Devon Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Devon Energy Reviews

Updated March 30, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Oil and Gas is a volatile industry (in 7 reviews)

• Also, there is the issue of pretty much one option as to workplace location, that being at the Oklahoma City HQ office (in 9 reviews)

1. "Letdown"

Pros

Gorgeous building, great lunch cafe/food, free parking

Cons

Unfortunately there are more cons than pros here. I was a contractor. Before I went to work for Devon, I read the reviews on this forum and since there aren't that many negative reviews was excited to go to work there. All of what is said about how this company treats contractors is true. Any issue I had with anything I was told by management to go to the contracting agency. The department I was in was going to be restructured and I was left in a lurch. I was not trained properly and one of my co-workers was a constant gossip. It seemed that many people in this particular department were also gossipers. If you don't like to gossip, you don't fit in. Whenever I tried to go above and beyond to do my job even though I wasn't being trained properly I was told not to do it. So, when I would back off I was told that I should be doing the thing they told me not to do. Severely, and I mean severely, micromanaged. It is ridiculous how micromanaged it is at Devon. Also, if you aren't in the club you just don't fit in. I felt like I stuck out in the office as much as the building sticks out on our skyline. It was a very odd experience and quite a let down. Managers need to lead, not just give out duties. I should have known, though, because I wasn't even called in to a persona face-to-face interview with the manager of the department where I was working... And the pay for the work was also absolutely hideous.

Advice to Management

Lead and cultivate. You aren't in management to be in meetings all day. When you have people working under you, regardless of if they are a contractor or not, you owe them your full attention as their manager. Otherwise, don't hire contractors. Especially contractors with a highly qualified and skilled background. Interviews should not be over the phone. And you do have a responsibility to help even a lowly contractor with HR issues when the company is so big. Otherwise, again, don't hire contractors.

"Technical Staff"

I worked at Devon Energy full-time

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Alternate Fridays off. Many great co-workers.

Cons

Previous management was far superior to current management. VERY political. Dishonesty is common (even encouraged) throughout management. "Integrity" is demanded from staff, but not practiced by management. "Perception is reality" was a statement made to me by on of the VP's there. Top 100 places to work is a farce.

"Short Sighted management"

Pros

Relaxed work environment
    Friendly people
    Low work load

Cons

No structure to career path
    Poor communication from management

Advice to Management

Lead...

"Poor Leadership and Toxic Work Environment (Zero Rating)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Devon Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good managers and front-line workers that do care and value their work. Sidenote: Most of those people are gone now from the organization becuase they did not "fit into" the organization.

Cons

Lack of leadership, teamwork, alignment (silo management), and relying on the rumor mill. There is too much apathy and fear, failure of leaders to "wlak The Talk", lack of appreciation and trust. A very short sighted organization that does not understand commitment, continuous improvement and having a respect for people.

Advice to Management

Sell the Canadian Division to an organization that has "true" leadership or fired the senior leaders and bring in people that can respect people and have a long-term strategic vision for the organization. Understand what it means to commitment to people, a common management philosophy, continuous improvement and treat people as your most important asset.

5. "Contact Administrator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Devon Energy as a contractor

Pros

A very fast pace area to work.

Cons

Contractors treated like second class citizens.

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Geologist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Geologist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Devon Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent mentoring directly out of University, great place to be trained and start a career. Also a great place to end a career. Good work - life balance.

Cons

Somewhat unstable now, company is more trouble than is commonly known. Very little opportunity for career advancement beyond 7 years experience. Massive demographics issues, 55 yrs+ median age in G&G. Pay + LTI is in bottom quartile.

Advice to Management

There is a desperate need of new blood from technical level to management (management especially). Many of the Baby Boomer Managers simply do not understand how to work with the Millennial Generation and it is a huge reason why the 10-15 experience range is/ and has not been retained.

7. "Very disorganized"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Conklin, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Conklin, AB (Canada)

I worked at Devon Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Flights and camp provided. Team was great worked together great. Management was a different story. Lots of power tripping and little guidance.

Cons

Disorganized management. Job duties not clearly defined. Lack of communications.

Advice to Management

Establish a change of command that allows the team to perform as a team.

"Great on paper... tough on your moral"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Devon Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent flex benefits, beautiful building.

Cons

Moral is painful. Reporting to an american side makes it a very difficult place to adjust to. As canadians, we have a different work culture that outperforms counterparts in the US without the use of fear or intimidation to manage people. (my way or the high way type attitude)

"Founder died, heir will retire and CEO has no clue on how to run the company"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Devon Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great compensation package for you to travel and forget your annoying coworkers.

Cons

Lots of nepotism in a classicist driven environment. People DO get fired due to brown nose puppet masters.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to anybody who is willing to do what used to do when you were a leading company and not the sap (pun intended) company you currently are.

Your "leadership" base is smartly fooling the vice presidents and the stock holders to their hearts contempt. Put some good auditing practices in place to avoid so many resources leaks.

"not satisfied"

Former Contractor - Production and Completions Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Production and Completions Engineer in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Devon Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

nothing good to say, just fine

Cons

v unhealthy enviornment, no room to grow for young people. simple not great