Dex One Reviews | Glassdoor

Dex One Reviews

Updated September 22, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good people, good training, great benefits (in 22 reviews)

• Good pay, great training and great people that work there (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The company's yellow pages was the best in the market even at its high price (in 24 reviews)

• Phone book is main business and that is almost a extinct (in 6 reviews)

1. "Hello ole' friend"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company with good people. Enjoyed working there.

Cons

With so many changes at the company it is hard to keep up with who is doing what job function.

Advice to Management

Need to be fast to keep up with technology.

Dec 2, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We greatly appreciate the service that you provided to Dex for over 5 years. Thank you so much for posting your review! -Ed

"A dead industry..."

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None. At least, not anymore. There was a time when this was a great industry, and Dex was a solid job. Those days are long gone. Starting back when it was US WEST Direct, I put in 21 years with the company - spent many birthdays, holidays and family events on the road, sacrificing a lot for the company, including two stints of strike duty that consisted of 12 hour days, for weeks on end....only to get laid off one year shy of being eligible for retirement. Yup, thats how they roll. Avoid this place at all cost - there are far better opportunities out there than this den of thieves.

Cons

They missed the boat, back in '99, when GOOGLE and YAHOO! were desperate to partner with us....

Advice to Management

Let this industry die - your hubris was your undoing. Put it to bed.

Dec 16, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We greatly thank you for your 21 + years with the company and wish you nothing but great success in future endeavors. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. -Ed

3. "Used to be a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cary, NC

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Initially, working here was great. The company was stable, very profitable and just a great place to work. The employees were happy and things were great!

Cons

As businesses started moving from print to online ad marketing, the business slowly tanked. Layoffs started, then came outsourcing. The stability and profitability of the company took a major hit. Company morale then suffered and once that occurs, the atmosphere is just toxic.

Advice to Management

Keep the talent in the states and stop the outsourcing.

Nov 14, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We greatly appreciate the service that you provided while working here at Dex Media. Thank you for taking the time to post your pros and cons. -Ed

5. "large company with little direction, poor communication"

I have been working at Dex One full-time

Pros

Good benefits, decent compensation, large

Cons

Communication, integrity, honesty, large, real career opportunities

Oct 6, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We feel like we definitely offer great benefits and salary compensation. We also strive to keep an open line of communication with all employees and integrity is of the utmost importance. Thank ... More

6. "Always Changing"

Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Dex One full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

awesome tuition assistance. As with any job, working here is what you make it. If you are willing to relocate, the possibilities seem endless.

Cons

With so many offices, it seems impossible to "move up" and remain the same city or even the same department. Non sales employees are treated 'ok'. Not involved in the community and don't seem to be "in touch" with our organization goals at a department level.

Advice to Management

Step out of 1980 and get with the times. For a forward thinking company, the senior leadership team is stuck in traditional styles of management. So Sad. Take a class on culture and learn the value it contributes to the company and ultimately our stakeholders.

Sep 23, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you for your 8 long years of commitment to the company! We offer opportunities for advancement routinely and encourage all employees to pursue growth within the organization. Your advice to ... More

7. "digital marketing consultant"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant (Hunter) in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant (Hunter) in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, independent work environment and great pay.

Cons

Company needs to do a better job of branding its name.

Sep 2, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your time working with Dex Media. Thank you greatly for taking the opportunity to post your feedback. -Ed

8. "Great people"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Dex One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, good hours, potential for good commissions

Cons

Phone book is main business and that is almost a extinct.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, they know what is REALLY going on

Jul 21, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Thank you very much for the feedback and the time you devoted to us as a valued employee! Ed

"“Worst experience of my career!!!”"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dex One full-time

Pros

Meeting nice and interesting co-workers.

Cons

Don't know what people are talking about when they say the pay is good; salary is just on par with any other outside sales job, but 10% commission for a new client and 3% for retaining current ones seemed very low compared to other sales jobs.

Having to go through their 2 month training program; 1 month of it is them trying to get for you to sell or do the work their current sales people don't want to do in order to pay for the other 1 month of training.

Their existing customer retention is 50%, something is obviously wrong when 1 out of 2 current customers don't sign back with them. The way there commissions are paid you can tell once you sign a client up they are forgotten about, it's all about getting new clients.

The atmosphere in the Irving office is horrible, it's depressing and their office looks like they haven't been updated since the 80's.

You have people in their 50's that have only sold yellow pages in their life trying to sell new social media products to businesses. Oh and don't forget to throw in some yellow page ads in there so your cash cow and only real revenue maker doesn't go belly up on you.

Trying to sell their bundles with services that any business owner can do on their own. The only REAL benefit business owners are buying is not having to do it themselves.

Advice to Management

There's sooo many things wrong with this place, good luck!

Sep 2, 2014 – Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We apologize for the delayed response to your review. The concerns that you've outlined regarding your employment greatly concern us. Be assured that the information provided will be reviewed as ... More

"Great company to work for where hard work pays off in promotions and advancement opportunities."

Current Employee - Sales Center Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Center Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Dex One full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great online products to help small to medium size businesses grow their customer base. Premier Google Adwords partner. Lots of room for advancement and rewarded with good sales commissions, incentives, trip for Top sales and many more. You will be rewarded and recognized for all your hard work.

Cons

Great online products just need to spend more time learning them to fully understand how they work. However good continuous training is provided to help everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on coaching, training and leading your sales teams.

"Was a great place to work in the past, is a good place to work now!"

Current Employee - Major Account Representative
    Current Employee - Major Account Representative

I have been working at Dex One full-time

Pros

Offers a great opportunity to make a good living if you are willing to put in the time. Good benefits and contests. Customers still need our assistance to grow their companies. Lots of good stories to tell!
    Lots of people who care still work here. Can be challenging to find solutions for businesses but that's what keeps your juices flowing.

Cons

The merging of the two companies has been confusing. If you are looking for a company to grow and move to higher positions, this is not the company as of this moment!

Advice to Management

Make the company one.
    Get this merge period over with. No need for offices. Ones who can should work out of their homes.