Digital Realty Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 8, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Digital Realty CEO A. William Stein
A. William Stein

Pros
  • Great people, exciting changes are taking place within the company being driven by some very innovative people in the right positions (in 11 reviews)

• This company provides co-location space within a Data center (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The proclamation of "Work-Life Balance" has never been true in 6 years (in 11 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at all (in 6 reviews)

"Newness of Newly Hired Attitude Wears Off FAST"

Former Employee - Property Assistant in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Property Assistant in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Digital Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in non-mgmt positions, with great general camaraderie as long as your manager doesn't mind some office chatter. As part of the large group, whose jobs were cut, I miss my local Digital family and the AP/Marketing/Tech Ops group. Some of us have strong ties to our vendors and they with us.

Cons

Company has good intentions, just doesn't know how to pull it off and often dismantles the office "Team". New ideas are not generally welcomed, although they say "Open-Door Policy" and mgmt beats down the team spirit quite often. They've gotten rid off a few bad managers, but put new ones in place - some good, some not so much. Corporate has extremely lavish Holiday parties, but other sites aren't even encouraged to do a casual "pot-luck" to celebrate and are told that it wasn't budgeted. ((WOW. Great motivation.) Efforts are RARELY appreciated and the downfalls are ALWAYS brought to your attention. Communication is close to nonexistent and the rules/policies change weekly and everyone is not made aware. The "All-Hands" calls are the same old stuff an waste everyone's time. The proclamation of "Work-Life Balance" has never been true in 6 years.There is always some dire emergency that HAS to be taken care of before leaving. Highly qualified people are given nominal tasks or are "not allowed" to suggest proven solutions - (Being told "That's not your job or decision....") If these conditions were recognized by HR and they offered to take me back, I would gladly go back. I'd love to see the changes that so many have wanted since 2010.

Advice to Management

With the acquisition, you lost a solid group who wanted to make a difference and were loyal, but Corporate beat everyone down and didn't listen to the concerns of those of us on the front line who have some solid suggestions. The people you let go were of such value (for the most part) and those that you kept are the ones who really don't take their job too seriously. You need to let those you have placed in position,to make these decisions based on their past experiences, with the proper protocol. With the cutbacks, the current staff is SO frustrated. With releasing employees and bringing on new, you are wasting so much of everyone's time, creating even MORE frustration. This isn't rocket science. Let these people do their jobs!

2. "Solid company, success depends on team"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time

Pros

Company has grown quite a bit over the few years that I've been here. This means room for professional growth if you have managers that are willing to fight for you.

Cons

CEO and HR are doing lots to improve company culture which was negatively impacted after the acquisition but work is still needed. Sometimes politics seems more prized than people bug again, I think they really are working on that.

Advice to Management

Employee satisfaction has a direct correlation to stock prices so make sure your employees are happy. Tone down the political infighting and dynastic struggles.

"High-Potential, But Plagued by Organizational Dysfunction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company is in a solid financial and market position.
    - Growing.
    - Salaries can be competitive.
    - Flexible schedule opportunities and above average PTO helps making the organizational dysfunctional easier to deal with.
    - The company makes an effort to retain top talent.
    - Great Office Snacks.

Cons

- Your experience will depend on your group or direct manager. Some groups have strong processes, work-life balance, communication, promotion opportunities, and culture; others are completely lacking.
    - Lack of diversity in the Executive Team.
    - Legacy Telx morale isn’t great: a lot more dysfunction to deal with.

Advice to Management

Drop the real-estate driven culture and continue to transform towards a process and product-driven technology company that happens to be a REIT. This is essential to keep the business from becoming a commodity.

Help institutionalize the mission/vision/value statements with a centralized strategy that’s communicated and practiced throughout the entire organization.

Building processes and things in silos is very rampant in Digital Realty’s DNA; communication and input between teams needs to be #1 goal for long term EBITA and organizational health.

Organization problems aren’t caused by our growth; rather, they’re caused from a lack of culture.

Consider hiring a Culture Officer role to oversee internal transformation and communication. HR needs to be more involved, and create employee development plans to align individual employees goals with business goals.

"so so"

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, good insurance

Cons

If you work shift work pray you're on day shift (1st Shift) 2nd or 3rd shift you are forgotten about and fall on deaf ears

Advice to Management

Just because you have a College degree doesn't mean that you are better or smarter then those that dont... while you was in college we was here getting experience on the facility

6. "Good Plan but it's in DRT's Hands Now"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Digital Realty (More than a year)

Pros

Good people doing important work in data center industry.

Cons

Some in Sr. Mgmt. in NYC have no idea how to run or sell in this space unless they're in a carrier hotel.

Advice to Management

Try keeping what you had in spite of the DRT takeover.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - General and Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General and Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team Environment, Hard Working, Great Managerial Support, Great training program

Cons

Communication between departments needs work. For example, construction team does what they want and doesn't let the other teams aware. It's their way or no way. Forced to use their vendors.

Advice to Management

Let the team that you hire, run the site the way they want

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rowlett, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rowlett, TX

I have been working at Digital Realty (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provides weekly fruit baskets and snacks. Periodically has potlucks and quarterly birthday celebrations. Possibility to work from home occasionally. Can wear jeans on Friday.

Cons

Company does not treat employees equally. Communication is the number one problem within the company. Most females are not recognized for their accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally. Dress Code should be required. Company states that they honor work/life balance, but doesn't.

"A company with great potential"

Current Employee - Critcalsystems Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Critcalsystems Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Benefit package, salary, and my peers I work with.

Cons

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. there is a clear disconnect between Management and Services.

"real estate manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Digital Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well funded and an industry leader in the development of data centers

Cons

company has reached an age of its maturity where the original founders are being forced out and the emphasis is now strictly on the returns of investment, making it a difficult company to be working for at this time.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest asset and senior leaders to be more aware of them

"Director, Operations, Support, and Project Management"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Digital Realty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay well
    Stable Company
    Room for Growth

Cons

Senior Management bully their employees. Teams are over-worked. Always pointing fingers.

Advice to Management

Trust their employees