DiCentral Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Thuy Mai

"Interview review"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at DiCentral full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn supply chain process management.

Cons

Yet to explore working in the company.

"HOSTILE work environment in HR"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at DiCentral full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really great people to work with at DiCentral and the flexibility I had with my schedule was incomparable.

Cons

My experience as a recruiter at DiCentral was short lived due to the hostile and negative nature of the work environment in HR. I was harassed daily by one of the HR employees and at some points the harassment bordered on assault. This behavior was present from the very beginning of my employment stent and progressively got worse. I reported this behavior several times to my immediate manager as well as my manager's, manager, due to the severity. The aggressor was “talked to” but the behaviors continued. Approximately 8 weeks after the first complaint, I made another, only this time I asked for a definite resolution of either moving me away from this hostile individual or the ability to work remotely and be in office when needed. I was denied both means of resolution and was told that she had been “talked to” again, therefore; I had no choice but to resign. In addition to the hostile, degrading, environment I worked in, in HR, there was also a constant lack of communication and team effort, and consequently, I fell short in my ability to do my job professionally and effectively. I also found myself being the target of sabotage regularly.

A few key points of note…
    -Breastfeeding (pumping) mothers were constantly berated in HR
    -Very poor leadership and direction by HR management
    -Very little “lead by example” by HR management
    * HR manager arrives to work every day between 9:30 – 10 and takes 1.5-2 hour lunches daily (meanwhile I would have a mountain of hiring concerns going unanswered)
    -I was verbally berated, called various names, and talked about with several employees regularly by the aggressor
    -Absolutely no sense of urgency
    -Complete lack of professionalism by HR staff
    -I was asked on multiple occasions to discriminate when hiring (see email excerpts below)
    - “I personally think that someone older than 50 is going to be our better candidate”
    - “In my opinion the best candidate is someone who took early retirement and is now sorry they did so – and who might be having a problem finding a job given age discrimination”
    - “I think a younger audience is going to get easily bored with this role and I think a young person will be intimidated to push to get past the secretary”

-Completely unapproachable HR staff (due to the hostile reaction in which it inflicts)
    -Low pay for the work

Even after the verbal and mental abuse, the aggressor only got a slap on the hand, never written up, or better yet, fired for her aggression.
    **Charges will be filed with the EEOC**

Advice to Management

-Lay a foundation and set boundaries.
    -Start holding those that do wrong accountable for their actions instead of sucking your thumb in the corner, hoping it will go away.
    -Lead by example

DiCentral Response

Feb 21, 2017 – HR Manager

We are disappointed to hear about your experiences as we are committed to creating a comfortable, trusting and professional work environment for all employees. Extensive interviews and discussions ... More

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at DiCentral (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for gaining experience. There are opportunities for travel and networking as well. They are pretty laid back and flexible about time off and don't always require that you are in the office as long as your performance is up to their standard. Management is mostly very positive and encouraging.

Cons

Low salary, and high commission targets that are hard to hit on a monthly basis. Very little guidance, and almost no method for training. All of these factors left me very stressed a lot of the time. Definitely sink or swim. As mentioned in the "pros" category, management is often very positive and encouraging, but unfortunately they also tend to be misleading at times. They will tell you what you want to hear or need to hear to be able to continue performing but often fall short when it comes to meeting your needs as an individual. There also seems to be an imbalance with regard to the handling of employees who are not performing. Some will be fired or demoted, while others will be moved to positions with more power that they may not be qualified for. Getting your hands on information and getting answers to questions is next to impossible. There is no method for collaboration within teams (sales is dispersed across North America), much less between different departments.

Advice to Management

I wont act like I know how to fix all of these issues I have presented, as I am not inside the head of the executives who are making the decisions. What I will say is that you need to make information more accessible for new hires and bridge the gab between engineering, implementation, support and sales. The wiki/intranet is ineffective to say the least.

"Vice President of Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at DiCentral full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small to mid-sized company with room to grow. Software platform has a lot of legs left to take on bigger projects and expand to a more global footprint. Probably a bit more willing to try new things here than the attitude at bigger companies.

Cons

Some of the software tools are made in-house like CRM, so it has its moments.

"manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at DiCentral full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are some really solid people who work here.
    in most departments you can work here and have a life.

Cons

Incompetence and failure tolerated for YEARS. especially in the leadership and sales.

Advice to Management

nut up and get rid of the losers in the company. they are taking the ship down with their inability

"It is what it is"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at DiCentral full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good job security. It takes a lot to get fired and they'll even take you back if you've quit.
    - Sales team gets to travel a lot in attempts to gain leads. This is good if you like traveling.
    - The people you befriend while there who are also underwhelmed with DiCentral are generally fun to talk to.
    - Becoming one with nature as the building was crawling with bugs and flooded anytime it rained.

Cons

- 0 Accountability across the board
    - Undervalues anyone not in the engineering department or an executive
    - Quarterly reviews (when they happened) result in the occasional pat on the back which you can then try and use to pay your land lord with
    - The products are constantly being updated and fixed outside of the actual UI which may look modern if you're using Windows 3.0
    - Executive team hardly concerned with moving forward and evolving with the times and would rather continue to coast by

Advice to Management

Value your talent and assess where your real problems are. People who know there worth will get up and leave. People who don't will keep the wheels spinning but in what direction?

"Not a Suggested Long Term Employment Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at DiCentral full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sometimes a fun environment.

Cons

No one knows the big picture and everyone feels that they may loose their job.
    No training.
    No direction.
    Favoritism with upper management and their spouses that work for them.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have a yearly review by their direct employees.
    Management needs to train their employees.
    Management needs to value their employees.

"No accountability or leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and familiar friendliness from most of those who work there. It's nearly impossible to get fired short of not showing up.

Cons

Pay is dismal to the point that is a commonly held belief and known running joke of those who work thre. Employee turnover is relatively high with few of my coworkers from the same department still there after 4 years. Only a handful of people are entrenched enough they plan to stay or retire from here. Company is lacking in leadership and every level and refuses to follow common best practices like: tracking costs (of projects, support, etc), holding people accountable for deadlines (projects and support tasks regularly run at two or three times their projected lead times), conducting quarterly reviews of employee performance, offering a document progression plan or pay review process (ask for it in the interview and watch the reaction), keep an accurate and up-to-date organizational chart (ask for this too... fun).

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing development work just because it's cheaper. Better coding talent exists in America and you just have to pay for it, but you don't care to. The poor quality and lack of understanding of outsourced work disappoints western clients on a consistent basis. They see what you are trying to do and feel short changed, but are too polite to say it. The outsourced work just feels like poor imitations of real software solutions from better companies.
    Listen to employee opinions if they want to make things better or more efficient. You only need to do two things really:
    1. Hold people accountable and be willing to let people go. Failure to meet a deadline or do your job is something serious enough that it should outweigh someone's expertise or the time they have been there. If someone oversells a project that is quite literally impossible to do, they need to be held accountable. You have senior sales people who start fires and walk away and are never held accountable. You have senior engineers that simply don't meet deadlines because they don't care or are overworked and projects fall through. Neither the engineer (for not caring) or their boss (for not seeing the problem) are ever held accountable. You don't even track costs because you don't want to hold project managers or sales people accountable by showing how poorly most major projects or sales go.
    2. don't let engineers be leaders. You don't need engineers in leadership positions. They have technical knowledge, but little in the soft skills that make great teams and organizations. They can't communicate, share a vision, motivate, coordinate, etc. It shows from the very very top that this is the problem and it is echoed at almost every level.

With a culture shift around accountability and leadership you wouldn't need to rely on you lowest products and solutions for a profit center. You could actually scale up. You keep trying to engineer your way out of your situation, but it's really a people problem, not a business or product problem.

"Multiple"

Current Employee - Mapping Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mapping Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at DiCentral full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for most departments, room for advancement from entry level positions. Good entry level positions for someone wanting to learn EDI.

Cons

Raises are rare. Many managers are terrible managers. Too much inter-office politics required to advance. Hard work is not rewarded.

Advice to Management

Take management training classes. Happy employees perform far better than scared/fearful employees. And nobody does their best work when they are constantly afraid for their jobs. This company could be far better if the middle management was better trained and understood how to keep employees happy, even in times where raises are scarce.

"Communications"

Current Employee - Communications in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Communications in Houston, TX

I have been working at DiCentral (More than a year)

Pros

Their are no reasons to work at this place.

Cons

The pay is horrible compared to the work given on a daily basis.
    Most staff is under-paid and over-worked.

Advice to Management

Learn your team's responsibilities and request raises for employees.