Dexis Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Dexis Consulting Group CEO Mihir Desai
Mihir Desai

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company facing some growing pains and processes can sometimes be rocky" (in 7 reviews)

• "Dexis prioritizes/treats HQ staff much more than project staff" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and try new things, both within my job and in special projects. Really like the new members of senior leadership. Great amount of respect for all colleagues and the expertise they bring to the table. Really like the quarterly State of the Union meetings - particularly the new format where we get to hear from more of senior leadership in addition to the CEO.

Cons

None really. I really enjoy my work and colleagues.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing plans for how we will navigate in these turbulent times.

"The Founder and CEO is phenomenal"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mihir Desai is a phenomenal leader, a person of high integrity, genuine, modest and humble. He created a state of the art company where transparency, honesty and innovation are welcome. It’s a privilege and honor to work for his organization that promotes high moral standards and values.

Cons

don't have much to say

"Big egos, not much integrity"

I worked at Dexis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Many eager international development professionals work at Dexis and it has a youthful feel in a lot of ways. Technical directors are very knowledgeable and most projects have a positive rapport with clients. Departments are usually eager to collaborate and work together for different goals.

Cons

Many mid-level managers are unqualified to be managers and young, junior staff under them are left to figure things out on their own. I saw this result in crippling workloads for young staff and their managers watched idly. It seems like people are promoted/hired not because of competency but because they've been in the industry for the right number of years--even if they are mediocre. Some newly-hired senior-level staff caused issues that were clearly due to a basic inability to get along with others--something that could've been easily identified with proper vetting.

Directors and senior-staff like to bite off way more than they can chew and everyone suffers for it. Capacities are overstretched and the people making these decisions aren't the ones doing the grunt work.

Advice to Management

Don't promote people to manager positions when they have no managerial experience and expect your managers to have some integrity. Properly vet ALL hires, even if they're C-level. If staff complain about a specific person, listen, don't tell them they're wrong. Know staff's capacity.

"Great Growth Opportunities, Investment in People"

Current Employee - Senior Project Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Relatively flat hierarchy, in that entry-level Associates can provide feedback to Directors and those in the C-suite and genuinely be listened to and have their concerns taken into consideration.
     - Dexis tries to retain its small business culture by having lots of social events to bring employees together - bagels, happy hours, summer parties, holiday parties, and randomly pairing employees together each month to go get coffee and get to know each other. Especially since some people are at the HQ office and the rest are divided between project and client offices, it's great that they try to maintain a community among staff who wouldn't necessarily interact in their day to day work.
    - Coming in at an entry-level, I've experience excellent professional growth and I feel that my supervisor recognizes hard work and rewards it. The starting salaries for Associates are very competitive, if not higher than those at similar firms.
    - Each employee receives $1,500 a year in professional development funds, rolling over to a max of $3,000. It's a great way to attend conferences or trainings that are relevant to your role (or where you want your role to be).
     - I have great work life balance, but I think this is because I'm on a team that promotes it very highly. I don't think this is standard across all teams/divisions.

Cons

- Dexis' strength is in international development and working with USAID and Department of State. With uncertainties around USAID funding in the future, given the current administration, Dexis is looking to diversify into other government areas - such as the DOD (which is the smart thing to do). However, as an international development professional, I personally find it hard to support the transition towards military assistance work. The two don't reconcile for me and while I understand the need for pursuing different opportunities, I can't find myself supporting it. Dexis will still maintain its USAID portfolio, but for me it's related to the overall mission of the firm.

Advice to Management

- Continue the current trend of transparency - we all appreciate being involved in and consulted around the design and roll-out of new processes. Project Management teams keep Dexis moving so it's important to consult the people who are going to work with these new systems before releasing.
     - Make sure to clearly communicate goals and tie work into Dexis' mission. Most people join Dexis to work at an international development firm, not a DOD contractor, so when winning contracts and hiring new staff, you're still going to have to reconcile new work with Dexis' mission for the current staff (majority international development professionals) in order to keep them feeling like they are working for a company making a positive impact on the world.

"Associate Level"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the investment the company makes in their people, showing appreciation with events, bagels, coffee, etc. It's nice to feel appreciated.

Cons

They aren't willing to openly negotiate salary well. They have to base it on a previous posted salary, which in my case, meant that I'm not being compensated for key skills and education that were the deciding factor in my getting my position, and it appears there's very little the company is willing to do about it. Which is frustrating, you can literally leave Dexis and go work somewhere else doing something completely unrelated to this work, get paid more for a year, come back to your old job and you'd get paid a better salary. Seems kind of ridiculous.

Project staff aren't currently eligible for bonuses (though that's supposed to be changing).

"Corrupt CFO"

Current Employee - FAC
    Current Employee - FAC

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dexis was much better off before Fernando joined.

Cons

CFO is very bullish, arrogant and stupid. He has no understanding of accounting and contracts, brought 3 of his people who are "Yes, Sir" type. All of them are from the non-profit world, and they're incompetent in their fields.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Fernando.

Dexis Consulting Group Response

Nov 6, 2017 – CEO

Dexis takes ethics allegations very seriously. I urge you to share any evidence to support your statements with VPHR or with me directly. Thanks, Mihir Desai, CEO

"Program Manager"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

- They are big into socializing, whether it be over bagels, wine, or outings - Christmas party was so much fun!
    - Healthcare plan is AMAZING
    - They reimburse you 50% for a gym reimbursement
    - So much free food

Cons

- You don't get sick days...they are just combined with PTO days and you don't get that many off compared to other companies
    - Dexis prioritizes/treats HQ staff much more than project staff. It's easy to see that they get the best treatment
    - The CEO thinks very highly of himself

"What more could you ask for?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free HMO insurance, professional development, lots of fun social events, generous PTO , telework options, caring and compassionate staff, fun and collaborative work environment.

Cons

Slow to upgrade systems to keep the pace with Dexis' fast-paced growth.

Advice to Management

More focused recruitment for corporate positions, to make sure we find the right people with the skills needed for the job in which they are applying. We don't necessarily need more people -- just the right people.

"Reality vs Fantasy"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our culture and the rapid growth of the company provide everyone with tremendous opportunities for career growth and professional development. Everyone in management is accessible, including the CEO.

Cons

Not the place for people who need predictability. We are constantly working hard to create new systems, policies and procedures as we grow. We innovate and push the boundaries.

Advice to Management

I've worked at Dexis for over two years and in that time we’ve grown more than 3X. I’m a regular line-staff employee. I have no perks, no corner office, no fancy title. I avoided writing a review here on Glassdoor because it's not something I would normally do.

But after watching a few people trash this company with one star reviews, I felt I had to step up. From what I’ve seen and experienced over the course of my two years here the Dexis described in the one star reviews is completely unrecognizable from the company I admire.

The one star reviews of Dexis seem to say a lot more about the people writing them than they do about the company. Namely, that the reviewer just doesn’t have much work experience. They're understandably frustrated, yet they have no reference against which to judge the company. Instead they have an idealized image of what a perfect company should be.

The reality at Dexis is quite different from a hypothetical ideal. Our reality is one of rapid growth. And if you have professional experience at companies that are growing this fast, then you’ll know that there's no such thing as a smooth, effortless or problem free operation at this rate of growth. It just doesn't happen that way. Companies follow some of the same laws of growth as individuals – that is, growth comes with discomfort and hard work.

In other words, systems, processes, and company culture are chaotic and stressed during times of rapid growth. Are we guilty of being that kind of company - sometimes chaotic and stressed? Yes, we are. Nevertheless, through all the frustrations and challenges of rapid growth one thing has held true at Dexis: as an employee I have been treated fairly and compensated well. I've been recognized for my contribution and often generously rewarded with bonuses. I’ve had access to senior management so I can communicate any frustrations. In short, we work hard and we suffer lots of challenges, but we treat our people fairly and with respect.

Again, is this a smooth operation and frustration-free workplace? Absolutely not. It can’t be, because we’re constantly stretched to new heights, beyond our current comfort zone. That's a very good thing from my point of view because I've watched a lot of my coworkers get promoted. Growing companies offer opportunity for professional growth. Think about it this way, would you rather be at a company that's growing or at a company with stagnant or declining revenue? If you thrive on stability, you should look for a mature company with a flat revenue line.

If you want to learn and grow then chances are you care about where you work and you care about doing great work. You want to work at a company where you’ll be valued, reasonably compensated and where you have the opportunity to grow. You probably also realize that growth doesn’t come easy. You realize that you have to push yourself to grow. You realize that growth isn’t comfortable. But you’re willing to do the hard work to reach your goals.

If that describes you, then Dexis is a great place to work. If you’re looking for a place where you can coast along, get your instructions neatly delivered in a procedure manual, and cash your paycheck, then you should apply somewhere else, because that’s just not who we are at Dexis.

If you're new to the workforce and you expect an ideal workplace, then you'll probably be unhappy here. Not because Dexis will treat you poorly. On the contrary, we offer opportunity, great compensation and benefits and a great company culture. Rather, you'll be unhappy anywhere you work because no company will meet your expectation. There is no ideal company - that's a fantasy.

If you understand this basic appeal, then please join us. If you want to grow professionally, if you want to be pushed beyond your current skills and beyond your current comfort zone, then Dexis is a great place for you. I hope you'll take on the challenge and join us.

"Working in the Real World"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our leadership is doing everything they can to stay abreast of upcoming changes to foreign policy and assistance funding with the new Administration, which is much more than I can say for any other company I've worked for. With our diversified funding base among numerous government agencies (USAID, DOS, DOD), I feel confident that we can adapt to continue doing good and doing well come what may.

Cons

PTO could use some further improvement (combined sick and leave time encourage sick staff to continue to work) although we do have telework options (with supervisor approval) and there is increased PTO for long-tenure employees.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being responsive to staff concerns and pro-actively working to allay staff fears as a clearer picture of the next four years comes into focus.