific firm reputation and distinguished firm alumni.

Cons

Long hours and heavy case load in insurance defense, but this was/is fairly standard in the industry.

4. "Excellent pay and benefits, supportive and nice co-workers--"

I worked at Devine, Millimet & Branch, P.A. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well-established full-service law firm. Very competitive pay and benefits (with yearly raises), nice working atmosphere. Stays up-to-date on technological issues.

Cons

Extremely elitist lawfirm, many of the attorneys (especially the old-timers) could care less about staff, especially if it affects their pocketbook. If you're a staff member, you're just that--a staff member.

5. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Andover, MA

I worked at Devine, Millimet & Branch, P.A. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was great for the area and the benefits were good. The people were fantastic to work with as well. Although they laid me off they were generous in giving me a severance package and keeping me on board for as long as they could.

Cons

Management would keep staff in the dark and they made major mistakes by allowing rainmaking attorneys to leave the firm which has left them vulnerable.

Advice to Management

Management needs to put their egos aside and figure out what is best for the firm before they go under. They need to consider the staff and lawyers that are left and do what is best for them and the clients.

6. "It's all about who you work for."

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Manchester, NH

Pros

Comfortable working environment and kind, plesant co-workers. Continental breakfast for staff every Friday. Free soda fountain.

Cons

The salaries are low compared to other mid-size firms in the area. It's a bit old fashioned and segregated, with support staff not included in many functions which can be demoralizing. We are often told the firm is in good shape financially with the irony being that this is said around the time of a salary freeze or layoffs.

Advice to Management

Please provide more incentives for good staff to stay. This should include being informed about what is happening within the firm more often. If things are going to change, call meetings to let us know what is going on; not everything needs to be a secret.

7. "Great firm to work for- solid experience so far."

Current Employee - Associate in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Andover, MA

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth early on as an Associate. It's fun to work for a mid-sized firm that competes with big Boston firms. There are opportunities that young Associates have at Devine that they wouldn't dream of at a Boston firm until well into their third or fourth year as an Associate.

Cons

Becuase Devine is smaller than the Boston firms, the salaries are substantially lower. The pay, however, is still very competitive in comparison to firms north of Boston and in New Hampshire.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to know more about the career path to partnership, so as to be better able to strategize one's growth.