Dex One Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Joe Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people, good training, great benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Worked with great people in a true sales environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The company's yellow pages was the best in the market even at its high price (in 24 reviews)

• Phone book is main business and that is almost a extinct (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great benefits, poor organization"

Former Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Marketing in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Dex One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full medical, dental, vision, savings plans. Extensive training before starting.

Cons

Difficult to manage workload due to poor internal organization.

Advice to Management

Streamline graphics and SEO products.

2. "Was a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Corporate Training in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Corporate Training in Denver, CO

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had great benefits and perks. I was in the graphics side of the business and saw major changes over the 12 years I was there.

Cons

Thinning budgets year after year till the bankruptcy. As the market has grown dependent on web based information, the print media was no longer a commodity and Dex wasn't proactive in their business plan.

Sep 27, 2016 – Employee

Thank you for 10+ years of dedicated service. We appreciate you providing your feedback.

"Former Advertising Powerhouse"

Former Employee - Premise Sales in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Premise Sales in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Have to say it was the best dead end job I ever had. Worked with great people in a true sales environment. Loved working for the best in the industry when print was the media of choice.

Cons

If you look at the size of the phone book delivered to your door today you should be able to realize the future of your job. The most talented people slowly left several years ago as the compensation and benefits declined. The company's yellow pages was the best in the market even at its high price. Small business owners are savvy and the terms "diminishing value and dinosaur" were your constant new sales objections. They wouldn't lower the price of the print even with the decreasing ROI so the long term clients were scooped up by online media long before the company would adapt. It was depressing to watch the slow implosion of a once great company.

Advice to Management

Sat in a company wide meeting after a merger where the new CEO said "with declining sales I'm asked why would I buy a yellow page company'? I thought the same thing, a small company gets a loan to buy out a huge company in decline? Many people got very wealthy and the company went bankrupt. How do you give advice to management when nobody wants print advertising which is the primary source of their profit? Thanks for the years and good luck.

Sep 27, 2016 – Employee

Thank you for your time of service and for providing your feedback.

4. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

occasionally they ordered lunch and they used to have great incentive trips for sales

Cons

Great job once upon a time then Quest took over and it went to hell sold several times since

Advice to Management

Quit

Aug 31, 2016 – Employee

Thank you for your service, and for providing your feedback.

5. "Dex One fka RH Donnelley"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Remember when Dex One was RHD, it really was like a great, big family.
    Open and flat structure where everyone's opinion was valued and management took a genuine interest in every employee and their family. It was hard work rewarded with some hard play. Where loyalty ran both ways...

Cons

After RHD merged with Dex Qwest the entire atmosphere and culture changed. It became impersonal and cumbersome. Political factions emerged to the detriment of many talented, capable people who just wanted to make the company succeed. And then after the Supermedia merger it was even worse and some of the best caring C suite executives were pushed out.

Advice to Management

Mergers and acquisitions are not always the right path to growth. Organic growth can be achieved with the right tactics & strategy. A profitable, thriving smaller company is always better than a larger, collapsing, clumsy, entity....

Apr 12, 2016 – Employee

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review.

"Dying company"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Bellevue, WA

Pros

401k, Vacation/Time Off, great culture, flexibility if situations arise

Cons

Micromanagers, unionized, promotions based on tenure not merit

Advice to Management

Gain more feedback from your employees and act on the actual recommendations

Mar 3, 2016 – Employee

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback.

7. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Local Sales Coordinator in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Local Sales Coordinator in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company had many great colleagues to work with and initially had many perks that was pretty cool. At times, there was a relaxed setting that was enjoyable and created a pleasant working experience.

Cons

This company relies solely on sales. So meeting the bottom line was of great importance. It was hard to always make your numbers due to whatever unexpected circumstance may come up. Management didn't seem to care about that. I remember they expected overtime hours from everyone in the department, including this one lady that was pregnant.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are people. Express interest in them and their well being and you may find that they will be willing to be more productive due to them having that feeling of being valued.

Feb 8, 2016 – Employee

Hi - Thank you for your 5+ years of service to Dex. We appreciate your feedback.

"Declining Business Stresses Everyone Out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Nice offices.

Cons

Take over by SuperMedia from Dallas.

Dec 10, 2015 – Employee

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

9. "Fair place to work"

Former Employee - Client Solutions Specialist in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Client Solutions Specialist in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Capable and visible KPI's, clear work objectives. Worked with good management and felt a sense of community and true care for employees

Cons

Print media is their bread and butter of revenue and the transition of client portfolios to digital is going to be a tough and long road in an already saturated market.

Oct 27, 2015 – Employee

Hi - Thank you for providing Dex with 3+ years of dedicated service. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback! -Ed

"Looks like things don't change at Dex"

Former Employee - Worked In Marketing Department, Non-sales in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Worked In Marketing Department, Non-sales in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Worked with a lot of good people and enjoyed my job.

Cons

Out of touch executives and managers who didn't listen to workers. Too many jobs outsourced overseas.

Advice to Management

I haven't worked at Dex since end of 2011 but comments show things haven't changed. Top execs only concerned about their bloated bonuses and salaries then and now. Seems to me when you are making more than $200,000 you should be able to afford forgoing a bonus and give more to all the people making under $50,000, who are hard working people and need the $ more.

Why are some of the recent commentors surprised at the execs only thinking of their big undeserved bonuses? For the average worker a bonus is for a job well done. Top execs expect a bonus even if their decisions cause company to lose money. It's been like this at Dex for years.

I wasn't going to post anything but seeing anonymous Ed responding to recent negative posts saying Dex appreciates the feedback and their service irked me. I'd rather see no response than a generic one.

Sep 21, 2015 – Employee

We encourage past and present employees to provide their feedback. As a company, we can only grow and be successful when we know how our employees, both past and present truly feel. Thank you for... More