Digital Realty Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Digital Realty CEO A. William Stein
A. William Stein

Pros
  • Great people, exciting changes are taking place within the company being driven by some very innovative people in the right positions (in 9 reviews)

• Great people to work with and great vision for Data Center development for their customers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The proclamation of "Work-Life Balance" has never been true in 6 years (in 11 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at all (in 6 reviews)

1. "Review"

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and growth in the industry

Cons

Long integration process and cultures not aligned

2. "Good company and vision, but lacking connection with employees"

I have been working at Digital Realty (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and great vision for Data Center development for their customers.

Cons

Growth within the company is sporadic depending on what department for which you work. They tout that they want to retain great talent, but it is very hard to see that.

Advice to Management

Focus more on people rather that the process and take care of good talent to retain them.

"Poor Property Managers"

I have been working at Digital Realty part-time

Pros

- Other clients are very friendly and helpful

Cons

- Property managers are extremely fake, stay away from that guy Corin

- Property managers have no idea how to get things done. A card reader in our work space has been out for months and when asked about it, it usually triggers a deer in headlights look

Advice to Management

- Start Over

5. "Data Center Services Technician - Bay Area"

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Digital Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere for where I worked (Oakland and San francisco Data centers which were former 365 Main properties).
    Favorable people to work with, and very Life first-focused attitude.
    Clear, documented procedures make for knowing what needs to be done, when to do it, and how to.
    Easy commutes (both of my facilities were nearby public transit).
    Plenty of room for advancement.
    Direct Management does a great job listening to their employees. I always knew I had my bosses support because of very reasonable and achievable expectations.
    Company-paid education - a doze of us took an online course, all paid for by DLR which also included the cost of the certification (Network+ and A+ certs).

Cons

DLR, like any company that swallows other companies, has the challenge of streamlining policies to fit what I believe was successful for 365 Main.
    They didn't have a job for me when I moved to the other side of the country (but I can hardly fault you for not having a place for me).

Advice to Management

Continue to support the people who work for you and make your company look great.

"Property Management"

I worked at Digital Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, lunches, benefits, hard working operations teams.

Cons

Where to begin...you are just an indispensable employee. They do not care about their people. Policy and process are constantly changing. Unrealistic deadlines. Do not work for this company! Sales team is a joke. They spend ridiculous amounts of money on concerts, events, etc for "clients" (no clients in actual attendance) but operations is told to cut money for essential all operational functions.

Advice to Management

Bring in an independent business consultant to evaluate how to run and business. Realize that valuing your people will help the business. Evaluate top heavy upper management and invest more in current customers.

7. "Assistant real estate manager Chicago"

Pros

Great team, good benefits, modern offices, lots of employee events, innovative forward thinking company, employee appreciation perks such as snacks, coffee, drinks in offices, lunches, happy hours, etc.

Cons

Lack of promotion opportunities (they tend to hire from without), poor communication, lack of training and development, no tuition reimbursement, not a lot of room to grow. Disconnect between senior leadership and on-site staff.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees by providing growth opportunities and trainings, tuition reimbursement, and employee development. Improve and streamline your communication process and get more feedback from your on site teams or involve them more in developing new process roll-outs, new procedures, etc.

"Newness of Newly Hired Attitude Wears Off FAST"

Former Employee - Property Assistant in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Property Assistant in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Digital Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in non-mgmt positions, with great general camaraderie as long as your manager doesn't mind some office chatter. As part of the large group, whose jobs were cut, I miss my local Digital family and the AP/Marketing/Tech Ops group. Some of us have strong ties to our vendors and they with us.

Cons

Company has good intentions, just doesn't know how to pull it off and often dismantles the office "Team". New ideas are not generally welcomed, although they say "Open-Door Policy" and mgmt beats down the team spirit quite often. They've gotten rid off a few bad managers, but put new ones in place - some good, some not so much. Corporate has extremely lavish Holiday parties, but other sites aren't even encouraged to do a casual "pot-luck" to celebrate and are told that it wasn't budgeted. ((WOW. Great motivation.) Efforts are RARELY appreciated and the downfalls are ALWAYS brought to your attention. Communication is close to nonexistent and the rules/policies change weekly and everyone is not made aware. The "All-Hands" calls are the same old stuff an waste everyone's time. The proclamation of "Work-Life Balance" has never been true in 6 years.There is always some dire emergency that HAS to be taken care of before leaving. Highly qualified people are given nominal tasks or are "not allowed" to suggest proven solutions - (Being told "That's not your job or decision....") If these conditions were recognized by HR and they offered to take me back, I would gladly go back. I'd love to see the changes that so many have wanted since 2010.

Advice to Management

With the acquisition, you lost a solid group who wanted to make a difference and were loyal, but Corporate beat everyone down and didn't listen to the concerns of those of us on the front line who have some solid suggestions. The people you let go were of such value (for the most part) and those that you kept are the ones who really don't take their job too seriously. You need to let those you have placed in position,to make these decisions based on their past experiences, with the proper protocol. With the cutbacks, the current staff is SO frustrated. With releasing employees and bringing on new, you are wasting so much of everyone's time, creating even MORE frustration. This isn't rocket science. Let these people do their jobs!

9. "Assistant Real Estate Manager"

Pros

They have a great compensation package.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company.

10. "Solid company, success depends on team"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time

Pros

Company has grown quite a bit over the few years that I've been here. This means room for professional growth if you have managers that are willing to fight for you.

Cons

CEO and HR are doing lots to improve company culture which was negatively impacted after the acquisition but work is still needed. Sometimes politics seems more prized than people bug again, I think they really are working on that.

Advice to Management

Employee satisfaction has a direct correlation to stock prices so make sure your employees are happy. Tone down the political infighting and dynastic struggles.

11. "Digital Realty Experience"

Current Employee - Command Center Analyst II in Clifton, NJ
    Current Employee - Command Center Analyst II in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very pleasant working environment. The associates have an excellent commradre and the atmosphere is very active. Management is very helpful and professional

Cons

I believe it it is too soon to determine any significant cons at this time being that I hae only been with the company for a few days.

Advice to Management

I believe it it is too soon to provide advice to management at this time being that I have only been with the company for a few days.