Diageo Reviews | Glassdoor

Diageo CEO Ivan Menezes
Ivan Menezes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • May present an improper work-life-balance (in 42 reviews)

• Decision making is usually slow and less efficient in the matrix organization (in 39 reviews)

1. "Average Corporate"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Diageo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great physical work environment and big structure. Lots of resources

Cons

Most team members are incapable of modern-day computer skills and need to be educated or upgraded. The environment is so bureaucratic that no project ever gets done, no matter how small or specific.

Advice to Management

Management needs more power within their realm of departmental structure.

Aug 12, 2017 – Social Media Team

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We're pleased you enjoyed the work environment and the resources. At Diageo we want to see our people learn and grow. It's a key element of... More

2. "Great company to gain experience"

I worked at Diageo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

multinational nature of the company, travel, great perks, opportunity for growth

Cons

poor work-life balance, ever changing business strategy

Advice to Management

try to stick to the values that you preach. its a fantastic company with great people and great brands

Jul 7, 2017 – Social Media Team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback for us. It's great to hear you enjoyed the multinational nature of the company. We seek to maintain a diverse workforce in which the different... More

3. "Trade Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Diageo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and lots of autonomy within most roles. The brands are industry leading and well known to all retailers and consumers.

Cons

The workload grows each year as the company tries to do more with less and less and less. This is par for the course for a publicly held company I suppose but it is not acknowledged, certainly not to be questioned.

Advice to Management

Spend time in 'day of the life' of employees to better understand what they do.

Jun 22, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Thanks for your positive feedback on our brands. We are the present day custodians of some of the most iconic brands in the world, with a responsibility to ensure they... More

4. "Quality Technician Review"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Diageo as a contractor

Pros

Safety is taken very seriously. The work environment is relaxed and moves at a comfortable pace.

Cons

Egotistical management and a bit too relaxed at times. Company culture does not feel authentic.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Quality
    Current Employee - Quality

I have been working at Diageo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and employee benefits. Lots of vacation time allowed. Excellent brand portfolio. Diverse and collaborative thinking encouraged. Fair talent reviews.

Cons

Work life balance isn't always great, especially if you're working on the supply side rather than corporate. To move up you usually have to move geographical location.

"A good place to get trained and then leave."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Norwalk, CT

Pros

Diageo is a flexible working environment. The senior management is approachable. Great place to learn functional skills. The employee resource groups provide great foundations for diverse employees.

Cons

They want to move as many jobs overseas as possible. Restructures happen every six months, a lot of knowledge is lost during this process and it makes the job harder to execute. Middle management lacks basic management skills.

Advice to Management

Stop all the constant restructures, it makes the company look like it does not have a strong strategic plan and it ruins the morale of employees.

Apr 18, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re glad to hear that you are enjoying the flexible work, ways of working, development opportunities and our diverse culture. Your feedback on our... More

7. "great company"

I have been working at Diageo part-time

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Lifting can be difficult at times

Apr 18, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at Diageo, we’re pleased to hear you’re enjoying your career with us. We aren’t entirely sure what you mean by you comment on lifting but please... More

8. "Good Place to Start"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Norwalk, CT
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Diageo as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, nice facilities, nice perks, it's a good place to start

Cons

Not a lot of manager-team communication, company is continuously downsizing, the team isn't half as big as it once was

Advice to Management

Get to know employees, give people the opportunity to show their true talent and improve the culture

"Great place to work"

I worked at Diageo full-time

Pros

Been an employee for over 15 years
    Grew in my position
    Pays well with great benefits
    Great products
    Made many great friends for life

Cons

So many re-organization structures people always getting laid off
    Just sold wine business
    Lots of red tape in management
    Out source jobs/departments to India & Budapest

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - who is going to do all this work once people leave the business? Transition is not clear for people who left

"Iconic brands but experiences depends on the people"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Diageo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The brands are amazing and iconic. Huge portfolio to manage, but you can prioritize based on your market needs. Your overall experience depends on the your team and line manager and the relationships you establish. I was able to work with several teams and the last one was really great. International opportunities are widely available, but I hear relocation assistance is not really offered anymore.

Cons

There are constant re-orgs with very little change management. It creates a fear culture during these times which is pretty frequent- approximately every 2 years. Being considered for positions outside of your own department also becomes difficult if you haven't already established a relationship with the hiring managers. It seems that its more important who you know rather than what you know at times. Lastly, budgets are being cut constantly which makes it hard to plan and achieve the very ambitious plans.

Advice to Management

Need more leaders that are focused on leading a team vs. managing up. This applies most to middle management with direct reports.