Digital River Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Digital River CEO David Dobson
David Dobson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Diverse and engaging company culture along with great beer Fridays (in 31 reviews)

• I work in the Marketforce team, so i can not speak on behalf of everyone, but just in the Marketforce, there are great people and a positive energy (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance can sometimes be out of canter - but then this is the fun you have with agency work (in 14 reviews)

• The work/life balance could be better and senior management is not always professional (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Anonymous Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time

Pros

Sales strategies, company plan and performance are communicated well now in the quarterly meetings.
    PTO policy is great, but prepare to work long hours to make up the work you missed.
    The people here are great, including my manager.
    Very nice campus!
    Some managers do care about training and development.
    Gym, cafeteria, mini events like Santa's visit and tailgating.

Cons

Constantly changing company strategies.
    Work/life balance is poor in departments that have outsourced positions. Retained staff struggle to take up the slack. Transition seems never ending.

Advice to Management

Be more visible. Talk to people.
    Make DR a healthy and prosperous company without any more layoffs. People won't feel involved or give their best when there is no shared commitment between employer and employee. Keep up the salary market comparisons so people are fairly compensated.

Jan 11, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We know the last couple of months as we make hard choices necessary to be operationally efficient and effective. While difficult, these... More

2. "analyst"

I have been working at Digital River full-time

Pros

Good benefits and have work life balance

Cons

Medical benefits can improve a bit more

"Good place to work"

I worked at Digital River full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technology company, good work culture

Cons

No job security, outsourcing threat

Advice to Management

nothing

Aug 28, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate the feedback. While there have been strategic outsourcing measures that we have taken in order to make sure that Digital River can serve the... More

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are great and the people are even better. The flexible time off is awesome and the genuinely caring attitude of managers really stands out. We

Cons

Some negativity from some employees toward the executive team. The company has gone through some much needed changes in the past few years and change is never easy for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. It's obvious that you are doing everything possible to put the company in a great place with a long term outlook (also, I love the new branding). Continue putting employees first and communicating the details of decisions being made.

Aug 28, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for the positive review. We always appreciate hearing why people come and stay at Digital River!

"Operations"

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

Great people, interesting global clients, and purposeful and meaningful work in an exciting international growing industry.

Cons

The company is going through a good amount of necessary changes based on market and financial conditions.

Advice to Management

Although the entire DR team is important to company goals, not everyone can absorb change at the same pace.

Aug 28, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for the review. The advice you gave is even better! Its great when former employees can look back and tell us about their experience. We appreciate it!

6. "OK place to work for a while"

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

Good managers and directors. Lots of great teamwork and knowledge.

Cons

Upper management seems to shift the goals and not invest in people and systems.

Sep 7, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We understand when goals or direction changes, it can complicate things for people and we try, whenever possible, to stay the course on our strategies. But with the changing nature of the global... More

"Potential For Greatness, Good Bones, Slipping Rapidly Into Obsolescence"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Respectful of Work-Life Balance, Professional, Organized, Skilled, Solid Technology

Cons

Constantly Changing Focus, No Respect From Upper Management, Ships Jobs Overseas, Undervalued Compensation, Poor Medical Insurance, Not Cutting-Edge Technology

Advice to Management

Keep jobs in countries that have higher standards of living. Choose a direction and stick to it. Hire more tech people to build-out future developments on a timed schedule. Cut the salaries and benefits of the CEO, CFO, and other upper management - they are vastly over-valued compared to the everyday workers and do not appear to value the work that maintains client relationships and the internal, technical systems. Provide health coverage that is usable without high deductible premiums for things like office visits and prescriptions.

Aug 16, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us how we are doing. We have noticed common themes from our employees who post on Glassdoor, and are glad to see people enjoy the flexibility we give them... More

"Affiliate Marketing Analyst"

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

This role was probably the best and worst job I have had.

- My skill set went up many many notches.
    - Beer Fridays
    - Company exclusive (and free) Food Truck Fest in the parking lot during the summer
    - Free hot drink bar
    - Open cubicle environment
    - Teams are close so you will meet people fast

Cons

- It was bureaucratic and very similar to high school cliques.
    - They were very strong on perception even during lunch breaks.
    - Low paying, with overqualified people

Advice to Management

Based on my experience, do not yell at your employees. Have higher management be friendlier to everyone. They are not the best thing since sliced bread.

"Career Development"

I have been working at Digital River full-time

Pros

The company has got a lot of talented people and the proficiency level is pretty high. It enables one to learn and enhance their professional skills in respective to their domain on a scale of enterprise e-commerce platform.

Cons

Not all managers have the ability to see potential employee members and promote them for their talent and hardwork. More often than not, the hardworking but quiet ones' efforts are not properly recognized and this can really hit the morale on some people.

Jul 14, 2017 – Manager Talent Acquisition

We are so glad that you believe in the people you work with, we have smart, amazing, dynamic people at this company and we are so lucky to work with this caliber of talent.

All of our vacancies... More

"Ignore the fake reviews. Do NOT work here."

I worked at Digital River full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-- Free beer on Fridays
    -- Subsidized lunches at the HQ cafeteria
    -- Good jokes by co-workers which make you laugh from time to time

Cons

Where to start? First, the company's entire technology stack is outdated and product management is a joke. Somehow, Digital River's legacy technology is of use and value to companies through duct-taped code that supports e-commerce for businesses who are too naive to do it themselves.

Second, leadership and specifically, Dave Dobson, is crass, rude and anything but what you would want in a leader. He stated that the unlimited PTO was simply a way for the company to save money so they don't have to payout unused vacation. How caring and honest! When the company was sold to Siris in 2014, he stated that it was a good day in his household (he pocketed millions in stock). How classy!

Regardless of what DR writes in their response to this review, I'll give you the truth. Unlimited PTO is not because the company cares about you. The pay is below market value. The benefits are a complete joke and would cost a family of three several thousands of dollars in out of pocket deductible costs because the company cut back on healthcare for its employees. Their technology is outdated, and will be replaced by machine-learning in the not-so distant future. Their leadership is nearly 100% male, old white guys who have no interested in the longevity of this company and only their short term wealth/payout. Don't work here. Ever.

Advice to Management

Retire your careers. You're not worthy of being called a "leader."