Dierbergs Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Dierbergs Markets Reviews

Updated December 3, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • union dues are a little high for the salary (in 13 reviews)

• low pay, don't offer full time often (in 11 reviews)

"Deli Clerk"

I worked at Dierbergs Markets part-time

Pros

Great customers, you will meet different people. Ok pay for 1st job. Good benefits if full time.

Cons

Bad managers, talk to you any way they want. Do way more that job description, have to take up slack of other worker. A lot!!

Advice to Management

Step up and be nice to your employees.

2. "Dierbergs"

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

low pay, no benefits, holiday hours.

"Over Worked, under paid and not appreciated"

Current Employee - Centre Design in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Centre Design in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I enjoy working with flowers and creative people.
     Health insurance they provide is a wonderful benefit for people who have worked here for a length of time.

Cons

People working here are unhappy. I've heard the term sweat shop used to describe the work conditions. The building is filthy, full of mold. We haven't had our floors cleaned in over three months. Complaints about this are ignored which tells me they don't care about the well being of the workers.

We are under staffed. They expect 10 hours of work in 8hrs. They can't find skilled workers because they aren't willing to pay more than the minimum. They don't utilize the workers they do have in a very effective way.
    We have an aging work force so people are constantly out on sick leave. The workers who are reliable, available and willing to work aren't valued and our hours are cut to bare minimum which is very stressful. It seems that the workers who schmooze upper management fare much better and are appreciated more than the hard workers. Everyone sees it, talks about it and it and is one reason morale is so low. My work area is so tight and cramped I feel like I'm working in a cage. Thankfully the bars are flowers.

Advice to Management

Since the people running the facility have no floral experience it might help if you worked more closely with the people here who actually know the industry well. I'm sure the floral buyer, master designers, former flower shop owners who work here would love to brain storm with the corporate number crunchers in the office to solve some of the looming problems and grow the business. Instead you are constantly down sizing cutting corners and not changing what you are doing at all. You should listen more closely to the employees suggestions.
     Finally, the Dierbergs web site is poorly constructed and maintained which make our jobs more difficult.

4. "The company completely changed when it was time to renew the union contract in 2014."

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Hot Food Available for lunch (for purchase)

Cons

Salary, Low Hours per week, Stuck on Seniority
    I put in a request in December 2013 to have my birthday weekend off (July 2014) and was forced to use vacation hours because someone with higher seniority requested the same weekend off only weeks before the actual day.

"Company can be more forward thinking"

Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Accounting in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Dierbergs Markets full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary was fair in my opinion

Cons

Work environment is not very welcoming

"Maintenance"

Current Employee - Maintenance
    Current Employee - Maintenance

I have been working at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job as a teenager. Plenty of room to grow. Everybody is friendly. You get paid weekly. It's an awesome place to work in general.

Cons

Barely trained, I had to learn as I went. The starting pay after union dues is below minimum wage, that's not cool. Store managers nag on you for walking from point A to point B, and accuse you of not doing your job even though it's a requirement. Some managers will even nonchalantly disrespect you: "Oh yeah, clean that real nice". Co-workers of this department try to pin all of their wrongdoings on each other. I'm very sorry I got into this job.

Advice to Management

This department needs to be reformed big time. I thought working fast-food was bad.

"Maintenance"

Pros

It is a paying job

Cons

The employees are overworked and under paid

Advice to Management

After union dues, starting pat is less than minimum wage.

"Was not ever appreciated for my hard work, wasn't paid fairly, and felt over-worked."

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk, Salad Bar in Manchester, MO
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk, Salad Bar in Manchester, MO

I worked at Dierbergs Markets part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are very flexible about scheduling around other commitments (school, vacations, etc). It was a very good first job to have as a high school student.

Cons

Although their starting pay is above minimum wage, once they take the union dues out of your paycheck, you're making LESS than minimum wage. The union doesn't do anything for part-time workers, so it felt like such a waste of my time and money. Over the course of my three years working there, I was only given a total of 30 cents in raises. They don't appreciate their employees for the hard work they do, and lazy employees aren't reprimanded for not pulling their weight. Their standards are very low, and I often felt very used. They started watching their employees like hawks while I was working there...if you didn't greet every single customer you encountered, you'd get written up. Many employees feared their jobs because of it. Overall, the company seemed to care more about making money than having a good environment to work and shop in.

Advice to Management

It would've been nice as an employee to feel a little more appreciated.

"A downhill progression."

Former Employee - Lead Assistant Deli Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Lead Assistant Deli Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling: You can ask off for any day of the week and sometimes weekends too with little problem. Union benefits. Generally, very easy work. Ability to earn decent money if you start young and get promoted quickly. A friendly environment between co-workers.

Cons

Poor corporate management that tries to operate a large company on a small business model. Labor cuts that make goals unattainable. Unable to get promotions based on performance. Little recognition for jobs well done. Constantly introducing new programs that have not been tested or researched enough to be successful. Labor intensive.

Advice to Management

1.Take the focus back to quality and service. More workers = a better product and more people to give the "Extra Step" customer service you're so fond of. 2. Remember to get input from your management team before introducing new programs.

"Management claims can't give raises because of poor business climate, but Greg Dierberg builds $14 million house."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

It isn't quite minimum wage. Most jobs have decent working conditions.

Cons

Unions are needed because management doesn't respect employees. If it wasn't for the unions, you get the impression management would pay as little as they could get by with. Contracts are coming up again and rumor is that employees are going to be asked to take another hit.

Advice to Management

The employees are your bread and butter. Give them a living wage, and stop cutting medical benefits.