Digital Media Academy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Phil Gibson

Pros
  • Lots of great people to work with - understanding and flexible as well, making it easy to get things done even if you can't make it to work (in 4 reviews)

• Added plus is the attention given to staff appreciation (you can get free meals/snacks), even though most are temporary staff (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Working with kids requires a lot of patience, so you really have to love it, but that is just something that comes with working at summer camps (in 2 reviews)

• Limited communication with upper management and it causes problems when trying to hardware or software problems (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great People"

Pros

Everybody was friendly and interviews were low stress.

Cons

Management could be more organized

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. "Good Experience"

I worked at Digital Media Academy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close Teams
    Freedom to explore passion projects in line with company goals and values
    Friendly corporate team

Cons

As with many newer "smaller" companies - SOPs sometimes not in place

Advice to Management

Work on the "human" issues in the workplace. Trust, communication, and dealing with conflict should be high on the list of areas to work on.

3. "Camp Counselor"

Pros

Friendly staff, great environment. Love the setup

Cons

N/a i enjoyed ever moment.

5. "DMA Intern (Teaching Assistant)"

Pros

I loved being able to work with the amazing kids that DMA brings in. They taught me so much about myself.

Cons

As a TA, you are working more with the behavior of kids and keeping the environment friendly for all, more than actually teaching the kids.

6. "Good people, mostly good design"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Digital Media Academy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Digital media academy has friendly and approachable camp directors, fair compensation, and a positive work environment. They had helpful modules that effectively prepared you to teach the material.

Cons

Stressful technical difficulties often popped up and delayed lessons. Sometimes the required materials were not available or dysfunctional, but I guess you can't really blame the latter on them..

Advice to Management

Make it part of the procedure (close to manditory) for instructors and TAs to fill out 300 word essays describing their experiences and thoughts..Maybe you could offer small compensation (like $20 giftcard or something) for it

7. "DMA Austin"

Former Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Austin, TX

I worked at Digital Media Academy (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at DMA has a lot of pros. There are awesome people, the environment is encouraging, and the job is fun (especially if you love working with kids). The curriculum provided is really helpful and not only does it help you teach the students, there are a lot of things that I personally learned as well. The sizes of the classes are small so it allows you to really give the kids as much attention as possible.

Cons

Working with kids requires a lot of patience, so you really have to love it, but that is just something that comes with working at summer camps.

Advice to Management

I do not really have any advice to management because my experience with DMA was awesome! The team at the DMA Austin was really well run.

8. "Good high-school or college summer position"

Former Employee - Film Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Film Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Digital Media Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management, supervision is good so they teach you most things that you need to know.

Cons

Corporate will come down eventually and start vetting the teachers and it can get a bit stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great camp!

9. "Seasonal Work Review"

I worked at Digital Media Academy (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring team takes on some of the best people. Each year people come back (there's a high retention rate on employees) for the same environment and the same kind of relaxed/high functioning coworkers that make the work enjoyable. Added plus is the attention given to staff appreciation (you can get free meals/snacks), even though most are temporary staff.

Cons

It's intense for first year employees--the learning curve is steep, and the hours looked more like 50+ a week due to added logistics/materials work and crisis management. There's no guarantee for an on-staff nurse for kids each season. Trainings were less than effective.

Advice to Management

Either staff need to demonstrate solid people skills previously before being hired on, or (what would be preferred) the trainings would need to incorporate more work on preparing staff in this regard. Additionally, continuity across seasons should be prioritized--there needs to be more discussion/action with this in mind (there's no need to reinvent the wheel each summer).

10. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Digital Media Academy full-time

Pros

Ton's of great and supportive people who are passionate in their work. Decent compensation for the work put in.

Cons

Constant changes in the season role can be a bit shaking at first due to the amount of people in transition to their jobs

Advice to Management

Remember to always prioritize on the experience of the students we serve. With good service and product will come great growth.

11. "Great people, hard work"

Pros

Work hours give you the day time off. Support system is the best I've ever had from an employer. Very communicative between every day support staff (TAs, over night counselors, etc.) and all directors. Friday check out, my immediate director was always happy to provide us with coffee, paid for by DMA. Budget per kid and per counselor is generous.

Cons

A sense of animosity between day time and night time staff. I was working overnight once and had to remain downstairs to supervise over night kids while daytime staff was cleaning up and felt negative attention directed towards me. Day time staff often takes advantage of overnight staff, including taking food provided for in our overnight budget as well as breaking some rules, including entering residential area of building that were only supposed to be occupied by overnight staff and students, this was a continuous problem.

Advice to Management

Thank you so much for all of your amazing support. Please make sure day time staff are well aware of their limitations, as even after being spoken to several times they still were taking food from overnight budget and fridges as well as entering residential areas that were well posted as do not enter.