Dialog Semiconductor Reviews | Glassdoor

Jalal Bagherli

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dialog Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snack and dinner. This might be the only positive side I found from this company.

Cons

Very hierarchical working environment, even bureaucratic! Young engineers are paid horrible, much below the average compensation around the bay area. The young are not respect for your voice and opinions. Engineers are often forced to work overtime. I was asked by the manager to work until 7pm or 8pm. Sometimes I had to stay over 9pm. He also forces me to go to the lab on Saturday. Also, I feel far from being respected or being appreciated.
     My group has only 15 engineers including one director, four managers and one team leader, three principle engineers, and there is still one manager opening. The management team is even larger than the engineer team! How ridiculous this is! Even with this giant management team, project management is not well organized at all. Over half of the people in the group are working with very low productivity. So, the repetitive and tedious tasks are all assigned to the young engineers, leading to a very limited personal development to the young. The managers are also very demanding to the engineers.

If you are an old, come and join. You will enjoy being here.

If you are a young engineer or new grad, get away from here unless this is your last resort. Before you come here, be prepared for being unappreciated, underrated, underestimated, and most of all, underpaid.

Advice to Management

At least for my team, the manager have no idea how to do management.

"Not what I envisaged"

I worked at Dialog Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary better than most competitors, offices are nice, some decent benefits.

Cons

-Very political and "cold", lots of back-biting.

-Processes take a long time (training, for one).

-Certain political players get all the good work and perks. Not good if not into politics - made me sick to see.

-They retain poisonous employees who are either no good at their job, sow seeds of discord, or are very adept at playing the political game. Definitely favouritism.

-Offices, while nice, are often lacking atmosphere.

-Too many trying to climb the greasy pole.

-Lack of communication in some offices.

-Munich & Austrian offices over-worked.

-Project management office treats you like a number.

-Reverence for 'top designers' but couldn't see why; I saw several design flaws I would have changed.

-Lack of interesting work for apps, design, and possibly other functions - heard this was particularly bad at Edinburgh site but can't confirm.

-Analogue & Digital design was almost non-existent - across sites there is a lot of grumbling about designers being used only for verification purposes; design skills die out over time so not a good situation for the employee.

-Personally, I left one of the German offices after just over a year for a LOWER salary at another company in Austria, but I'm getting better experience which will be of benefit in the long-run. Turns out money isn't everything.

Advice to Management

Where do I start...

"Mostly very good but some bas aswell"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Dialog Semiconductor (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very easygoing atmosphere, and working with some of the brightest people around. The atmosphere can be a bitt geeky, but that seems to suit most of as that's exactly what we are, geeks. Atleast you can be sure that you won't have to suffer any boring talk about X-Factor, Strictly Come Dancing, East Enders or similar

Cons

Overly political environment. Every action by every employee is a political act, and unless you, your boss and your boss's boss are ALL equally adept at playing the political game, no amount of talent alone will get you to where you want to be. Your better off being bad at your job but a good political operator than the other way round.

As the company grows (which it has been doing for some time), new processes, procedures and software (usually produced in-house) are rolled out, that provide an increasingly heavy burden. Efficiency and quality take a dive, but atleast the processes are followed.

Advice to Management

Listen to people at the coalface who actually do the jobs

5. "Good place to retire. Management and leads who don't care for engineers careers. Most people are OK."

Former Employee - Design in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Dialog Semiconductor full-time

Pros

Stable company (whilst business is good)
    Some People are OK.

Cons

Type of Work in main product is painful!
    Will be working on verification nearly all the time.
    Stale atmosphere.
    Too much ineffective middle-management.

Advice to Management

Agree with previous reviews Too much office politics and people who are good at this will succeed. Allow more work flexibility.

"LiGioi"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Dialog Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefit, flexible working hours, a lot of activities, easygoing people

Cons

little growth
    no clear market direction
    HR efficiency and management should be improved

7. "Poor communication"

I have been working at Dialog Semiconductor (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, snacks, opportunity, company business

Cons

Communication, Management, under staffed, over worked

Advice to Management

Your word represents the Company. If you say something, do it. Too many times things were said that were never followed through on. Act like you care & employees matter.

"Management in Netherlands has no long term vision"

I worked at Dialog Semiconductor full-time

Pros

- Good atmosphere and friendly colleagues.
    - OK place to start and gain some experience, but not a place you want to work in for very long.

Cons

- No long-term vision. Management is always one step behind trying to catch up with competition.
    - Low salary.
    - Bad cafeteria.

Advice to Management

- Listen to your engineers more often.
    - Reconsider better salaries.

"Mixed bag experience"

Former Employee - Analog IC Designer in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I worked at Dialog Semiconductor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very smart bunch of people to work with, intellectually stimulating environment, strong focus around innovation.

Cons

Compensation package not upto market standards, work culture is pretty geeky unlike companies like google where its more open and friendly etc

"Meh.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Dialog Semiconductor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid training courses, many benefits and stock options. Some engineers are paid very generously. Most importantly, the company has a future.

Cons

Bad location (Swindon). Design engineers mostly do verification (unless you're a Principle Engineer) and learn little. The business (power management) is not very interesting. Large gaps in engineering salaries.

"Mixed experiences"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Pros

Nice atmosphere, talented colleagues, good benefits.

Cons

Not too much of innovation, huge amount of verification work, getting political with many egos