Digital Map Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Skurzynski

1. "Great company with strong products and support"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at Digital Map Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DMP is strong on culture and team work. The majority of the people have been on board for years. Management is very open minded, and HR has your back. It's not often that the CEO or other C level executives join routine calls or offer to help, but the do at DMP. Company is in a growth mode so the upside regarding growth and future opportunities are endless.

Cons

Small issues that aren't worth talking about.

Advice to Management

Keep up the interaction and open dialogue with staff. Much appreciated!

2. "fast growing company, nice work environment"

Current Employee - Data CS Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Data CS Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Digital Map Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment. Flexible work schedule. Executives like to share information with every employee and care about people which makes me feel like this company is a big family.
    There is a lot to learn and space to develop yourself here. I've been here for one year. Supervisors acknowledge my effort at work and gave me a promotion recently. I am happy with all the opportunities I can have at DMP!

Cons

Need some more healthier snacks instead of chocolate...

Advice to Management

DMP is a fast growing company. We need to work together to create some more standard process.

3. "Even Better Than Expected!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Digital Map Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's been 4 weeks - yes it's early - but we learn a lot early about a new company when the shift from "interview candidate" to "new employee" happens. As we start to meet the team, from top to bottom and begin engaging with the immediate tasks and priorities, there's a second impression. And with Digital Map Products, that second impression has been excellent. In my first few weeks, I met with over 35 employees via introductory meetings across every department. The people I met, the engagement I witnessed and the talent level made me feel great about the decision I made to join the company.

Cons

The layout of the company's office space is different than what I'm used to (vs. an open environment) so it requires a more thoughtful movement around the office to find and engage with team members. But I think that's actually a positive - employees have the privacy they need to work effectively and without too much interruption.

Advice to Management

Continue to appreciate the people working for and with you. Remain engaged in their success and allow them to grow into their roles.

"Cutting Edge Technology"

Current Employee - Engineering Management in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Management in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Digital Map Products (More than 10 years)

Pros

DMP really allocates time to true research and development, constantly looking at ways to improve the user experience and and push the envelope on performance. Particularly if you are challenged by tough problems and want to work to with some of the latest technology out there, this is a great place to work:
     - advanced Javascript, React + Redux
     - Node.js
     - MongoDB / MySQL / SQLServer
     - Microservices ( Docker containers + Service Fabric + Kubernetes)
     - Advanced Spatial technology (Preference Stack, Streaming Feature Layers, Analysis Engine)

Pays to Market
    Work Life Balance
    Great group of smart folks, that really get on well together
    Fun Committee - group of employees that organize company sponsored fun events

Cons

Still a small company, (50 to 100?) have been growing fast recently and can be somewhat disorganized at times. Still need to get some processes down.

Advice to Management

Take the time to formalize processes, including employee onboarding, and have clearer roles and responsibilities.

"Good but needs some polish"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Digital Map Products (More than a year)

Pros

- Really cool niche with interesting and fun challenges
    - For the most part, great work life balance
    - Competitive salaries, pretty good insurance policies
    - Positive work environment, vast majority of employees are quite nice and very easy to get a long with. Casual, but not too casual atmosphere
    - Vast majority of employees are intelligent and motivated
    - Growing company and growing market
    - Recent increase in fun activities during and after hours for employees

Cons

- No review process whatsoever, formal or informal. Employees have been asking for this since I started working here
    - Lack of real on-boarding
    - Depending on the department, little room for vertical movement. Limited middle-management positions as most employees answer directly to department heads.
    - No 401k matching
    - Decisions in each department are made in isolation. Sales, Product, Engineering, Customer Success, etc. aren't transparent/communicative enough with each other and result in decisions being made without complete information
    - Roles often unclear (common for smaller companies), little transfer of knowledge when roles change. Can result in very disproportionate amounts of responsibilities for some employees

Advice to Management

Need to address some of the control issues from department heads and implement some sort of management system. Department heads trying to one-up or prove themselves to the rest of the company causes problems for everyone.

Do not be afraid to say no to clients swinging around some money. Many big side projects have ended in failure or lost money when we halfheartedly branch out from our primary market.

7. "11 years at Digital Map Products"

Current Employee - Vice President of Residential Real Estate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Digital Map Products (More than 10 years)

Pros

Companies willingness to work closely with their client base making sure they are getting good value for the service provided

Cons

Ironically the "Con" is providing additional Data Sets. Digital Map has high retention with their clients and they want additional Data thru Digital Map and have Digital Map become their companies "one stop shop"

Advice to Management

Digital Map management are good listeners and are hiring additional engineers to facilitate the continued growth.

"Minimum upside"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Digital Map Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company environment. Interesting technology.

Cons

Lacks strong vision by ownership. Niche market with limited upside

Advice to Management

Need to bring in a stronger CEO who can take the company to the next level.

"Egalitarian facade, authoritarian management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Irvine, CA

I worked at Digital Map Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, adequate pay, excellent office layout, reasonable hours and work-life balance. Diversity in hiring. Work-sponsored training.

Cons

High turnover environment, except for a group of long-time employees. Not secure. Management appears to solicit involvement, but does not share much about long-term goals. Short-term goals are frequently changed, leading to wasted effort for abandoned projects (which may be taken up again later at a future change of direction). Scrum meetings are all run by the same manager, not group members. Usually opinions voiced by anyone else don't count.
    A colleague says that he gets by with a policy of passive aggression.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and encourage feedback. You know a lot, but you don't know everything.

10. "Good company to work. Really good work life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Irvine, CA

Pros

Work life balance.
    Seldom have to work after office hours.
    Lot of things to do and variety of tasks in engineering.

Cons

Pay is not up to industry standard.
    No 401K match.
    No yearly bonuses at least in engineering

11. "Great company and great opportunity to learn"

Current Employee - Low Level Management in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Low Level Management in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Digital Map Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a modern company using the latest cloud technology and development strategies (DevOps and Agile). It is a challenging, fast paced environment and provides the opportunity to learn new skills. I enjoy the working atmosphere and flexibility given to its employees. They have an excellent group of hard working people and provide great benefits.

Cons

It is a growing company and sometimes it's hard to get everything done that needs to get done.

Advice to Management

Continue with team building