Dialog Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 6, 2017

1.0
Doug Kearney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • love that the call center is laid back (in 12 reviews)

• Very well staffed with great people that want to do a good job (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for the amount of work they want you to do (in 15 reviews)

• No chat to talk to other agents or upper management (in 11 reviews)

1. "Case study for how to run a company out of business"

I worked at Dialog Direct full-time

Pros

Have some good people but they are constantly overworked and morale is low. IT is being outsourced so all good IT folks have left.

Cons

The company is a slowly sinking ship but no one will admit it. It will make a good case study for someone to write on how the CEO took some profitable businesses and ran them into the ground and out of business. Sales keep going down. Customers keep leaving. IT is being completely outsourced to an offshore company with no skills or communication. I do not know why anyone would join in IT or stay there in IT. People are powerless to make any improvements. At some point, the company will be split up and sold or go out of business. Work-life balance doesn't exist, as more gets outsourced the remaining employees then have more work to do causing them to be working 60 - 80 hours per week.

Advice to Management

I'm afraid it is already too late, the ship is too big to make any corrections now, it is slowly sinking. Being honest to what is going on so people can make informed career decisions. Share real company performance information.

2. "CSR"

I worked at Dialog Direct full-time

Pros

steady work schedule and days off

Cons

HORRIBLE work environment, you will hate waking up in the morning because you know you have to go back.

3. "No regards to employee values"

I worked at Dialog Direct full-time

Pros

Nothing much to say about this company, except there are plenty of talented/skilled people that they should take care of before they wake up and realized that they should use their talents somewhere else, who can appreciate and give them higher compensation and benefits.

Cons

No regards to the value of employees. Employees are easily dispensable. Very disrespectful in the way they let go their hard working & dedicated employees. Yearly salary looks high, but benefits are crappy...health, 401k, conducting yearly performance review and yearly goal that you need to accomplish. Ask what's the purpose of that...nothing. One-way benefit to the company for you to accomplish your set goals, nothing for employees. No yearly bonus, no yearly performance increase....NOTHING.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and compensate them for a job well done with material impact, not a cheap gift certificate or 'thank you' card.

4. "If the campaign is IC Solutions or Access Corrections, DON'T DO IT!! Vile customers!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate

I worked at Dialog Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to work from home and do it in my pajamas if I wanted to. That's the only pro about this.

Cons

Dialog Direct's biggest campaigns are IC Solutions and Access Corrections. You're dealing with highly emotional customers with 'loved' ones that are incarcerated. ICS campaign is setting up prepaid collect calling accounts and Access Corrections (Keefe) is the commissary side. These 'companies' are the bottom of the barrel compared to other similar companies. If you like to be cursed out and yelled at frequently by customers this job is for you. In the hiring process they made it seem you may have a an irate customer here and there. Which it's not the case.

Be prepared to get the very minimum training. They leave out a lot of important information purposely so you don't 'volunteer' information to keep your talk time low. So, if you're used to actually helping a customer. This job is not for you. The customers know more than you. (In the beginning anyway, you learn as you go) Prepare yourself to be berated by the customer because you cannot answer their questions and the Team Leads all give inconsistent answers to your questions. That's if and when they actually decide to answer you. I did a lot of research on my own time just so I didn't sound like an idiot to the customers. Because when I had asked my Team Lead to learn certain things and I NEVER got anything I requested.

The pay is $9.00/hr to start. With $.15 raises every 4 months if your numbers are good. Not worth the stress. There's no pay differential for working every weekend.

Make sure when you're applying for the WFH position you're ok with your schedule. When they advertise as be 'available' to work weekends and holidays. They mean to work EVERY WEEKEND AND HOLIDAY! You have a set schedule. It's not flexible!!!! When you're eligible for holiday pay you do not always get it, even if you work it if you miss a day before or after. I have worked every weekend and holiday because of how my schedule is. Yes, this means EVERY HOLIDAY!

The 'soft' phone application they use for you to take calls is called AVAYA. Similar to VOIP, It's always staticky, skipping, or echoing. Either the customer cannot hear you or you cannot hear them. If it's super busy and calls are in queue, which is always, the calls drop constantly either because of quality or it timed out on the transferred calls. The customers always say they were hung up on. Which is not the case. You cannot just say our system sucks and the call dropped. (Irony for a company that has the term 'Advanced Technology' in its title and provides phone services)

As for the virtual machine system you have to install on your computer to use from Citrix in order to run their programs... Pretty much sucks. I've never worked for a company (ICS/AC) with such inadequate systems. It freezes constantly, or will lose all info you just entered. Then you have to log out, log back in. It's a vital part for us to do our jobs properly. And it is sub-par to say the least.

Also, there's an unspoken code with the agents. You don't snitch on one another. Or report other agents because a customer said something. We deal with some scheming, lying, cheating customers and you're going to take their word as gold? Nawwww. They're not always right. Trust me!

Advice to Management

Team leads are petty at times. Answer the agents questions correctly and consistently when they have them. The passive aggressive management style gets old real quick. When you have good agents, appreciate them. Pay them what they're worth! $9 an hour to deal with ICS/AC customers is NOT ENOUGH!

5. "starter job"

Pros

Decent pay, good hours,skills training

Cons

Lots of lay offs, And constant changes

6. "WARNING! WARNING! DANGER!"

Former Employee - RSA Customer Service Representative in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - RSA Customer Service Representative in Holland, MI

I worked at Dialog Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people on the line are, generally, good people to work with. Management leaves much to be desired. If you're not a brown nose, you have no future here. They do not promote based on merit.

Cons

blatant favoritism. You do not get promoted or considered for any kind of position unless you brown-nose the manager. Also schedules are not based on merit, but on favoritism, as well.

Advice to Management

get the favoritism out of the call center! Promotions and schedules should be based on merit, not on how well you kiss up to management.

7. "Dialog Direct"

I have been working at Dialog Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-Workers, location, income. There are no other pros to this company

Cons

Management, HR Department, Dirty, Needs updating, infested

Advice to Management

Needs improvement

"No job security or chances of growth. Poor executive Leaders."

Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Dialog Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, people are very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

The IT department lacks Business processes and definitions. It is a mess with high turnover. Job descriptions are muddled and lack clarity for e.g. sometimes you will have three people on a project doing the same thing. IT lacks QA and a UAT department, which is a huge RED FLAG. It’s funny that none of the Executive Management or CEO acknowledges or cares about this.

The PMO dept since its inception just makes promises and can’t walk the talk. They have brought no structure, definition and/or defined processes to the company. Documentation is nonexistent and this company is miles away from any type of defined structure.

Job security is non existent. Tenure has no value to this company as they will discard you in a minute. If you are a seasoned IT professional, don't waste your time here. All you will get is false hope and disappointment.

Advice to Management

The CIO has NO clue as to what he is doing & where he is taking the company. Under his leadership, Dialog Direct has been through two unsuccessful reorgs with No success. Many of the IT folks are underpaid and the attrition in the IT dept is very high. Mass layoffs are NOT the solution. All RED flags. Maybe you should take advise from the weekly Speed-read you send out.

"I wouldn't wish this job on my worst enemy (FORT WORTH TEXAS)"

I have been working at Dialog Direct full-time

Pros

Quick to get on the floor, easy job, SOME co-workers are nice to work with. Renovations are a plus.

Cons

This job has literally switched my hours and implemented them the following Saturday (since pay periods start on saturdays and end on Fridays). People have children and second jobs. The hiring managers were made aware of these things from the very beginning and instead of asking EVERYONE (not just their favorites) on what schedule would work best for them, they tell people what their schedules would be. This is an inconvenience to their spouses, children, 2nd jobs/coworkers. You don't have proper training on things you could have been trained on. Zero Variance is the name of the company that grades your calls and they score you incorrectly because they don't know the information that they are supposed to know. They are told to FIND SOMETHING to score your quality. It seems like some people's calls are graded more than others. Management, employees, and Senior Policy Analysts need to be revamped because the whole staff here is bad! AND THE PARKING IS TERRIBLE. I SPEND 5 minutes of my time trying to get from my car into the building!

Advice to Management

Be fair! Stop playing favorites. If someone deserves an award give it to them. Also, stop making up rules at the last second when you know corporate is going to show up! If you actually take the time to care and do your job correctly, you won't have to clean up behind yourself when higher management comes. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you could keep a documented record of your point system and call quality scores. We have lockers for a reason!

10. "Avoid if possible"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Macomb, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Macomb, MI

I have been working at Dialog Direct full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance, paid training, some good coworkers, three breaks per shift, steady schedule and don't have to work weekends

Cons

Low pay, stressful calls, stressful management, incredibly nitpicky about attendance, can't be a single second late, don't give you access to everything you need to do your job, training isn't much help because the training program is 6-7 years old. INCREDIBLY high turnover rate. Get screamed at by customers, get screamed at by your boss. There's really no winning here.

Advice to Management

Calm down and realize your employees are human. And pay them more.