Digital Media Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Phil Gibson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working with kids who are motivated to learn is always fun to see and have (in 3 reviews)

• Great pay, good atmosphere, challenging work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Working with kids requires a lot of patience, so you really have to love it, but that is just something that comes with working at summer camps (in 2 reviews)

• Sometimes the required materials were not available or dysfunctional, but I guess you can't really blame the latter on them (in 2 reviews)

"A great learning experience!"

Former Employee - Instructor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Cambridge, MA

Pros

As a young adult, there was no better way to learn a lot and make a lot of money! Our class sizes were good and the experience was incredibly rewarding. As a 20 year old, I made $1350 a week to teach! What an opportunity!

Cons

Sometimes you had to do your own IT, but you don't end up complaining because of the pay. I feel like they would rather just pay their teachers more and have them handle the IT.

2. "Great Company to work for!"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Great coworkers and support. You have many different hats to wear which I love. Everyone supports everyone it truly is a family.

Cons

Seasonal work not year round.

Advice to Management

Should have hired me ;)

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Digital Media Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is strong support from supervisors, a great atmosphere, and the great pay for the job. They are also generous with their expense compensations.

Cons

Sometimes the curriculum doesn't make sense, and each location is drastically different from the others. Cannot work here year round due to the seasonal nature.

Advice to Management

A greater effort should be put towards ensuring that each location has a certain set of standards they have to adhere to. One location I taught at was amazing, while the other was lackluster in all respects.

Digital Media Academy Response

Sep 21, 2015 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! Please make sure to include your responses in our end of the summer Employee Survey that went out today.

4. "Summer Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Stanford, CA

Pros

- Free housing
    - Free meals
    - Great team
    - Possibility of auditing classes
    - Lots of fun

Cons

- Long hours
    - Go to sleep tired
    - Kids can be a handful at times
    - Unexpected problems might arise

5. "Good time as Summer Camp Counselor"

Former Employee - Summer Overnight Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - Summer Overnight Camp Counselor

I worked at Digital Media Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly; room and board provided (every day at my location); paid overtime if child stays during the weekend; sometimes weekly bonuses in the form of gift cards; great staff!

A friend let me know about this opportunity and I worked the summer after graduating from college. It was great to travel to a new city and meet new people while working an interesting job.

Cons

questionaire seems a bit long, but depends on how much you would care to elaborate

6. "Instructor"

I have been working at Digital Media Academy full-time

Pros

Great fun environment. Expect to talk to a lot of parents and meet a wide variety of people. Corporate is great and learned a lot working here

Cons

During open house on fridays, things can get a little stressful but it is manageable if you understand what you are doing and know how to socialize with adults.

7. "Fantastic Camp to Work At"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at Digital Media Academy (More than a year)

Pros

Very accommodating directors, good pay for a camp, felt appreciated

Cons

None other than it not being as good long term as a non-camp technical position.

8. "Amazing"

Pros

It is an amazing place to work.

Cons

There are not many cons!

9. "Great people, hard work"

Pros

Work hours give you the day time off. Support system is the best I've ever had from an employer. Very communicative between every day support staff (TAs, over night counselors, etc.) and all directors. Friday check out, my immediate director was always happy to provide us with coffee, paid for by DMA. Budget per kid and per counselor is generous.

Cons

A sense of animosity between day time and night time staff. I was working overnight once and had to remain downstairs to supervise over night kids while daytime staff was cleaning up and felt negative attention directed towards me. Day time staff often takes advantage of overnight staff, including taking food provided for in our overnight budget as well as breaking some rules, including entering residential area of building that were only supposed to be occupied by overnight staff and students, this was a continuous problem.

Advice to Management

Thank you so much for all of your amazing support. Please make sure day time staff are well aware of their limitations, as even after being spoken to several times they still were taking food from overnight budget and fridges as well as entering residential areas that were well posted as do not enter.

10. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Digital Media Academy full-time

Pros

Ton's of great and supportive people who are passionate in their work. Decent compensation for the work put in.

Cons

Constant changes in the season role can be a bit shaking at first due to the amount of people in transition to their jobs

Advice to Management

Remember to always prioritize on the experience of the students we serve. With good service and product will come great growth.