Dialpad Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 13, 2019

3.9
Craig Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home days essentially at employee discretion (although I generally work from the office anyway)" (in 16 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance and benefits" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Overall, sales and marketing got through the growing pains and hit some amazing growth goals" (in 5 reviews)

• "Starting to feel a lot of growing pains with expanding engineering and team structure needs" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Truly Unbiased Review of a Growing Tech Startup"

I have been working at Dialpad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture - Craig and the other leadership have put and continue to put a lot of effort into culture. I have seen some reviews that speak about culture in the sense of a constant party, or cool perks. What they miss is that culture is more than that. It is the overarching belief that we are all building something greater than what we could do alone. If you are looking for that, this is the place for you.

Talent - Dialpad has some of the most talented engineers, product managers, sales professionals, and leadership in the industry. It is a great mix of young hungry talent and older, more experienced mentors. The pedigree here is incredible.

Opportunity - The leadership has done this before and are happy to share their knowledge. Because we are still in "startup mode" you make your own destiny, you control how you are viewed and seen here. You get the opportunity to wear multiple hats and help set direction.

Product - I have seen reviews that talk about how the product isn't that great. Most of the people writing that have no idea about the rest of Dialpad's competitors. They read marketing releases and somehow think we are behind. Every company has challenges as they decide what pieces to build and work on, but this is one of the best products in the UCaaS market. If you are using these reviews to decide whether to come here, go check out our free products to get a sense of what we do, make your own decision from there.

Cons

It's a Startup - Processes are not always in place, you might have to create your own. If you are used to having a "playbook" for every scenario, you might be overwhelmed in figuring out what to do next. There was also some turnover is sales leadership that led to some uncertainty in that org. None of it was anything that most companies don't deal with at some point.

Advice to Management

- Keep focusing on innovation and delivering a truly differentiated user experience.

- Allow people to express their ideas and opinions, but always look at them through the lens of Dialpad's true vision, to change the way people communicate. We don't need to be more like XYZ company, we need to be Dialpad.

- Continue to be transparent, this is one of the most unique things about Dialpad, as I have never been another place that was so blunt about where we are and where we are going.

"Disrupting the market and scaling the right way"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Dialpad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has outstanding leadership, and after some tweaking on the sales side, I believe the right pieces are in place to take this company to the next level. Dialpad does an outstanding job of recognizing people that go above and beyond. There is also a very refreshing level of transparency that comes from the top down, everyone feels like they have a voice at this company. Dialpad checks all the boxes for me.

Cons

Standard growing pains of a company that is constantly evaluating processes and looking for ways to improve, nothing out of the ordinary. The product is amazing, but outside of Uberconference we lack brand recognition in the enterprise space, but I have efforts to improve this over the last 6 months.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the right people, don't settle for mediocrity.

"Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - BDR in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - BDR in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dialpad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Good Base Pay
    -Managers don't feel like managers and really want to see you grow.
    -If you don't like your role you can switch into a different career path within the company
    -Catered lunch food 3 times a week, breakfast and snacks all day every day
    -1:1 training. Whenever I have a question we can set meetings to help us or just call over anyone to help us.
    - It's growing fast and we get tons of equity in the company which none of my friends get at their companies

Overall, they take care of you and know employees come first. It's a calm but fast-paced environment because everyone actually enjoys being here and is driven (not pushed) to succeed. Its incredible how some of these reviews reflect people who were fired because they literally didn't work. They would show up late and do nothing all day and its not right to make false claims about an awesome company who treats their employees like family.

Cons

It's a startup. Not everything is going to go 100% smoothly as we're constantly changing tactics but that's expected with any startup. To me it makes it exciting and im learning so much that wouldn't be possible at most other companies.

You have to work hard. This is sales, and if you are driven you will succeed. But everyone is so supportive it makes it fun and the office is DOPE. I never want to leave this company.

"Skyrocket Your Career!"

I have been working at Dialpad full-time

Pros

- Ownership
    - Challenging marketplace to disrupt
    - The people
    - The product
    - The leadership
    - Culture

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. We are growing in an exceptional rate.

"1.5 years later"

I have been working at Dialpad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Huge market. Great product/market fit. Legitimate $1B potential.
    - Founders have a history of success
    - Backed by investors who are pretty good at picking winners
    - Positive momentum across every segment (product & revenue)
    - Generally fun place to work with mostly smart & interesting people
    - Your expected startup perks -- Meals, Parties, etc...

Cons

- People fall into two camps. People who have been here forever & newer employees. The company has been built largely by a bunch of very talented and fairly immature people. You get where this is going -- change is hard and some people are handling it better than others. The company is almost at 400 people and some early employees are upset about that. This is a problem that comes with growing and every growth company experiences it. The negative reviews all have the same vibe, which is "It's not like it used to be." Yeah, no kidding. That's a good thing.

- Honestly, your experience here is going to be largely based on your before you got here. If you've been in a lot of high-growth companies, then Dialpad is probably the most functional company you've every worked for. If not, then the pace will be a challenge for you.

"This Place Will Only Improve"

I have been working at Dialpad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

5 months into my role and this place is truly amazing. Leadership is open, honest and trusting. Decisions are being made at every level of the company. Things are moving quickly and in the right direction. Coming from a previous successful startup and we are head/shoulders above. If you are looking to be challenged, work hard and see the impact of your work, this is the place for you.

Cons

I wish I would have come here sooner.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide transparency and insights into what decisions are being made at every level. Challenge your people to deliver great results and don't settle for anything less.

"Andreessen Horowitz, PLEASE READ"

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Dialpad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

**Ton of fake reviews created or incentivized by HR coupled with the fact that if you're fired or leave they tie a NDA to your severance, so be cautious**
    -Some what decent SKO
    -Free Lunch
    -Engineering still has intelligent team members
    -Modern offices in good spots of towns (Raleigh, Austin, 3 offices in the Bay Area, Vancouver)
    -Product much better than competitors (except for GoogleVoice)
    -Ton of VC money to spend (*more on this later)
    -Cool founding story (founders created GoogleVoice)
    -The potential to disrupt an old neglected side of business
    -Was a unique platform before Google re-entered the market
    -If you're not in a sales role, very relaxed stable job with normal working hours...or however much you want to put into it
    -If you're a "yes" woman you can prosper (*if not in direct sales) and be the face of their "diversity" push
    -If you're a "yes" man in leadership or non-sales role, you can prosper without accomplishing anything significant besides not being let go
    -Sales managed by the # of dials and emails (which some fake) if you like that style of "management"
    -Very good way to pad your resume, add a title you didn't have before, or build experience to go to a better more competitive company
    -Very easy interview process if you're competent and competitive
    -Referral bonuses have made people here decent money since it's how they get a majority of their new hires

Cons

The CEOs ability to run through 3 CROs in the last 2-2.5 years, with many more fires, hires, layoffs, mass exits, HUGE turnover (outside of engineering) is indicative of systemic issues making this organization close to good but not quite.
    -Most of leadership is mediocre, talk a big game but no results, lack experience, "yes" men, come from dying companies, and or are un-professional (for example a leader having an extramarital affair with a subordinate, and it being witnessed)
    -No one but 1-2 people hit quota, and enterprise reps creep or close deals commercial reps should be closing
    -Excluding young SDRs who are shoved into churned AE roles, no one gets promoted or gets raises
    -CEO and leadership think the product sells itself, and under value sales reps and or fire directs without taking a look at management
    -Marketing & sales continuously fail to capitalize on the unique platform which means there is little to no market presence or brand awareness outside of the Bay
    -Google decided to turn GoogleVoice into a business product offered with their productivity suite, and are slowly eating Dialpad's messaging and lunch
    -Marketing funnel dried up and all the new marketing team did was replicate the old marketing team's effort, lots of unnecessary trial and error = waste of $$$
    -Overspend on over produced videos that fail to garnish much attention or appeal
    -Tons of fake, under qualified marketing leads with new and old marketing team
    -Many hate coming in but try to make it enjoyable by developing social cliques, which breeds problems and compounds the culture problem
    -Since all of the experienced sales people left (whoever is left is on the prowl) the teams have been filled with inexperienced reps who accept lower pay to get a shot at being a sales rep and build their resumes to go somewhere "better"
    -If you went to UC Berkeley, you have a 99% chance of being hired because it's the CEOs alma mater and the "good old boy" system is very real.
    -Although there's money being thrown every which way, don't expect to be paid more than average unless your boss has significant pull...if you're filling a sales role they like to under pay (they'll brag about the savings they made off you) and if they move quickly with you chances are you are very green so take the job
    -Commission rates (to my knowledge) are less than other technology companies especially in startup land
    -Gong and Chorus are more mature, has better marketing, way more customers, and a better market fit than the AI company Dialpad acquired
    -Super slow sales cycles, one big logo took over 2 years to close in enterprise, commercial usually takes a year
    -There is a lot of discrimination and odd practices (resignations and lawsuits) in this workplace, maybe an indicator to the General Counsel's un-announced leave from the company after 3.5 years

CEO and leadership brag about VC money, and how much they need to burn so they do the following:
    -buy software licenses for unnecessary platforms when we did well before without them
    -channel team spends lots of money partying, on alcohol or food trying to buy favor and not viewed well (huge channel sales pipeline compared to actual closed revenue)
    -marketing spending money on silly efforts like wrapping buses and billboards which are capital intensive and specific only to the bay
    -doubling the size of the sales team although sales were struggling before
    -swapping in and out of learning management software
    -vastly over hiring for non-crucial/admin roles (engineers could use more help while sales and marketing figure it out or start getting close to their actual quotas)
    -spending tons of money on SKOs and getting drunk with investment partners
    -hired a full sales operations team that reinvented the wheel
    -expanded HR team to combat culture issues not realizing culture starts with leadership
    -pay or arrange to have themselves on "great place to work" lists or "fast growing startups" lists to hoodwink prospective talent and for Bay area "bragging rights"
    -VC cash allows them to hire fast, fire faster.

Advice to Management

Investors, either add a COO to check the CEO or check the CEO yourself because this ship has been burning and no where near Unicorn status as GoogleVoice comes into the picture. Force the founding team to sell to Salesforce, Zendesk, or ServiceNow before it busts, we've all seen the numbers and the small uplift is nowhere near where you want it to be or where the CEO has promised. Burn rate will become a problem, inability to win big logos in a timely fashion is already a problem, and culture has been awful for too long. Ask yourself why this places has a revolving door of employees...why haven't you seen an exponential increase of customers like other tech startups?

"Not a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Dialpad (More than a year)

Pros

I would not recommend working for this company. The pay is very bad for the amount of hours worked and management is poor. Was just a waste of time for me and many others.

Cons

This company cares about profit and NOTHING else. They do not care about their employees at all. This was the most miserable job I have ever had. It is not worth the money.

"Sinking Ship, don't believe this fake reviews"

I have been working at Dialpad full-time

Pros

Nice people
    Lunch
    Base Salary is Okay

Cons

This company is a sinking ship. In order for a startup to be successful it starts internal. Majority of the people internally hate coming to work, and are buying time until the find a new job. There's no passion around the product or company.

Ask the team a few questions when your going through the interview process

- how much turn over has the team experienced in the last 12 months?
    - * 90% of the sales staff has left the org and changed roles
    - Why has there been 3 CRO’S in the last 2 years?
    - What’s the training program?
    - * nonexistent
    - How many people hit and exceeded quota( fully ramped)
    - *1 person previous Quarter, out of the entire sales team
    - What are the marketing efforts?
    - *entire marketing team stolen by a competitor. The team recently bought In a new CMO

Diversity
    - None existint, any person of color has left or been fired

Market
    - very old school boys club type of market. Your selling telephony which is usually not on the priority list of organizations. This product is a good to have at best.
    - This product has to be sold through the channel
    - None transferable skills - once you leave Dialpad nobody cares you sold telephony, not transferable to any other tech market.

Overall very negative energy around the team. If you read through the reviews there’s multiple references to sexism, and racism. All of these statements hold true

Base salary is okay, but majority of the team is making little to no commission. Don’t let the base salary blind you to all the holes in organization

Ask yourself, do you really want to sell telephone service?

Also ask yourself why over 40 people have started in the last 90 days. That figure alone shows the high turnover within this organization. That number can be verified using LinkedIn Premium

Lastly, Any positive review here is written by HR, or by someone who’s been at the organization for short period of time

I was bought in after my company was acquired, and it was the worst experience of my career. Please do not let these fake reviews blind you from

Advice to Management

Remove weak management. They are Spineless people and managers. Diversity and Inclusion Initives.

"No longer great."

I worked at Dialpad full-time

Pros

Easy location, some wonderful people - nice employee swag (backpacks and patagonias - (however if you have one of these you are a legacy employee and likely have a target on your back - see below)). Good benefits.

Cons

They will say it is 'growing pains', but it really is a lack of direction and honest/real leadership.

Huge divide between the quality of the original leadership team (pre-2017) and new leadership team. The company lost sight of company values and how to treat people. There are some wonderful people there, but there are also entitled and nasty employees that spoil it.

New leadership has pushed out loyal employees and have solely given career growth to people they personally bring in, not people that have proven themselves and stuck by the company for years. If you are a legacy employee you are almost punished for being part of Dialpad's roots.

HR is now worthless - likely the root cause of the loss of Dialpad culture and values. Shady, not transparent, disorganized and not working for the best interest of employees.

Sales - they seem to always miss their goals...

Marketing and Design - think they are better than everyone else - like the kids in high school that continue to think they can berate and bully others. sad really because they can't seem to keep one branding style or company slogan. Get over yourselves.

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from and who got you there. Remember what happened the last time you had shady leaders making big company decisions.