Dexis Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Dexis Consulting Group CEO Mihir Desai
Mihir Desai

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I have great work life balance, but I think this is because I'm on a team that promotes it very highly" (in 5 reviews)

• "1,500 a year in professional development funds, rolling over to a max of" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Perhaps like other consulting firms, project staff are employed for the duration of that project with no guarantees beyond it" (in 5 reviews)

• "Roles and responsibilities of many staff members unclear and workload distributions are very uneven, especially between project staff and HQ staff" (in 3 reviews)

"The Founder and CEO is phenomenal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mihir Desai is a phenomenal leader, a person of high integrity, genuine, modest and humble. He created a state of the art company where transparency, honesty and innovation are welcome. It’s a privilege and honor to work for his organization that promotes high moral standards and values.

Cons

don't have much to say

2. "OK but not great"

I worked at Dexis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Mostly functional teams

Cons

Immature managers who don't know what they're doing
    If you're on a contract, you're just a body

Advice to Management

Get more mature managers who know how to manage.

"Great company that looks out for its staff"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Does quality work
    Provides a fun, creative environment with activities like Top Chef and seasonal staff parties
    Regularly seeks staff feedback and makes an effort to improve systems, like for performance reviews and knowledge management
    Supports staff learning with annual funds that individuals can decide (with approval) how to use

"Intern"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group part-time

Pros

flexible work life balance

Cons

would be better with more formal training

5. "Great experience so far"

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dexis provides opportunity to do solid technical work at every level - even entry level (not like other places I have worked). Work/life balance is actively encouraged and supported. And benefits are great.

Cons

This is a tough time to be in the development world - funding is not predictable and flat lining or shrinking at Dexis' core clients - USAID and State Department. So far Dexis seems to be weathering this better than a lot of other companies and nonprofits in the development sector.

Advice to Management

Keep exploring additional funding opportunities beyond USAID and State.

"Decent company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Dexis works hard, plays harder
    * Good place to begin your career
    * Exposure to different aspects of international developement

Cons

* Work/life balance could be better
    * Everyone is a salaried employee, so you do a ton of hours of extra work without compensation
    * Below average salary for mid-level employees
    * Standards, practices, and policies are more word-of-mouth

Advice to Management

Be consistent with policies and standards

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance and Cultural Diversity.

Cons

No employment opportunity after end of contract.

"I wouldn't"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was convenient to the metro station and some nice places to eat. Paid well.

Cons

management was uneven and arbitrary. no clearly defined policies or practices. Support contractors were hired or not hired due to no good reasons that I could make out. hard to tell who did what job there.

Advice to Management

train your managers in proper staffing and HR practices. monitor telework better. have qualified people write your policies. and realize that longevity in the company does not correlate to competence.

"Big egos, not much integrity"

I worked at Dexis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Many eager international development professionals work at Dexis and it has a youthful feel in a lot of ways. Technical directors are very knowledgeable and most projects have a positive rapport with clients. Departments are usually eager to collaborate and work together for different goals.

Cons

Many mid-level managers are unqualified to be managers and young, junior staff under them are left to figure things out on their own. I saw this result in crippling workloads for young staff and their managers watched idly. It seems like people are promoted/hired not because of competency but because they've been in the industry for the right number of years--even if they are mediocre. Some newly-hired senior-level staff caused issues that were clearly due to a basic inability to get along with others--something that could've been easily identified with proper vetting.

Directors and senior-staff like to bite off way more than they can chew and everyone suffers for it. Capacities are overstretched and the people making these decisions aren't the ones doing the grunt work.

Advice to Management

Don't promote people to manager positions when they have no managerial experience and expect your managers to have some integrity. Properly vet ALL hires, even if they're C-level. If staff complain about a specific person, listen, don't tell them they're wrong. Know staff's capacity.

"Great Growth Opportunities, Investment in People"

Current Employee - Senior Project Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dexis Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Relatively flat hierarchy, in that entry-level Associates can provide feedback to Directors and those in the C-suite and genuinely be listened to and have their concerns taken into consideration.
     - Dexis tries to retain its small business culture by having lots of social events to bring employees together - bagels, happy hours, summer parties, holiday parties, and randomly pairing employees together each month to go get coffee and get to know each other. Especially since some people are at the HQ office and the rest are divided between project and client offices, it's great that they try to maintain a community among staff who wouldn't necessarily interact in their day to day work.
    - Coming in at an entry-level, I've experience excellent professional growth and I feel that my supervisor recognizes hard work and rewards it. The starting salaries for Associates are very competitive, if not higher than those at similar firms.
    - Each employee receives $1,500 a year in professional development funds, rolling over to a max of $3,000. It's a great way to attend conferences or trainings that are relevant to your role (or where you want your role to be).
     - I have great work life balance, but I think this is because I'm on a team that promotes it very highly. I don't think this is standard across all teams/divisions.

Cons

- Dexis' strength is in international development and working with USAID and Department of State. With uncertainties around USAID funding in the future, given the current administration, Dexis is looking to diversify into other government areas - such as the DOD (which is the smart thing to do). However, as an international development professional, I personally find it hard to support the transition towards military assistance work. The two don't reconcile for me and while I understand the need for pursuing different opportunities, I can't find myself supporting it. Dexis will still maintain its USAID portfolio, but for me it's related to the overall mission of the firm.

Advice to Management

- Continue the current trend of transparency - we all appreciate being involved in and consulted around the design and roll-out of new processes. Project Management teams keep Dexis moving so it's important to consult the people who are going to work with these new systems before releasing.
     - Make sure to clearly communicate goals and tie work into Dexis' mission. Most people join Dexis to work at an international development firm, not a DOD contractor, so when winning contracts and hiring new staff, you're still going to have to reconcile new work with Dexis' mission for the current staff (majority international development professionals) in order to keep them feeling like they are working for a company making a positive impact on the world.