Digital Monitoring Products Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick Britton

"Company is great and work environment is great."

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Managers treat you with respect
    Company Values are very thought out
    Great company meetings and activities
    Get random pay raises at times
    Benefits are better than most

Cons

You have know someone or be related to move up the ranks. If you don't then not much advancement opportunities even if you are more qualified than the person just hired were you wanted to transfer.
    Pay is not bad but lower than some other companies.
    Training is good but at times more is needed.

Advice to Management

Look outside of your family. Sometimes fresh minds are needed in the ranks to help come up with new ideas.

2. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is so much to like about DMP. Caring ownership and management, great benefits, a place to grow (right your own ticket through your performance and initiative), a place that emphasizes family, great values that are actually lived out, a fun place to work, an unbelievable (but real) company culture.

Cons

If you don't want to be accountable for your work, if you have a problem with truthfulness, if you don't appreciate a family atmosphere in a growing, thriving, innovative business, if you can't support the mission and values the company operates under, then this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing...which always seems to mean finding ways to be even better.

3. "Good, Not Perfect Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DMP is one of the best places to work if your looking for an employer in the Springfield, MO area.

Cons

Like other reviewers have previously said, there is quite a bit of nepotism / favoritism in the company, especially in most upper management positions that are located at the HQ in Springfield. Most are not, extremely unqualified for the position but definitely would not have their positions if they were not related to or close friends with other members of upper management or the owners (although most of these people are extremely nice people). Nepotism / favoritism lowers morale at the company for some workers who are looking for promotions.

Company benefits overall are very poor (very few vacation days), and most HR policies seem very dated.

Like most companies there is mix of talent in the company, and the talent pool in Springfield is probably to blame. There are some extremely talented and brilliant individuals that work at DMP and then there are some who seem to not be quite as the same par as others.

Advice to Management

Try to hire / promote employees based more off of merit than relationship.

Increase vacation days (at least for office workers) to be competitive with similar tech companies.

Products / company brand image seems very dated and are not very appealing.

5. "I've given up on my expectations"

Current Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My first impression of DMP from the website was that it's a stuffy boring technology company and I expected that it would be the same kind of place everyone seems to work for- exciting at first but dreaded afterwards. The kind of place that you sigh to yourself on Sunday night because tomorrow means back to the grindstone.

I've given up on what I thought it would be like to work here and embraced the reality. DMP does a lot of things right and is a good place to come to work to. I have not dreaded a single Monday. The culture of the company is like a small friendly town- you say hello when you pass by in the hall, hold the door for one another and you can be comfortable sitting down with anyone at lunch, from the director to your immediate co-workers to complete strangers. I have found DMP to be a most refreshing place to work, that is free of gossip and idle chatter, without being stifling. As a new employee, I was a little intimidated by the sheer silence in the building (or at least the parts I work in), as I'm normally a chatty person, but my first takeaway was that while you're here- you work. I couldn't fathom how "Have Fun" is one of it's core values because it seems so serious at first. It's fun because you are involved in creating something with a team that gets along, and laughs come easy. People smile here. You do your best during the day so you can leave it all at work when you go home; promptly at 5 if you work in the offices or development (which is why I rated work/life balance 5 stars).

DMP is focused on communication and I am very thankful for the daily scrums and bi-weekly 1-1 meetings with the my manager to be most effective at my job. There's a freedom to discuss any projects, problems, needs or ambitions. In the year I've been here, I've seen more people promoted than leave (which Is why I rated 5 stars on career opportunity) and they are creating so many new jobs it's hard to keep up. They are very responsive here. I think that the reason they can do so much development so fast is that they choose the best, most passionate people for the job and let them do what they love.

It's easy to spot a new person at DMP- and it's not only because we all get an email welcoming them with their picture, but because they are the ones who look guarded, unsure. You know how it is- when you start somewhere, you're waiting for the other shoe to drop, to learn the ropes and for the day when you see "behind the curtain".. Well, that's the difference. Those of us who have been here for even a few months or more are relaxed in how we carry ourselves because we've seen that DMP is a company that is concerned with it's employees, that cares for us and is invested in enriching our lives. They offer enrichment opportunities in the form of Lunch & Learns, covering everything from personal financial classes and health seminars to physical fitness and even public speaking. We even have local health professionals in for blood drives, health screenings and more.

I think that they compensate their employees well though sometimes it's hard to articulate to a new person how generous they are because it's things that come up that are irregular. Like when we hit goals, have our company wide meetings, or enjoying the Fun day- where every employee got a surprise every hour on the hour that ended the announcement that every employee would get a 7% raise. It was such a generous surprise, on the heels of an amazing day that just blew us away. To hear the long timer's talk about it- surprises like that are not new to DMP employees.

Since I've been here I've witnessed opportunities for DMP employees to voluntarily give back to the local community through community improvement, reading programs, backpack provisions, food bank shifts, shoe drives, safe nights at local abuse and homeless shelters, encouragement of random acts of kindness and giving us an opportunity to share our passion for serving others. The owners and management set the standard by giving generously of their own time and money, and they live by the example they give others.

I've noticed that they also continuously develop those in leadership and broaden their skills. From an employee standpoint that is amazing because it means constant improvement in everyone's skills and relationships, and that there is intentional leadership development for myself if I need it and for those who are promoted or hired on.

Cons

When you're hired, it takes 2 years before you can get 2 weeks vacation (which is my preferred minimum though they offer some vacation within so many weeks or hire), although this is offset because they offer more paid holidays than any other company I've worked for (like the day after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve) and more PTO time as well, though it has to be taken in increments of 4 hours.

I think that financial compensation is industry standard. I wouldn't call their salary competitive because they align themselves very closely with the salary and benefits reported as local averages on the bls.gov site - whereas I think of a "competitive" company exceeding common salary figures to entice those who's sole focus is a bigger annual salary. So a con would be that perhaps some people would feel like they could have gotten more for a position than was offered or requested. ((note to prospective employees-Do your research on the salary for the jobs in this area- don't just look for national averages and you'll be pleased with your offer!))

The culture here is strong. You're expected to come to work and do your part with a good attitude and respect for others. The culture is so strong that if it's not who you are, this isn't the place for you. DMP insists on integrity, and has a written zero tolerance policy for those who do not exhibit it.

It also feels like it's expected that you will continue to grow in your field through a personal interest in self-development and to seek out opportunities to expand your knowledge, which would be a con if you were just wanting a job to get by and not a career that you could grow with.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace the open communication and generosity.

6. "I'm very satisfied"

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Springfield, MO

Pros

Very generous bonuses and special functions to make up for mediocre pay

Talented people

Almost no drama compared to other job sites I've worked at—Everyone gets along and everyone is helpful

Consistent schedule

Quality products

Wonderfully maintained building

High-quality workstation, software, and other production tools

Free security system and cheap upgrades

VERY involved CEO—Rick is very intelligent, and is involved with every aspect of his business

Cons

A bit of nepotism—There are a few families that seem to dominate the company (although I've yet to see any employees who are unqualified for their job, family or not).

Religious overtones—If you're not a Christian, you might feel a bit out of place. Christian faith is definitely a driving value at DMP. Other than getting invited to church every once in awhile, nobody has tried to single me out, though.

Pay is comparable to or a bit lower than similar positions I've been in.

"Beats unemployment, but barely."

Current Employee - Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DMP provides an excellent opportunity to learn how to figure out when people are "fake nice". Management acts like they're you're best friend and that they care about you, but you learn that they only care about their little clique and making money for themselves.

Cons

You cannot earn a salary that is competitive for the region unless you belong to a small handful of families that run the show. The owner makes a big deal out of the fact that he never graduated college, but there are zero opportunities to rise up through hard work.

Advice to Management

Quit parking exotic sports cars outside while your employees struggle to pay for the gas in their 20 year old beaters.

8. "Hard to Beat Working at DMP"

Current Employee - Training in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Training in Springfield, MO

Pros

Year after year DMP breaks sales records, sets new standards in a worldwide industry and creates new technologies that take the security world by storm. Extremely friendly, safe and clean place to work. DMP values its employees and shows that through appreciation breakfasts, lunches, summer picnics, Christmas parties and unexpected bonuses.

Cons

The construction crews (due to expansion of manufacturing, engineering and general offices, which means new jobs in the local area) are constantly around DMP expanding the building. Consistently breaking sales records and growing the DMP family is worth it, I'd say.

Advice to Management

A general employee rule about not making popcorn in the break room would be much appreciated. All offices within a 50 foot range of the break room smell of popcorn for the entire day. Its both tempting and annoying.

"Not a company for you unless like a conservative rubublican and religious athsophere"

I worked at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time

Pros

below average benefits at best for a company this size

Cons

You will feel as though you stumbled into a holler ( Can you hear the banjos....) by mistake and the locals came upon you and didnt know what to make of you or you of them and then fear sets in and you need to find the quickest escape route

Advice to Management

nepotism is a sin

"Great company but not enough pay"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Springfield, MO

I worked at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Potential for a bonus each year, great people and great bosses. The atmosphere is clean and very productive. There is always expansion going on.

Cons

Low pay and not a real maintenance position. As maintenance you build cubicles and office chairs. There is a lot of downtime and DMP has "their own way" of doing things (slow and to perfection) anywhere else you go it's get it done quickly and make it work which is a hard habit to break.

"Low pay and poor Management"

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Digital Monitoring Products Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

The pay is super low for the industry and your pay is the same across the board. You can have knowledge and years of experience along with certifications and degrees but you are going to make the same as someone with no knowledge and in the lowest level entry position. Raises are almost never, three years now. HR is the worst I have ever experienced.

Advice to Management

Hire better HR and Management instead of friends and family.