Digital River Reviews | Glassdoor

Digital River Reviews

Updated April 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Diverse and engaging company culture along with great beer Fridays (in 31 reviews)

• I work in the Marketforce team, so i can not speak on behalf of everyone, but just in the Marketforce, there are great people and a positive energy (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance can sometimes be out of canter - but then this is the fun you have with agency work (in 14 reviews)

• The work/life balance could be better and senior management is not always professional (in 12 reviews)

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Historically DR has had a great culture, lots of autonomy and a true international feel. Some lovely people, who really care about what they do.

A pressured client facing environment where performance is rewarded.

The chance to work in a global company, with smart people and a dynamic ecommerce industry

Cons

DR has missed it's chance, too slow to move and the business model is totally not what the market wants. They are stuck in the software sector and getting killed on product, price and performance.

Long serving employees have been let go with minimal severance. Moral is at an all time low, Most of the talent has left so they are stuck with survivors or folks with no market experience. The more to private equity has seen the company operate on a pure P+L level, with no investment and the client base being milked.

Totally reliant on Microsoft, once that cash cow leaves, which it will, they are doomed.The executive team are hanging on for a buy out in a year or two and the will continue to sell parts of the business until then. No significant client wins, a shrinking base and a cut throat culture makes it a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to a new owner fast. Someone that will invest in the organisation, people and technology.

"Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Digital River (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mid size and good environment

Cons

Org change constantly from top down

3. "Not a bad place if you want to learn"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Fast paced, various technologies, great learning opportunity.

Cons

Process improvement for agile as they are moving from waterfall.

"Too many changes to be considered stable."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Great hardworking people.
    Great cafeteria.
    Employees do a great job of innovation.

Cons

Culture of working to not be laid off.
    Mistrust of executives and managers.
    Expects workers to do more with less after layoffs.
    Change company direction every time a new executive comes on board. (Systems, health insurance, tracking, etc)
    Culture is negative and unhappy.
    Pretend to care about employee opinion by sending surveys, but nothing changes.
    Disguise negative impact with big and exciting words, spring layoffs on employees.
    Claim that loyalty and go wry are key components to success, but layoff employees who have been with company 16 years.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Be honest. For a company that makes $90 million a year and has been in business for over 20, there should be more stability. Employees should not be working in an environment of fear. At least when the owner and original CEO was there, I felt like he cared about his employees.

"DR, Inc."

Current Employee - Accounting in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Accounting in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, fun place to work, opportunity to move up, and the company is transparent.

Cons

Pay and benefits could always be better but not really too many cons.

"My time at Digital River has been very rewarding. There are tons of opportunities and management is very supportive."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright employees, cutting-edge technology, management is open to new ideas to make things better. New leadership has definitely made strides to professionalize many of our companies policies which has not set well some of the "establishment." Change is constant and everyone has their own threshold for embracing and adopting change. Every company goes through change it just matters who you are willing to go through change with. Everyone needs to ask themselves if they enjoy the people they work with and if the company's mission, strategy and overall direction is something that challenges and excites them. Digital River and their clients definitely offer difficult challenges...that I enjoy solving with these smart, talented and devoted employees.

Cons

Lack of consistent tools available to the employees to support company-wide collaboration and ongoing data analytics. This leads to numerous one-off solutions, disjointed manual processes, laborious fire drills to perform data analysis that reinforces the assumptions and day-to-day observations of these very bright employees (waisted time associated with these fire drills). The lack of adoption or lack of a company-wide tools strategy leads to multiple tools being independently researched and implemented by departments (compounding the lack of collaboration issue not to mention increasing costs) and makes compliance and overall governance on a regular basis nearly impossible...which lends itself to paying costly penalties to correct the issues.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees that are still here. I don't mean raises necessarily.

Although, we had a kick @$$ year in 2015 (thus the party) where a lot of people worked their @$$e $ off to make it successfull, enabling records to broken on a daily (even hourly) basis. All to be told that there would be no raises or bonuses. I know Executives said they weren't getting raises or bonuses this year to fund next year's bonus fund. (Dont let me forget to say thank you in May of 2017.) How about taking an Executive salary paycut this year to allow your employees, the company's most valuable assets, to get raises/bonuses this year based upon the 2015 kick @$$ , record-breaking performance? Not everyone got paid millions of dollars when the company went from public to private. Just some tough love feedback. This news was not the cherry on top coming on the heels of that party.

I'm talking more about developing a training and development strategy...spend some money on training and enrichment. Invest in collaborative tools to improve day-to-day effectiveness and efficiencies. Create a way where PowerPoint is not the lynch pin on communicating weekly corporate project/program strategy. How about a common project tracking tool to again promote this elusive collaboration idea? We need to embrace our culture, which part of that culture is that we have around 1,000 employees but we communicate at times like we have 150,000 employees. Why does it feel like hunting expedition to get strategy information; something that should be core to a company our size. It has improved...but still a long way to go.

Overall...I'm satisfied with Digital River and am ready to roll up my sleeves to make it better...primarily because the people that are still here are amazing assets.

"Handle with care..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

2016 will now have a (small) bonus program for all salaried employees, payout is yearly.
    High end of salaries than most tech companies. (but you pay for it by working with outdated tools!)
    Flexible office hours, and WFH options - well, dependent on your manager
    Many position include a mobile phone you can use for personal time.
    Beer-Friday (yes, beer is served on Friday down in the cafe at 3:30)
    New "unlimited" Flexible Time Off. (replacement for PTO) Not tracked, but also not guaranteed.
    Massage Therapist & Chiropractor onsite.

Cons

Siris Capital firm bought DR last year and is making "operational" improvements (cost cutting!). The future is unknown in terms of when they would sell, or piece out the company.
    ELT made the statement that we aren't hitting our company goals (shaming us) - yet, the company goals are now 30-40% growth. That's not realistic.
    No merit increases this year for salary!!!!
    Constant shifting of priorities. Even when they say they aren't going to shift them "from here on out".
    Conference room audio is awful.
    New health insurance program puts all employees on a High Deductible, Low Premium plan - simply because the new Chief of HR said it worked better for his personal experience.
    Yearly Employee Engagement survey doesn't change management
    Off-shoring employees is in full swing! They are not replacing onshore attrition in IT or Engineering.

Advice to Management

Last year we rolled out a "Be Digital River" campaign, asking employees to devote & engage more with Digital River. Employee engagement will not happen just because you open a new campaign, and certainly not when you cancel merit increases and keep up with layoffs.

"Management is only concerned about their pockets"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Digital River full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-- Dedicated employees
    -- Talented workforce
    -- Above average pay scale, especially for manager positions
    -- Beer Fridays
    -- Good work/life balance

Cons

-- Outdated tools. Product management is terrible, and selling these to the client is downright dishonest and nauseating. Some of the tools haven't been updated in more than 10 years, yet we still sell them to the client as if they're state of the art.
    -- Below par healthcare. All healthcare is now high deductible, HSA based plans that are for the worst.
    -- Management is completely out of touch with the realities of employee welfare. They only care about their pocket books and the bottom line, no matter how much they spin it.
    -- Low employee morale. Most people treat this as a job they stay at for 8 hours, then leave. Everyone is outraged by the poor healthcare and management.

"One of the greatest"

Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River full-time

Pros

Leader in the ecommerce space
    Fast pace, stable, very talented staff

Cons

Run too lean, which can impact lead times and innovation.

Advice to Management

Fact check
    Increase delivery org.

"Technical Center Agent"

Former Employee - - Technical Center Agent in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - - Technical Center Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Digital River (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Attended bi-weekly meeting to to maintain and improve the synergy. Had monthly one-on-one meeting with Management to discuss not only work-related issues, but also to get to know each other more on a personal level. I loved my schedule of working four, ten hour days; hence, having three consecutive days off.

Cons

Working 2nd Shift. At times I felt as though a collaborative Team effort was not being employed. It was a highly stressful job, as we were required to adhere to the contractual Service Level Agreements; meaning, we had to respond to an email within 15 minutes, as we received approximately 1,500 emails per shift.

Advice to Management

I responded and worked well with the non-micro Management style. However, I felt that Management had the tendency to point out only one's mistakes and that positive feedback was not as much incorporated nor utilized.