Dick Blick Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Buchsbaum

Pros
  • Discounts on Art Supplies: 30% for regularly priced store items, 40% for Blick branded items (in 14 reviews)

• The employee discount isn't so bad either (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, but goes with cost of living for area (in 7 reviews)

• Poor decision making in corporate/upper management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Blick Key Holder"

Current Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Key Holder in New York, NY

I have been working at Dick Blick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working for Blick, the thing that I have come to appreciate the most is the people I have worked with. They are thorough in the hiring process and there for have incredible staff. It can be an extremely job as well working with so many materials, as well as the information learned from customers.

Cons

My biggest complaint would have to be compensation. It is understandable that sales associates make minimum wage or slightly above, but management staff is under compensated. Being so strenuous in the hiring process it can be difficult to move up into management. This is also made more difficult by the fact that corporate can be difficult to reach and tend to not be interested in helping the management.

2. "great work ethic"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Dick Blick part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly good pay good discount

Cons

only bad thing is the shifts are small

3. "Nope"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun to be around art supplies
    - a relatively easy job
    - a ridiculous policy regarding tardiness

Cons

- Exploitative
    - the pay is very low
    - Customers act in really entitled ways that isn't as common in other retail jobs
    - understaffed

5. "Deceptive Job Advertising"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Dick Blick part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like being broke this is the job for you.

Cons

Horrible hours, erratic and short shifts. You work 5-6 days a week for 3-4 hours per shift. So you have to wake up and go to work for a maximum of $40 a day. No consecutive days off, no actual weekend. If you make $900 a month you're lucky and the management will treat you like they've given you gold. Bad management, poor work ethics, heavy favoritism, if you're a hard worker with any human qualities you'll hate working here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the favoritism, give employees enough hours to be able to feed themselves. Don't treat the associates like trash.

"Would stay here forever except..."

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dick Blick full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company attracts great people to work with. Also is flexible with location options: corporate office, remote downtown office and work from home options. Great work life balance.

Cons

Major issues staying competitive with salary and benefit practices (health, vacation, etc). Also seems limited in its ability to keep up with technology changes. Not sure of long term growth options.

Advice to Management

Get competitive with salary or you will end up losing strong talent that would otherwise be loyal long term.

7. "No twinkle in the eye"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/StockRoom in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/StockRoom in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get the chance to be around all kinds of amazing artist! You also have the chance to meet some people amazing customers that is in the art community.

Cons

When I first started I relished the opportunity to be in the art community. I was a customer and I experienced amazing customer service as a new artist. I thought hey this will be a great place to work? Well maybe I just came at the right time because it is not a great place to work! You are a stock associate that has some cashier duties. If you do meet somebody and you are trying to deliver that good customer service the manager will stress you to discontinue your conversation. I know that it is work but unlike working at other jobs customer service is key for art. The pay is horrible and you will for sure be a starving artist unless you are a lead or part of management. There is a 3 month probationary period and I solute those who can make it past that. Your schedule can be unpredictable and you will not get a decent heads up when they decrease your hours. If you are not staying with your parents I would not recommend working here. The perks are almost non existent they have a web matching system where the customers receive a better discount than you the associate. If you are looking for culture you will not find it here. If you have heavy student loans from your art school this job will not pay you enough.
    If this is your first job or a student this may be a good fit. For those that are a little bit more seasoned stay away.

Advice to Management

Please connect with the art community, and establish more of social culture. Give associates a heads up on schedule changes. Give a deeper discount adding additional over the sale price.
    People will stay if they are Happy and there will not be such a high turnover rate. Apply better training so employees are well knowledgeable about ceramics, oil paints, printmaking etc.
    Improve your online presence, your becoming outdated.
    When upper management treat everybody with respect it goes a long way.
    Relax on all the rules give longer breaks have a store and company party monthly.

8. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Dick Blick (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very pleasant work environment. Great people to work with.

Cons

The pay is the only reason why I left. If the pay was a little more on par with similar jobs I would still be there. :)

9. "Blick..."

Former Employee - Shipper/Receiver in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shipper/Receiver in New York, NY

I worked at Dick Blick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discounts on all store products are fairly good, which is helpful. Pretty cool work environment to learn about different art mediums.

Cons

Not a lot of room for development and promotion. The management choices for the stores is very questionable and doesn't seem like there is a thorough interview process that takes place when hiring these people to run a business and employees.

10. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on Art Supplies: 30% for regularly priced store items, 40% for Blick branded items. Around artists all the time.

Cons

It was actually pretty alright, same cons as with most retail jobs: Sort of a ridged schedule, low pay, the feeling as if you'll be stuck doing this the rest of your life..

Advice to Management

The manager I had is no longer there, but I would just say to remember that it can be a fun experience for the employees, and that there should be a greater focus on education about products and push the right thing for the customer rather than the special item of the day.

11. "Lead associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I worked at Dick Blick full-time

Pros

You learn a lot and the employees are a ton of fun. I made some lasting friendships at blick.

Cons

The pay is terrible because 20 other starving artists are waiting to replace you.