Diane's Beachwear Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
Diane Biggs,

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • It is hard to maintain upper management as well as sales persons (in 14 reviews)

• This could have been because the turn over rate was extremely high (in 6 reviews)

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros to working at Dianes Beachwear was high commission during the summer and having a fun work environment. Twenty five percent off of merchandise was also a perk.

Cons

The cons were high turn over rate; Six+ new managers and all new sales associates throughout a year time span. When summer is over barely anyone comes in and you get sent home early. Manager with bikini history, but wants to run the store her way. ( Which was messy and unorganized ) making it very difficult to help customers and pick up the pieces behind her. When you call other stores to transfer the items won't arrive or sometimes they send them to the wrong store leaving customers upset and not wanting to ever come back. Not enough stock or sizes; made it impossible to sell a set and make your commission.

Advice to Management

Have less stores; and have Diane herself check on them monthly to make sure things are in order. Don't hire amateurs to manage; when people within the company who have less experience could do it ten times better. Reason: They know the lay of the land and clientele much better.

2. "Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had some amazing coworkers that I came to love. The discount is decent: 25% for keyholders and sales associates and 40% for managers.

Cons

Literally everything. This company is a mess and treats their employees awfully. My store was always low on sizes and merchandise. During winter, hardly anyone would come into the store and management gets mad when you don’t meet your sales goals and wonders why. My coworkers would use their own money to buy merchandise to meet their own sales goals and to raise their UPT. You never know when you’re going to get fired, it could be today or next month: but it’s inevitable that you will get fed up and quit or stay long enough to be fired at some point. Also the systems and store itself are incredibly outdated. We still do everything on paper.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you would want to be treated. Stock stores with more sizes and merchandise. Diane- its time to retire and hire a new team to come in and completely redo everything about this company.

"Hours and Scheduling"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All your coworkers are super nice and usually the customers are also.

Cons

Scheduling is horrible, they switch store hours so much it is hard to keep track of. They do not listen when you say you are out of town a certain weekend two months ahead and they force selling way too much to the point where it is too stressful for what you are getting paid for.

"A Downhill Slope"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING coworkers, great merchandise, commission

Cons

Basically everything else. Management is awful, expectations in the off season are unrealistic, was constantly being cut 15-25 hours per week. Was also being put down despite having great numbers during the off season. Very obvious favoritism as well.

Advice to Management

Don't work off of the negative things your coworkers are doing, but rather focus on the positives. Work on making realistic goals and make sure your employees WANT to be there! I hated showing up to work, so how do you expect my attitude to be while I'm on the floor?

"Horrific company... do not enter!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA

Pros

Fun and friendly co-workers, beach location, cute merchandise

Cons

They expect you to meet a hugely unrealistic quota by the end of your shift and if you don't, they blame you for not being good enough and get mad at you for not forcing the customers to buy. (even in the slow winter months when no one is buying bikinis). They want you to be overly demanding and forward to the customers, which actually ends up making them mad and sends them away... not make them want to buy. You're not supposed to be cleaning when customers are in the store but then they get super mad at you if they see a speck of dust on the ground. It is such an unhealthy place to be all day... there is mold growing on the curtains and in the bathroom and cockroaches behind the shelves. If you ever have a serious family emergency or are really sick they don't believe you and tell you to "make it work" and still come in. All of the district managers are rigid and micro manage like crazy. Even if there are barely any customers (like on a rainy winter day) they expect you to make a huge amount of money. They say "all it takes is one person to come in to make a big sale". If you don't horrass the customers and watch them shop and follow them around annoying them, they get really mad at you and will even send you home. As far as pay goes.... they will take advantage of you for as long as you let them, until you get fed up with all of the time and energy you give them and ask for a raise just to hear them say no. Working in this company is practically slave labor and I do not recommend it. There is a difference between knowing how to sell and being forced to annoy customers and practically beg them to buy. It is widely known that this is a bad company to work for... I used to tell people I worked here and they would be like "omg how did you last so long? I heard it's such a rigid place to work and they fire people for no reason". The truth is, all of the good, hard-working, loyal, good people either feel like they are being immoral and quit or are fired... and the mean, toxic women end up staying in the company forever. I see no hope for Diane's unless they begin treating their employees better. While working there, I went through 13 managers in 7 months. Those numbers speak for themselves. They do many things illegally as well, which I hope they one day get in trouble for.

Advice to Management

Value and respect your employees more and don't have unrealistic goals.

"Sales Associate"

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25% discount, friendly co-workers, commission

Cons

No training, belittled for having low sales, very unorganized and old-fashioned.

Advice to Management

Train workers more thoroughly in the beginning and treat them with respect.

"Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was by the beach, so I got to escape somewhere pretty on my lunch break

Cons

Where do I even start?
    -Some managers bullied girls and reduced them to tears. Extremely negative and oppressive environment everyday and girls were visibly unhappy.
    -Many of the appliances in the store are broken, but management refuses to spend the money to fix them! We had a rack repeatedly fall into pieces around customers, and even had a girl quit after it slashed her face open. As far as I know, it's still there until this day
    -Stealing each other's clients was expected and even ENCOURAGED! I would spend an hour with a customer, only to have a manager swoop in and take credit on the way to the register
    -High stress and high pressure with virtually no training or encouragement. Our manager pulled every single girl into the store one day and threatened to fire everyone! (Not one girl was fired.) This is no way to motivate or treat people!
    -Highest turnover I have ever seen. After three months, I was working with an entirely new set of people. Girls would quit after three weeks and go work at other retail stores across the street
    -Management would behave unprofessionally in front of customers, either chastising the sales girls openly or taunting the customers behind their back!

Advice to Management

Stop bullying your employees and learn to be decent human beings. I wouldn't wish this awful company on my worst enemy.

"My 6 Month Stay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

Everyone was always paid on time in full and never had to wait for a paycheck. Also, overtime was double.

Cons

The retail store culture had a lot to do with the extreme numbers of girls being hired and quitting. In my six months at Diane's Beachwear I saw 7 employees hired and then they promptly quit or held out a month or two. It felt like a dictatorship where everyone walked on egg shells 24/7.

"Shady, unprofessional, unrealistic, and unfair."

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing!!!! Horrible company to work for.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations to make quotas, unreliable hours even though schedules were made weeks in advance.

Advice to Management

Before I applied for Diane's I looked it up on GlassDoor. I should have taken the reviews seriously. I hope I can change your mind if you want to work for this God awful company. Don't waste your time. Here you go girls:

Corporate, stop trying to make/beat/match last years quotas and actually allow your employees to come to work. The numbers are low because you are losing repeat customers. Hook up your security cameras and review footage, sensor your merchandise, upgrade the POS system, clean your stores, don't make us leave stupid messages reporting daily numbers, don't fire employees for low sales when you won't allow them to come to work because the stores "numbers" are too low or payroll is too high. Don't fire girls for not being enthusiastic when they leave daily messages reporting numbers. Allow room for growth, don't promise a raise and then never follow up.
    Stop with the bs frequent write-ups; it's a minimum wage job with zero opportunity for growth and you mess with our schedules daily. Do you think that motivates your employees? Do you really think we can add "clients" if we can't even come in and then think it's ok to write us up for it? I was scheduled to work 30 hours a week but was lucky if I got 6!!! Every day I would get a call to come in later or not at all. I was called off 9 minutes before I was supposed to clock in, all the time. I was called in on my days off. Your managers steal sales from the associate girls! I was given write-ups for not meeting minimum weekly requirements when I couldn't even come in! And when I questioned the write-ups I was told "If corporate comes in and no one has a write-up then they will question if we are really doing our jobs". So basically you gave me write-ups just for the hell of it! Don't you realize this will mess up our future employment? Diane doesn't even acknowledge her employees when she comes in to check the store. She takes merchandise off the floor for herself and wonders why it messes up our inventory. The managers are two faced and don't give verbal warnings... they just hand out write-ups like candy. They don't offer any praise for accomplishment. If you are lucky enough to sell anything and you get too close to their numbers, they tell you to stop selling for the rest of your shift. They are extremely unprofessional. They spend the shift talking about sex and making fun of clients while they are trying on merchandise. They freely throw around demeaning words and call you (body part) names.

10. "Summer Time Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Belmont Shore, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Belmont Shore, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diane's Beachwear is a good summer time job. It is a good first time job for someone getting into retail. Cute merchandise and fun locations.

Cons

Worked there, then hired new managers and they didn't even know of my existence. Slow during off seasons and no opportunities for commission.

Advice to Management

Have better communication with your employees.