Diamond Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Employer"

Former Employee - Senior Benefits Analyst in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Benefits Analyst in Stockton, CA

I worked at Diamond Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team.. Company cared about employees

Cons

Company acquired by National Pecan. National Pecan has a different philosophy and is less generous.

2. "Laborer"

I worked at Diamond Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of overtime room for advancement Fast Pace always work available

Cons

Not a lot of time off very back-breaking

3. "Worst Place I've Ever Worked"

I worked at Diamond Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You make a paycheck and you might get benefits. MAYBE.

Cons

Where to begin? Between terrible managers that facilitated a hostile work environment to unrealistic production expectations only attainable if you cut corners, it was a terrible place to work. The only way to survive is to suck up to management and that doesn't always work. That or cut corners to produce more at the risk of producing sub par products and be in the hot seat anyway. I've seen well intended employees that had nothing to do get yelled at and disrespected by managers for asking for work to do. I'd call that being proactive, but apparently managers felt that a justification to threaten to fire someone that actually wanted to work. Operators in all departments were underpaid in my opinion especially considering the environment we would have to work in. Don't expect to be appreciated or treated like a human. Expect to be treated like expendable cattle or machinery. Unless you are in a survival situation, I'd recommend staying far away.

Advice to Management

Yeah, like any of you would heed my words...

4. "Diamond in the rough"

I worked at Diamond Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good home life balance.

Cons

Not good management at plant level.

"Supply Chain Planner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Diamond Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning opportunities -
    Upper Management is Great

Cons

Toxic environment - ( Only the last 5 months) Before then I loved coming to work

6. "Director"

I worked at Diamond Foods full-time

Pros

Great company with great products.

Cons

The acquisition from Snyder's Lance was terrible.

7. "customer service coordinator"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Diamond Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people to work with on a daily

Cons

entry level pay rate

8. "Training? What's Training?"

Current Employee - General Laborer in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - General Laborer in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Diamond Foods full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the work is pretty easy and routine. The top manager was always cordial and friendly to me. I never had any issues with him personally. There are chances to move up to higher paying positions, but everything is based on Seniority, and then aptitude tests. You could ace the test, but get bumped out by someone with higher seniority than you. Personally I'm not a fan of seniority over ability. Just because someone's been there longer doesn't make them a better employee. You can also potentially be hired straight into those positions, so people with forklift or production operation experience might want to consider going straight for those positions.

Cons

OH MY GOD Where do I start? The management there is unreal, they have absolutely ZERO concept of training employees in new job functions. You get your basic orientation training on safety and food safety and that's it. No actual job function training, just "go do this, go do that." Unfortunately a lot of the managers there don't have the best grasp of English either and their communication skills are mediocre at best. When a person has to instruct others on how to perform a job it should be imperative that they at least be able to speak English clearly and concisely, but no that doesn't happen here. The environment is loud, we have to wear ear plugs, so that already puts a strain on normal clear communication. But add in managers who's accents are so thick you wouldn't be able to understand them in a calm quiet environment, communication absolutely breaks down.

The other major issue is scheduling. Its inconsistent as all heck, and its so backwards I don't understand it. They unschedule people for weeks at a time, then wonder why 70% of their new hires leave. People have bills to pay and kids to feed and these people are saying "Great congratulations on your new job" providing a sense of security, then you get cut from the schedule for two weeks and that's two paychecks you don't get to take care of your needs. Beyond that, they unschedule a lot of people then make their higher seniority people work overtime running them ragged. You don't get effective work out of tired people, even if they are making overtime.

The last major con is that this job is Union. Normally I wouldn't say that's a bad thing except THERE IS ZERO REPRESENTATION BY THE UNION HERE. Never saw a Union Rep, didn't get any benefits, yet I still had to pay union dues and fees, which ate up my last check. I was told there was a sign with a number to call up on the wall, but that was the extent of our "Representation." The way Diamond Foods talked about it it was like a touchy dirty subject to them they were rather terse when questions about the Union came up during orientation. The whole thing felt sketchy to me.

This company promises great things when promoting and hiring, but it's hidden behind a huge paywall of shenanigans and bad business that might just leave you out in the cold because you've got bills to pay and Diamond Foods doesn't need you for weeks at a time. This company is definitely not worth the trouble, and union or not, There are better minimum wage positions out there. I suggest you pass on Diamond Foods for another company that will pay you just the same with more reliability in scheduling and better management to train you on how to do your job properly and safely.

Advice to Management

Learn to train your employees before they perform a job function, not after they've managed to screw it up. Also learn to communicate more effectively. I don't care who a person is, if they can't speak English clearly, then they shouldn't have the job. I'm sorry but this is America, English is the primary language people speak here, it should kinda be a requisite for being in charge of a diverse group of people.

"Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in San Jose, CA

I worked at Diamond Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and collaborative group. Solid brand portfolio.

Cons

Felt that at times management may not have been totally aligned

10. "Production Supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Diamond Foods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to develop you management skills.

Cons

A lot of hours of your day will be required, also too many production lines and packaging lines assigned to a single Supervisor per shift.

Advice to Management

provide more support.