Dierbergs Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Greg Dierberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible hours made it great while working through school" (in 11 reviews)

• "Flexible Schedule, very easy work, leniency" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "union dues are a little high for the salary" (in 15 reviews)

• "Full time opportunities are becoming harder to get" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pharmacy managers and pharmacists were wonderful collegues. College casual program is a huge plus.

Cons

Pharmacy personnel have to stand for extended periods of time

2. "Decent experience overall"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Sanitation
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Sanitation

I worked at Dierbergs Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, relatively easy work, generally positive atmosphere

Cons

Higher management was incompetent at times and made it a difficult work environment.

3. "poor managenment"

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

do not work there terrible

Cons

they use u will work u to u drop also biggest back stappers of fellow employess
    they will talk and bad mouth snitch on you just can not trust no one there all for them selves

Advice to Management

pay people and dont be phony

"Looking for a new job now. Better pay for the same work isnt hard to find."

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at my store were friendly, even the managers. I've made some good friends. Scheduling is flexible.

Cons

You get paid terrible wages for tiring work. I was a bagger at first, and that job is physically exhausting, with a starting wage of only 7.95. Now as a cashier I still make very low wages (8.50) and I still come home wrecked half the time. I mean I'm all for doing hard work, but only for a living wage. The union is limp and only really benefits full time employees, an extreme minority despite how many employees would like more hours.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees as people. The doesn't just mean be nice to them, or give them free food every few months, or give them 10 dollar gift cards a Christmas bonus. That means give them living wages for their time and energy. These people are trapped in this industry and you're stealing their lives while the Dierberg family enjoys a wealthy, cushy lifestyle. A ton of people have left my store in just the past week, including myself hopefully.

"Ok but very negative"

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets full-time

Pros

Decent ability to switch around schedule if need be.

Cons

Sometimes you might have to work 7 days in a row because management doesn't pay attention to your previous weeks schedule when writing the new one. Very negative older employees that complain all shift and talk bad about each other behind each others backs all shift.

Advice to Management

Put focus on assignments of employees for shifts. Have two working on a task that has to be done by the end of the days while others are on the main line....this everyone just jumps back and forth randomly crap creates confusion and deglates work they were trying to finish in the first place. I've worked at places that organized that kind of situation before that made things much more efficient.

"Company needs work"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cook in Wildwood, MO
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cook in Wildwood, MO

I worked at Dierbergs Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent full time pay; small discounts

Cons

Some older employees are negative or make rude comments, which makes for a toxic work environment; some coworkers just stood around and talked and didn’t take initiative; lack of diversity; unorganized

Advice to Management

Filter out negative employees; add more diversity and age range to staff. Cross train employees

"Dierberg's"

Former Employee - Cashier in Manchester, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Manchester, MO

I worked at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, got along with most if not all. Great work-life balance, incredibly easy to call of and would more than likely get that day off. Management was alright. Store is very aesthetically pleasing. If I could go back, I would. (I left for wal-mart and they would not give me time to leave a notice so I am ineligible).

Cons

The cashier's terminal machines are below where they should be (functioning wise) and they kept adding on more features which created more bugs that they never got fixed.

Advice to Management

Invest more in those terminals. During my time there it made my job quit difficult. I managed some tricks to get around them but there are times where it freezes and greatly holds up the line.

"Grocery"

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

Generally flexible in working with your availability; not an overly stressful working environment (retail in general tends to be stressful, especially holidays)

Cons

Union dues; there's an arbitrary 'merit raise' store directors can confer in employees which seems inequitable, particularly if you're not in the inner circle of favoritism/club clique atmosphere where in which unspoken privileges are accorded and the skids for upward mobility are greased for you; not competitive pay, relative to other retail/grocers, which gives little, if any, incentive for new employees to stay. Dierbergs is great at extending responsibilities on you under the guise of 'diverse /variety of work' with zero pay compensation as if they're doing you a favor which does nothing but compound your stress (a pat on the back and $1 scratch card is insulting, frankly, and doesn't cut it); make no mistake, nepotism reigns, especially in career advancement, and if you work hard yet they simply don't like you, they drag their feet in following through after the cdc/interviews as if being passive aggressive in hoping you'll simply give up trying to follow through and see why no progress has been made with your advancement interest. If they like you and/or know the right folks with the right last names, it's a move-to-the-head-of-the-line game, regardless of merit. Yes, regardless of merit. If Dierbergs doesn't reassess their out-moded employment model, the pension fund will not be solvent in near future ( how can it when it's a revolving door of part-time help at $8.50hr?) , and/or Dierbergs will sell to the highest bidder as any clear, reflective individual can see you simply cannot run a business like you are currently doing and expect it to be a viable competitor in the near future. Unless you want to grow a tie out of your neck and play the pecking order game of 'pick me, pick me', the days of making a career in grocery, at least at Dierbergs, are long gone.

Advice to Management

Actually incorporate real-world experience into the data you input into KRONOS (or whatever the scheduling program is) and don't simply say "well, the computer said we need 'X'"(I realize that's somewhat out of your control, especially when corporate wants you to cut hours/dollar per man hour); Dierbergs is expensive, in part, because of customer serivice, and if you spread your help out so thin and are constantly having to take other employees out of other departments to help check, etc;, that's not building overall morale, and exuding customer service, because in large measure customers end up bagging their own groceries and wondering why 8 checklanes are empty and only 2 cashiers are working when there are lines.

9. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Ellisville, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ellisville, MO

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Paid weekly. Mostly nice people to work with.

Cons

Union wages. No incentive for exceptional workers; everyone paid the same based on number of hours worked. Nearly impossible to get on full time. Company keeps shifting managers from store to store so no continuity in staff.

Advice to Management

When you get a store running well and a good mix of managers, leave it alone. Stop transferring your managers far from home and making them unhappy.

"Definitely look at the pros and cons before applying."

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

Most of the people are amazing
    Customers are mostly very nice
    Flexible scheduling
    Managers are always willing to help

Cons

Some of the workers at the location I work at are very lazy and/or rude
    Starting pay is too low, especially factoring in union dues
    Some employees appear to have inadequate training
    Hard to move up

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but ensure that associates are doing the work and are treating their peers with respect just like they treat customers, and ensure that associates being trained are receiving adequate training so their transition is smooth.