Dierbergs Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Greg Dierberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • union dues are a little high for the salary (in 14 reviews)

• Full time opportunities are becoming harder to get (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great employer!"

I worked at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

Enjoyable work environment, flexible work hours while in school

Cons

Somewhat low pay, hard to advance

2. "Dierberg's"

Former Employee - Cashier in Manchester, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Manchester, MO

I worked at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, got along with most if not all. Great work-life balance, incredibly easy to call of and would more than likely get that day off. Management was alright. Store is very aesthetically pleasing. If I could go back, I would. (I left for wal-mart and they would not give me time to leave a notice so I am ineligible).

Cons

The cashier's terminal machines are below where they should be (functioning wise) and they kept adding on more features which created more bugs that they never got fixed.

Advice to Management

Invest more in those terminals. During my time there it made my job quit difficult. I managed some tricks to get around them but there are times where it freezes and greatly holds up the line.

3. "Grocery"

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

Generally flexible in working with your availability; not an overly stressful working environment (retail in general tends to be stressful, especially holidays)

Cons

Union dues; there's an arbitrary 'merit raise' store directors can confer in employees which seems inequitable, particularly if you're not in the inner circle of favoritism/club clique atmosphere where in which unspoken privileges are accorded and the skids for upward mobility are greased for you; not competitive pay, relative to other retail/grocers, which gives little, if any, incentive for new employees to stay. Dierbergs is great at extending responsibilities on you under the guise of 'diverse /variety of work' with zero pay compensation as if they're doing you a favor which does nothing but compound your stress (a pat on the back and $1 scratch card is insulting, frankly, and doesn't cut it); make no mistake, nepotism reigns, especially in career advancement, and if you work hard yet they simply don't like you, they drag their feet in following through after the cdc/interviews as if being passive aggressive in hoping you'll simply give up trying to follow through and see why no progress has been made with your advancement interest. If they like you and/or know the right folks with the right last names, it's a move-to-the-head-of-the-line game, regardless of merit. Yes, regardless of merit. If Dierbergs doesn't reassess their out-moded employment model, the pension fund will not be solvent in near future ( how can it when it's a revolving door of part-time help at $8.50hr?) , and/or Dierbergs will sell to the highest bidder as any clear, reflective individual can see you simply cannot run a business like you are currently doing and expect it to be a viable competitor in the near future. Unless you want to grow a tie out of your neck and play the pecking order game of 'pick me, pick me', the days of making a career in grocery, at least at Dierbergs, are long gone.

Advice to Management

Actually incorporate real-world experience into the data you input into KRONOS (or whatever the scheduling program is) and don't simply say "well, the computer said we need 'X'"(I realize that's somewhat out of your control, especially when corporate wants you to cut hours/dollar per man hour); Dierbergs is expensive, in part, because of customer serivice, and if you spread your help out so thin and are constantly having to take other employees out of other departments to help check, etc;, that's not building overall morale, and exuding customer service, because in large measure customers end up bagging their own groceries and wondering why 8 checklanes are empty and only 2 cashiers are working when there are lines.

4. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Ellisville, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ellisville, MO

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Paid weekly. Mostly nice people to work with.

Cons

Union wages. No incentive for exceptional workers; everyone paid the same based on number of hours worked. Nearly impossible to get on full time. Company keeps shifting managers from store to store so no continuity in staff.

Advice to Management

When you get a store running well and a good mix of managers, leave it alone. Stop transferring your managers far from home and making them unhappy.

5. "Starbuck's Assistant Manager"

I worked at Dierbergs Markets full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Good for someone who isn't family oriented. great hours for someone who needs just part time.

Cons

Lack of knowledge or training for employees, unless you are full time(most aren't) the number of hours that are available to work are typically 20 or less. Two managers one needs to be scheduled at all times. Can make for a really long day if.

Advice to Management

Train all the same way so that it makes it easier to understand expectations and both managers are on the same page.

6. "Definitely look at the pros and cons before applying."

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

Most of the people are amazing
    Customers are mostly very nice
    Flexible scheduling
    Managers are always willing to help

Cons

Some of the workers at the location I work at are very lazy and/or rude
    Starting pay is too low, especially factoring in union dues
    Some employees appear to have inadequate training
    Hard to move up

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but ensure that associates are doing the work and are treating their peers with respect just like they treat customers, and ensure that associates being trained are receiving adequate training so their transition is smooth.

7. "A rather disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for a grocery store job

Cons

Very dishonest towards their employees.

Advice to Management

Be more honest towards employees

8. "Cashier"

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

They work with you, and are flexible in hours

Cons

None That I can think of. I enjoy my job.

9. "Working there"

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

You meet a lot of great people

Cons

Hours need some attention
    Pay could be better for what we do

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

Positive friendly environment, supportive management

Cons

low pay, don't offer full time often