Dexcom Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dexcom President and CEO Kevin Sayer
Kevin Sayer

Pros
  • The Company is growing at a fast rate and this opens up many opportunities for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• This company has a great product and is growing fast (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There were some growing pains but that has greatly improved in the last year (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless at times (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom (Less than a year)

Pros

so far, great pay, friendly environment.

Cons

I've only been here few months, no cons so far.

Advice to Management

NA

"Great Job"

Current Employee - Magician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Magician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engaged management.
    A priority and willingness to make Dexcom run better internally.
    I think priorities are clear from the top down, but you just have to be ready to pivot because of outside factors. I think everyone in the company is capable of making this pivot.
    Dexcom hires very intelligent people, no matter where they come from, that will help you improve your skillset.
    Dexcom grew rapidly and they were able to scale effectively.

Cons

People who write reviews like the one below regarding H1B status. There is no place for that in a workplace, I would recommend to that person to read "The world is flat".

Advice to Management

Put huge posters on all of the walls of the customers who say Dexcom saved their life.

May 18, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your Dexcom experiences here. And thanks also for being one of the many Dexcom Magicians who is ready to turn on a dime to make things happen! We are lucky to have you.

"Good place to work in general"

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Camaraderie, team mentality, it's good if you are looking for a stable place to do a good job and have solid income. You can't have the "it's not my job" mentality to be successful at Dexcom.

Cons

As everyone says, Parking is horrible. HR is a bureaucratic nightmare at times.

May 3, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your feedback on life at Dexcom, especially since you've been here for over 3 years. I was sorry to hear that you feel HR is a a "bureaucratic nightmare", but if you have ideas ... More

"Pay Is Okay, Draining Hours, Horrible Scheduling"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dexcom provides fair pay for the position, and for the most part management is pretty nice. Plenty of overtime opportunities available for people who enjoy working.

It's a beautiful office, and a great location.

The other employees are very nice.

Cons

The schedule is VERY draining. Most new hires will work 5 days a week, with Saturday mandatory. You will likely get 1 week day off, either Wednesday, or Thursday, along with your Sunday.

Bonuses are extremely rare, unless you're the #1 performer in your department, you can forget any bonus.

Many of the managers have minimal experience and either none, or very little college completed. There is almost no room to grow upwards, unless you start out as a manager.

PTO and Sick is very minimal - you gain 4 hours of PTO per pay period, 8 hours per month. You have 5 sick days to use for the WHOLE year. This is pathetic compared to other corporate offices.

Advice to Management

To reduce turnover rates, give employees consecutive days off, or greatly consider four 10 hour shifts, with at least 2 consecutive days off. From speaking with other employees, all we really want is a proper weekend, and some time to recover from angry Medicare patients, and talking with frustrated patients all day long; and many of us would love to spend time with our family too. From personal experience, I felt the most productive at a previous employer when I was working four 10 hour shifts, and had 3 consecutive days off. I was able to recover and never disliked going to work. I consistently feel drained and never enjoy going to work anymore at Dexcom.

Regarding the scheduling, be more flexible as well. Many of us are not from California, and with these miserable schedules, we never have time to go home and see family. For me to take a 4 day weekend, It takes me 2 months to save up 2 days of PTO, align that with my normal days off, and then hope that I can get all days approved, as only 2 people can have PTO at a time, according to your scheduler.

5. "Great job with a future for growth!"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is exciting and the work environment is friendly. There are some very talented people who work here and I am lucky to be here. Very rewarding engineering work!!! I am proud to be at Dexcom

Cons

The traffic is not so easy in the AM. Parking can be a drag.

6. "You will learn how good you can be"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace and extremely challenging (I see this as a pro). Lots of room to grow and move up if you are smart, energetic, and ambitious.

Cons

The volume of projects and moving parts can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Ruthlessly prioritize projects and focus resources on the critical ones. There is a tendency for teams to get distracted by the project/issue of the week.

May 3, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your time in leaving this review and I really appreciate hearing from the Manufacturing team on Glassdoor! It sounds like you are enjoying the pace and ability to grow in your function ... More

"Current minion"

Current Employee - Complaint Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Complaint Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ergonomics group is awesome.
    Kitchens are functional.
    On-site (an honor based snack bar) is a nice addition. Forget breakfast/lunch? Ave C (and the delivery guy, Craig) is great!!!

Cons

Two-faced supervisors and managers.
    DexCom does it their way regardless of the FDA CFR.
    Pay is waaaay below industry standard. No wonder Dexcom has such a high turn over rate.
    Dexcom has recently turned away from American workers and started hiring (at an exponential rate) tons of H1B Indians. Why?? They can pay lower salaries for substandard work.
    Simply waiting for the next FDA audit to see how many violations we shall receive in a FDA483

Advice to Management

Pay your people at least the industry standard.
    Hire Americans.
    Stop being cheap!!! Your people work hard for you; pay them for their hard work.
    Get rid of non-productive idiots.
    Stop listening to crybaby, drama queens/kings.

Jun 12, 2017 – Director Talent Acquisition

We have grown quickly, and it may be hard to see all the efforts being made throughout Dexcom, and the same growth that has created great opportunities for our employees sometimes also creates ... More

"Executive"

Current Employee - Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Products, Fast and Exciting Growth, Company getting better every year, Culture improving

Cons

The quick tremendous growth brings its own set of challenge. This is pressure packed environment but expected considering the industry and consumer expectations

"RSS"

Former Employee - RSS in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - RSS in San Diego, CA

I worked at Dexcom full-time

Pros

Great product that saves lives. Coworkers are amazing and the only thing that keeps most employees around. Good stepping stone in career.

Cons

Can be pretty micromanaged. Your experience at the company can heavily depend on your supervisor. Luckily mine was amazing. The goals are nearly impossible to reach. If not one person is meeting goal and the company has to continuously give you an extra 20% to bring you closer to the goal every month and your are STILL not meeting your goal doesn't that say something? There needs to be an adjustment. Many people have second jobs because the pay is not good. This is a medical device company. Sales reps are selling anywhere between 2,000-35,000 worth of product each day...yet the compensation and commission wouldn't reflect this.

Advice to Management

Make realist goals

10. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Network and Applications Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Network and Applications Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dexcom (Less than a year)

Pros

Best call center environment I've been in! Important work with a lot of excellent people in a company that wants you to succeed and not burn you out. Pay and benefits are, in my opinion, excellent for the area, and the Technical Support department has a lot of schedule types available.

Cons

No cons at this time!

Advice to Management

Given the Tech Support department is 24/7, it would be helpful to have more flexibility in terms of the fixed company holidays (which are set up for a standard 9 to 5, Monday through Friday employee).