Dice Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Bob Melk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is probably the best thing this company has to offer (in 9 reviews)

• Great people, awesome boss, very laid back, collaborative and so much more (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Job board industry is in transition, can DHI evolve and stay relevant (in 3 reviews)

• Incredibly slow to market with new products (in 3 reviews)

1. "Overall positive experience and people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Dice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Company was growing and I joined at a time of a management shift from the old guard to the new guard. It was a great learning opportunity for me to be a part of the changes in people, process and overall way the company expanded in CA

Cons

*Compared to other companies the benefits and perks were below avg. We had no food, the office was built out slow and then moved to a nice/new building but it still lagged the area.

Advice to Management

*Time to sell to private equity. Stock is low and the market is just too crowded. There is no innovation happening in the "job" space.

2. "Could be better"

I worked at Dice full-time

Pros

Great team and location

Cons

Last creativity and innovation

Advice to Management

Work on how to build a better environment to work in, update the technology and modernise

3. "Great Co-workers, Need to Innovate"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at this company make it a great place to work. Teams work hard, support each other and care about the company's future.

Customer support is ranked high (as it should be) and the teams consistently strive to improve customer experience

Cons

Delays in innovation, and following the shifts in the marketplace have made it difficult to stay on top of the competition.

Changes in sales leadership have made direction and plans unclear

Advice to Management

Identify the marketplace needs and improve time to market for new products

"Need to Re-Invent The Company"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Dice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some really talented and self-motivated people at Dice, including some that have been in the company for 10+ years.

Dice is (or can be) a unique product for the right people.

Pay is pretty decent, benefits need some work.

Cons

Bottom Line: the story of the last four years has been a story of abject and utter failure in company leadership to create a sustainable product selection and sustainable culture.

Four years ago, the entire product, sales and engineering teams were upended by splitting the company between offices in San Jose and Iowa. Since then, the engineering teams have been stuck in the mud, turnover in the product organization has lead to no consistent direction and we've re-orged sales and marketing so many times that we have no consistent message to customers.

Since then, we have purchased a number of companies for some pretty big prices for little to no benefit. We're now selling - or shutting down - all of these brands just to be where we were four or five years ago. The only difference is that our main split seems to have switched from San Jose / Iowa to Denver / Iowa - while repeating this cycle of promising "this time will be different".

This time, though, our new product / engineering teams based in Denver are basically leftover from the OTJ acquisition - and many of them are so new that they have no concept of what the story is we try to tell customers, and they are stuck peddling the same ideas that they have either made no difference in the overall strategy of the company, or have been years in the making with no apparent benefit. I'd like to think that some of the things on all of these branded slides will turn things around, but a company whose stock is under $2 / share does not have years to fund empty promises and endless all-hands slide decks.

In the meantime. the people that we should be building around keep chugging on: I don't know how or why some of the really smart and productive people stick with this company. They must be getting paid well.

Advice to Management

It's time to go. The past four years and the strategic acquisitions have all failed. If our board is halfway interested in saving this company as an ongoing concern. there needs to be a fresh look at selling the company or completely replacing corporate and strategic leadership from the VP level up. The market has noticed that we are on a bad trajectory, we can only hope that there are investors remaining who are motivated enough to make something of what is left of the company.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, People, Work Environment, Income

Cons

Tough Industry; Challenging, Changing Market,

Advice to Management

This is still a very solid company with an overall great base of people throughout the organization. There have been some culture and attitude issues within the company that for the most part are no longer with the company and the difference in positivity is already apparent. The people here want to win and the changes in place to make that happen are starting to happen.

"Shut the doors and move on"

I worked at Dice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work attire and some truly talented individual contributors.

Cons

Post-reorg existing leadership has absolutely no idea what it's doing from the top down. The people that know how to fix things are silenced or being driven out of the company.

Sales changes leaders like a bar jukebox changes songs. Performance has been terrible and engineering hasn't released any new products for them to sell.

Engineering is poorly managed by the Denver office where decisions are made without any input by other teams. Engineering hasn't developed a new worthwhile product in ages and can't meet a release / roadmap deadline to save their life. The mobile team no longer exists, explaining the decline in the mobile app.

You'll go far in marketing so long as leadership likes you. If you're a hardworking independent person, look elsewhere. New leadership has siloed the department to the point that great individual contributors now keep their mouths shut and heads down while the most vocal employees are the ones that contribute the least.

The new product team wants control of the entire company even though no one on product has been with the core company over 1 year and is unwilling to work with other departments fostering hostile working conditions for many employees

Customer support is well run and has great contributors but leadership favors office politics and company decline has widespread affect on morale.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. Sack most of the current VPs. Let people who actually know what they are doing run the company.

"Terrible Leadership and Culture"

I worked at Dice full-time

Pros

Some people have been there for a while, and if you're in their club and they like you then great.

Cons

I've had a few different jobs and this is the absolute worst culture of any. People are very cut-throat and only look to tear each other down to make themselves look better. In the few months I was there, they had extremely high turnover, which was very obvious why. They also won't give firing a second thought. DICE is a dying company, and it comes through in their culture.

"Work at your own risk"

I worked at Dice full-time

Pros

Free snacks/drinks. Sometimes they order catered lunches.
    People can be nice to one another.
    Work/Life balance is probably the best thing this company has to offer.

Cons

-Some people on higher up are out of touch with their employees.
    -Some people are underpaid for their work.
    -Some people are overworked, making them not as likely to interact with their coworkers.
    -They play favorites, allowing those they favor to advance in the company while the other employees continue to work at their current position even though they expressed interest in moving up in the company.
    -Sometimes they discharge people who have potential to make an impact within Dice, while they keep people around who don't treat their coworkers well at times.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees, regardless of their level of seniority, not as worker bees but as employees who care about making a difference at your company. All employees are at Dice for a reason. They care about making a difference at your company, so they deserve some respect, no matter how small of a contribution that they make.
    Don't overwork them, and you'll be more likely to keep your employees around.
    Also listening to your employees and being specific on ANY feedback can make a difference between keeping these employees for a while longer and losing their employees to other companies that can treat them better.

9. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, awesome boss, very laid back, collaborative and so much more!

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

10. "Moving forward!"

I have been working at Dice full-time

Pros

Awesome company taking the right steps to improve the business, products and culture. Great co-workers, excellent benefits/vacation package.

Cons

Need to improve communication across the business.

Advice to Management

Things are moving in the right direction, still need to address communication issues across the business.