Diane's Beachwear Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Diane Biggs,

Pros
Cons
  • Some of the upper management are terrorizing (in 13 reviews)

• There's a huge lack of training and the turn over rate (in 6 reviews)

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros to working at Dianes Beachwear was high commission during the summer and having a fun work environment. Twenty five percent off of merchandise was also a perk.

Cons

The cons were high turn over rate; Six+ new managers and all new sales associates throughout a year time span. When summer is over barely anyone comes in and you get sent home early. Manager with bikini history, but wants to run the store her way. ( Which was messy and unorganized ) making it very difficult to help customers and pick up the pieces behind her. When you call other stores to transfer the items won't arrive or sometimes they send them to the wrong store leaving customers upset and not wanting to ever come back. Not enough stock or sizes; made it impossible to sell a set and make your commission.

Advice to Management

Have less stores; and have Diane herself check on them monthly to make sure things are in order. Don't hire amateurs to manage; when people within the company who have less experience could do it ten times better. Reason: They know the lay of the land and clientele much better.

"Hours and Scheduling"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All your coworkers are super nice and usually the customers are also.

Cons

Scheduling is horrible, they switch store hours so much it is hard to keep track of. They do not listen when you say you are out of town a certain weekend two months ahead and they force selling way too much to the point where it is too stressful for what you are getting paid for.

"A Downhill Slope"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AMAZING coworkers, great merchandise, commission

Cons

Basically everything else. Management is awful, expectations in the off season are unrealistic, was constantly being cut 15-25 hours per week. Was also being put down despite having great numbers during the off season. Very obvious favoritism as well.

Advice to Management

Don't work off of the negative things your coworkers are doing, but rather focus on the positives. Work on making realistic goals and make sure your employees WANT to be there! I hated showing up to work, so how do you expect my attitude to be while I'm on the floor?

"Horrific company... do not enter!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA

Pros

Fun and friendly co-workers, beach location, cute merchandise

Cons

They expect you to meet a hugely unrealistic quota by the end of your shift and if you don't, they blame you for not being good enough and get mad at you for not forcing the customers to buy. (even in the slow winter months when no one is buying bikinis). They want you to be overly demanding and forward to the customers, which actually ends up making them mad and sends them away... not make them want to buy. You're not supposed to be cleaning when customers are in the store but then they get super mad at you if they see a speck of dust on the ground. It is such an unhealthy place to be all day... there is mold growing on the curtains and in the bathroom and cockroaches behind the shelves. If you ever have a serious family emergency or are really sick they don't believe you and tell you to "make it work" and still come in. All of the district managers are rigid and micro manage like crazy. Even if there are barely any customers (like on a rainy winter day) they expect you to make a huge amount of money. They say "all it takes is one person to come in to make a big sale". If you don't horrass the customers and watch them shop and follow them around annoying them, they get really mad at you and will even send you home. As far as pay goes.... they will take advantage of you for as long as you let them, until you get fed up with all of the time and energy you give them and ask for a raise just to hear them say no. Working in this company is practically slave labor and I do not recommend it. There is a difference between knowing how to sell and being forced to annoy customers and practically beg them to buy. It is widely known that this is a bad company to work for... I used to tell people I worked here and they would be like "omg how did you last so long? I heard it's such a rigid place to work and they fire people for no reason". The truth is, all of the good, hard-working, loyal, good people either feel like they are being immoral and quit or are fired... and the mean, toxic women end up staying in the company forever. I see no hope for Diane's unless they begin treating their employees better. While working there, I went through 13 managers in 7 months. Those numbers speak for themselves. They do many things illegally as well, which I hope they one day get in trouble for.

Advice to Management

Value and respect your employees more and don't have unrealistic goals.

"Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was by the beach, so I got to escape somewhere pretty on my lunch break

Cons

Where do I even start?
    -Some managers bullied girls and reduced them to tears. Extremely negative and oppressive environment everyday and girls were visibly unhappy.
    -Many of the appliances in the store are broken, but management refuses to spend the money to fix them! We had a rack repeatedly fall into pieces around customers, and even had a girl quit after it slashed her face open. As far as I know, it's still there until this day
    -Stealing each other's clients was expected and even ENCOURAGED! I would spend an hour with a customer, only to have a manager swoop in and take credit on the way to the register
    -High stress and high pressure with virtually no training or encouragement. Our manager pulled every single girl into the store one day and threatened to fire everyone! (Not one girl was fired.) This is no way to motivate or treat people!
    -Highest turnover I have ever seen. After three months, I was working with an entirely new set of people. Girls would quit after three weeks and go work at other retail stores across the street
    -Management would behave unprofessionally in front of customers, either chastising the sales girls openly or taunting the customers behind their back!

Advice to Management

Stop bullying your employees and learn to be decent human beings. I wouldn't wish this awful company on my worst enemy.

"My 6 Month Stay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

Pros

Everyone was always paid on time in full and never had to wait for a paycheck. Also, overtime was double.

Cons

The retail store culture had a lot to do with the extreme numbers of girls being hired and quitting. In my six months at Diane's Beachwear I saw 7 employees hired and then they promptly quit or held out a month or two. It felt like a dictatorship where everyone walked on egg shells 24/7.

8. "Summer Time Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Belmont Shore, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Belmont Shore, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Diane's Beachwear is a good summer time job. It is a good first time job for someone getting into retail. Cute merchandise and fun locations.

Cons

Worked there, then hired new managers and they didn't even know of my existence. Slow during off seasons and no opportunities for commission.

Advice to Management

Have better communication with your employees.

"Hired as a sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wear pretty much whatever you want.
    Decent employee discount, but only valid after a month of employment.

Cons

After working in retail/sales for over two years at another company, I decided to apply for Diane's. Management was filled with the most disrespectful women I've yet to encounter. Zero job training and no guidance/direction. They will tell you to do something, then yell at you an hour later (in front of clients) for doing what was asked of you. The company information they sell you during training--about how they want to help you reach your best sales potential through the company's programming--is crap. The women who work for the company are selfish and only care about making quota. I expected a cut-throat sales environment; however, the treatment I received from the manager my first day was reason enough to quit the second day. A trained parrot could run a bathing suit store better than the managers I encountered here.

Also, employees are forbidden from bringing in any form of purse and from using cell phones while on break, even in the break room. How can you feel respected and inspired by a company that doesn't even trust you enough to let you bring your wallet to work--for fear you will stuff an entire bikini inside your coin pocket and walk out the front door with it!

The company's business infrastructure is in dire need of renovation and the management needs basic training in tact. Simple as that.

Do not apply or even consider this job if you like being treated with any speck of decency.

Advice to Management

Train your sales associates. Hold your management to some standard of class. Set realistic sales expectations.

"UNETHICAL AND UNPROFESSIONAL"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Diane's Beachwear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you simply need a job; then, Diane's is a short-term solution. If you like to work with new people constantly due to a very high turnover or demotions; then, Diane's is the place for you.

Cons

If you are seeking an organization that values people; then, Diane's is not the place for you. If you desire clear expectations with adult effective communications; then, Diane's is not the place for you. If you like to live a stress-free and chaos-free life; then, Diane's is not the place for you. If you like an organization that is fair and equitable, as well as treats employees with respect in a hostile-free environment; then, Diane's is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Get over yourself. You are not all that important. Do research and see the target audience for Arizona stores. Get registers/computers that are in the 21st century. Build your own clientele and pay people for what they do. Stop "illegally" changing commission to suit your selfish and unprofessional needs. Recognize that your greatest asset is your employee pool.

11. "Working at Diane's Swim wear"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Springs, CA

Pros

good training about customer service and growth in a company

Cons

uniforms change sometimes and are not flattering

Advice to Management

they were good leaders