Digital Realty Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Digital Realty CEO A. William Stein
A. William Stein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, exciting changes are taking place within the company being driven by some very innovative people in the right positions (in 13 reviews)

• Great data center provider that I'm proud to work for (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is very challenging due to the nature of the business and expectations surrounding 7x24x365 operations (in 12 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at all (in 6 reviews)

1. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has done an excellent job of cultivating a positive environment that encourages employees to utilize their unique skill sets. Employees in return, go above and beyond in supporting their customers on a day-today basis
    Strong management team focused on growing the company
    Excellent SF location
    Global business destined to become more successful

Cons

Advice to Management

Continue the process of moving from a real estate focused company to a global data center/connectivity company. Create a more positive culture, and it's amazing what heights you can reach!

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation, working environment flexibility, people, interesting and challenging industry, variety of career opportunities in various aspects of the business if willing to work hard and volunteer for projects, process improvement opportunities.

Cons

Rapid growth and associated growing pains. Small company mentally, collaboration and teamwork suffer as a result. Work life balance is very challenging due to the nature of the business and expectations surrounding 7x24x365 operations.

Advice to Management

Establish a baseline culture and values each employee must adhere to, specifically a more open door policy and true appreciation for employee feedback and suggestions at all levels within the organization. All voices, suggestions and opinions add value. Teamwork and respect of all positions and individuals within the company should be a priority.

3. "Marketing Manager"

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time

Pros

I feel fortunate to work with a team full of smart, talented, yet humble people. If you have creative idea and are willing to explore and make a difference to the way how B2B marketing works, that's place you want to be.
    This is also a company which emphasizes work-life balance.

Cons

The mission could be more clearly defined and delivered to the individual contributor level.

Advice to Management

1) Excellent product strategies, however go-to-market strategies should start with a global vision.
    2) Recommend 360 review, a professional feedback opportunity that enables a group of coworkers to provide feedback on an employee's performance. Coworkers who participate in the 360 review usually include the boss, several peers, reporting staff, and functional managers with whom the employee works regularly.

4. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Stock Options, Upward Mobility, Flexibility

Cons

Culture, Generic Corporate Environment, Insurance

Advice to Management

My biggest qualm is with the lack of attention to corporate culture. For a large technology company, there is a lack of team building and employee appreciation. Hard work is not always rewarded and apathy is often times ignored. That being said, if you work hard and make others aware of your hard work you can, often times, move departments internally. The pay is good. The vacation time is good. The stock option is great and the company is projected to grow.

5. "Digital is a great place to work"

I worked at Digital Realty full-time

Pros

Strong management team focused on growing the company

Great compensation and benefits

Excellent SF location

Global business destined to become more successful

Cons

Fast paced, can be difficult to prioritize. Overall great work environment with great people. Not really many cons that I can think of.

6. "Assistant Real Estate Manager"

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time

Pros

Good pay and opportunity for advancement. Stable job and supportive environment.

Cons

Being such a big company makes it easy to get stuck into one specific, repetitive role and could halt advancement if you don't take ownership and move forward to higher level responsibilities.

7. "A Great Place to Grow a Career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Digital Realty for coming up on five years now and it has been a great experience. The company has evolved and expanded a lot since I came on board, and there have certainly been growing pains, but overall I would say I have learned a ton and had the opportunity to contribute to some important initiatives and programs. There are many talented, supportive and fun people throughout the organization. Demand for data centers is only going up as mega trends including the Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, the Cloud and Big Data take hold. Digital Realty is well positioned to support these developments around the world. In short: This company has legs!

Cons

The pace at Digital Realty is breakneck at times and individuals who need a lot of handholding and guidance struggle.

"Service Technician"

Current Employee - Service Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, kind and gentle... all the working environment is amazed.

Cons

I want some more benefits information as FAQ section.

Advice to Management

The CSC Staff Key needs to be checked out of the EKMS more than 9 hours time limit.

Jul 20, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review and your continued hard work! Keep an eye out for the new Benefits page that will be rolled out this year – I think you will like what you see!

9. "Great Company for Your Career"

Current Employee - Data Center Manager
    Current Employee - Data Center Manager

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am extremely grateful for working at Digital Realty. The company has done an excellent job of cultivating a positive environment that encourages employees to utilize their unique skill sets. Employees in return, go above and beyond in supporting their data center customers on a day-today basis. In addition, management encourages and supports the data centers to give back to the employees through monthly lunches for the engineers with customers and without customers along with quarterly offsite team building events (during the workday)! Furthermore, the acquisitions of Telex accelerated the transformation of the company away from a real estate focused company - looking forward to additional strategic acquisitions in the near future.

Cons

Limited upward mobility for data center engineers and entry-level management positions.

Advice to Management

Continue the process of moving from a real estate focused company to a global data center/connectivity company; this transformation should include better compensation and benefits that are comparable to companies in the data center industry.

Jul 20, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

I appreciate your review and transparent feedback. The pros you mentioned in your review tell me that our intention to promote a positive work environment have not gone unnoticed! As a member of... More

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Digital Realty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and some great people, free snacks and huge corporate potential.

Cons

During my tenure I had the opportunity to work with a number of senior management in high stress situations, and was surprised at the amount of finger pointing, blame shifting, and toxic backstabbing. It seems, from more recent reviews, that the culture may be changing. I hope, for current staff's sake, that holds true!

Advice to Management

Correcting a hostile environment is a difficult task, but a building full of deflated and defeated employees will never go the extra mile for you. Create a more positive culture, and it's amazing what heights you can reach!

Jul 20, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. While I love the pros you call out “great pay, great people, free snacks and huge corporate potential” - the cons are concerning and not... More