Dice Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Melk

Pros
Cons
  • Department in Customer Service is super cliquey (in 4 reviews)

• Job board industry is in transition, can DHI evolve and stay relevant (in 3 reviews)

1. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Dice has really opened my eyes to how much someone can actually enjoy their job. I have worked across a variety of industries with a variety of companies and this is the first company I have seen invest so much into the growth and development of their employees. Here are a few great things about this place:

1. The People! I love the team I work with, and I get along well with those on other teams too. There are occasional hang ups between Sales & Support teams, but that is and will always be an age old struggle of service over profits. Any time there has been a perceived issue that can not be addressed by specific individuals we have a management team that is willing to step in and find a resolution. Said management team also is invested in the success of their employees, they listen and are genuinely involved in your personal and professional growth.

2. Benefits. We have a great PTO system, Health insurance, 401k match, etc. The kind of flexibility offered for parents, those dealing with health or family emergencies, in unparalleled to anything I have experienced or heard of elsewhere.

3. Opportunities for growth. If you want to make this place a career, and work your way up the ladder you have every opportunity. Even if you are happy in your current role, you have the option to take on different projects and become more involved through leadership mentoring, product testing, clubs, groups etc.

4. Casual work environment. I have held positions where a suit & tie or dress & heels is expected, and if you don't comply you are automatically an outcast. Dice embraces individuality and your allowed to express yourself (within reason!) with your personal style. You can absolutely dress up if that's what you like, or if you show up in jeans and a t-shirt no one will look twice either. It's about the quality of your work, not the quality of your closet and I love that.

Cons

Dice - or rather the parent company, DHI has been going through a lot of changes including divesting some branches and changing the management organization to focus on a tech-first initiative with more streamlined departments. As someone with a business background this makes sense, it's what needs to be done to let these brands & departments thrive. Unfortunately, some employees seem to think of this in a very negative "doomsday" manner, which really isn't the case and sheds negative light on the company, unduly so.

Instead of thinking about it in a negative way, they should consider that these brands are finally being let go in order to grow in their respective fields (oil, energy, health) and stop being held back by the needs of other branches they don't have something in common with. Dice is niche - it will stay niche in order to thrive at being the best.

In terms of management organization, we do have a lot of managers, but they each have important roles. The streamlining process has been taken on in order to help improve direct communication between low-mid- and top levels of management. While we are seeing some people leave, the company has given them an option to stay and re-define their prior roles. It is by choice that they are moving elsewhere.

So yes, there are some negative employees in the office, and yes, there are a lot of changes occurring within the company but guess what? That's business people! Get over it or move on to something else.

Advice to Management

Continue to touch base with employees and listen as well as address the concerns you hear about. You have been doing a great job leading us through this transition, but continue to hold people (at base level as well as management level) accountable for their behavior and initiatives assigned to them.

2. "Great company but not perfect"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros in no particular order (PTO is indeed my personal #1)

PTO! The best time off offering I know of.
    Good benefits (401k match, dental, vision, flex, HSA, medical, dependent care savings acct).
    The majority of the Urbandale office is pretty awesome. I cannot speak to other offices...
    HR- Transparent & they actually work for you and give a hoot.
    Huge fan of the ice machine!
    Flexible hours.
    Laid-back & casual work environment.
    Career growth opportunities.

Cons

Cons in no particular order

Internal help desk is slow.
    Sales uncertainty & unobtainable goals.
    The direction of the company is also a bit worrisome.
    The org chart doesn't make a whole lot of sense.. so many chiefs! Why?
    Pointless meetings (could be an email).
    Parking is getting tight.

Advice to Management

All 100 of you are doing a great job! jk.. I don't even know what most of you do?

"Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dice is a great company. Fellow employees don't know how good they have it.

We are a small company and everyone works hard to do there jobs. I've worked for huge companies with 10,000+ employees --where you are just a number.

At Dice you aren't just a number. It feels good to work on projects to help your team without being super micromanaged and being able to work directly with management with your feedback taken seriously by them. At other companies I've worked for you are there to do one thing your job and that's it then expect to get a raise at the end of the year by doing just that--and nothing else.

At Dice you have a chance to really prove yourself and how much of an asset you are to the team even if you aren't one building the website/working in IT--there's tons of stuff for you to do to help the business.

The company also has a great laid back feel, I'm able to wear t-shirts, jeans and flip-flops to work and feel comfortable in my own skin. Along with being super laid back they have a superb benefits package with a great amount of PTO, Health Insurance, 401K Match and awesome internal events. We work hard to play hard. This is one of the only companies I've worked for that I can truely say that I enjoy coming to work each day and conversing with my clients and co-workers. I leave in a good mood almost each day and look forward to coming back the next.

Cons

After working for the company for a while, I'd like to thank the management for trying to push the sales teams to work with and like the Customer Service/Customer Success teams. However, Sales is Sales and often sees anyone that's not putting there job on the line to help them or a client as a threat to the sale. There are internal processes that have to be followed and if we don't follow them we ourselves can be in trouble, and we are looked down on because sales thinks we aren't doing our jobs.

We are just doing what we have been told by management, also known as doing our jobs. Also, there has been a lot of turn over in my current department and sometimes it does get annoying when management treats you like a new employee instead of someone who has been there for a while, all I have to say is keep having trust in your employees and you'll get more out of them.

Over the last few years there has been a lot of change, (especially with upper management) and as some other reviews have said it's inevitable--after looking back on it, really it's helped me grow as a person. Sometimes the change doesn't make sense and sometimes I do get anxious when there are meetings called but for the most part it's really nothing that's a threat to my current job.

Advice to Management

Keep letting your employees do there jobs and work on projects without micromanaging. It makes them more confident and keeps them working hard.

4. "Overall a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dice is a great company to work for. Even though it is a publicly traded corporation, it has a small business feel. There is a lot of collaboration and upper management is seen often and open to listening to any feedback regarding the company. We have a great culture with a lot of fun work sponsored activities.

Cons

Change is inevitable, so you'll need to be comfortable with change. Sometimes that change doesn't always make sense but you won't be risking boredom here for sure.

5. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader in the space.
    Knows who their customer is and what the customer wants.

Cons

Needed a little better integration with Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS).

Advice to Management

Listen to the sales team, which is the "voice of the customer".

6. "Tech support"

Former Employee - RHI in Indianola, IA
    Former Employee - RHI in Indianola, IA

I worked at Dice (Less than a year)

Pros

People are very nice,helpful, knowledgeable,down to earth.

Cons

None, I was not there for long.

7. "Desktop Support"

Former Contractor - Desktop Support Technician in Columbia, MD
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support Technician in Columbia, MD

I worked at Dice as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working autonomously, lets people see changes after they have been made.

Cons

When changes needed to made, clients not liking the down time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your worker.

"Chill place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, very nice office in downtown San Jose, good benefits, decent PTO

Cons

They don't attract the best talent. Engineering process can be slow to release code depending on how many people are involved with a feature. They removed the master branch because one person kept forgetting to switch to development branch whenever he checked out a repository. Wtf.

Advice to Management

You need more than one staging server. You need a better continuous integration process - you can't just put everyone's work onto one branch, then push it to only one staging server, then find out right before release that one feature does not work.

"Good energy, collaborative, relaxed environment."

Current Contractor - Shared Services Contractor in Urbandale, IA
    Current Contractor - Shared Services Contractor in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I am enjoying my time at Dice. Functioning like a true tech company the atmosphere is relaxed and casual. If you prefer to wear jeans and a sweatshirt on Tuesday you can, if you like to wear dress pants you can do that too. A fun environment that seems like it encourages a happy, relaxed but productive work place.

Cons

All parts of the business (customer service, sales, marketing, tech service/repair etc) are laid out in chunks, sometimes it can be difficult for the individual units to work together or communicate.

"A good company, but struggling to find its place in a changing environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great brands, smart people to work with

Cons

Slow to make changes, particularly in Prodcut

Advice to Management

Find ways to move faster