Digital Roots Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Digital Roots"

Current Employee - Account Management in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Account Management in Northville, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are the type of person that likes to push the status-quo, Digital Roots is the place for you. The social media software solution is built on artificial intelligence and has been proven to be the most efficient solution for our global clients. The people are down to earth, smart, and supportive. Bonus, the location is in a hip workspace in downtown Northville that does not contain cubicles. You have the opportunity to be a direct contributor to the company's success. Work/life balance options are supported.

Cons

As with any software company, to fit in with the culture, you must be willing to work in a fast-paced environment and be flexible to change.

Advice to Management

By far, the best work experience I've had yet... keep up the good work!

2. "I worked here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Northville Township, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Northville Township, MI

I worked at Digital Roots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I only worked at Digital Roots for a short period, however, I had a lot of fun and made some really great friends. A couple of major pros:

- Super laid back environment
    - Flexible, can work from home
    - Opportunity to talk to customers
    - Opportunity to influence product direction
    - Very very competitive salary
    - Great location/Cool office
    - Very interesting/innovative technology
    - CTO actually codes and is really cool
    - Modern technologies/practices

Cons

I'd left a very high-octane/fast paced team at a large company looking to dip my toes in the startup world. I was super excited about contributing to a new and exciting product and leaving my mark on the world. Unfortunately, DR didn't end up being a fit but I think it was more about me and my expectations rather than DR itself.

I thrive in a high stress/fast paced environment, for a startup, digital roots is very much not that. This may be due to the executive team bearing a brunt of the burden and shielding other members of the team -- however, I felt left out at times.

I didn't get to influence company direction as much as I'd hoped.

Ultimately I left due to feeling unmotivated and wanting to do something "bigger" -- change the world kind of thing. I think DR can very much do that, just at the time, it wasn't for me.

Also certain groups of individuals seemed very cliquey - a bit of drama that doesn't belong in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Include ANYONE/EVERYONE who is interested in product discussions at this stage.

To the CEO: stop working in the glass cubicle, and work in the open space with the rest of the team. Include team in vision/product discussions EARLY.

Management should step in and resolve team issues/conflict FAST. Don't let things fester.

3. "Great Company, Solid Startup"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Northville, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Digital Roots is a rock solid startup which writes equally solid software. The company itself is filled with genuine, caring individuals who are quite intelligent. As part of the software team you are managed well, yet not micromanaged which allows for a very comfortable work atmosphere. If you are a self-motivated individual who has worked at a startup before, jumping into your role is quite easy. The company itself is very flexible and accommodating. You're allowed to work from home, from a movable desk or from one of the couches in the 'hang-out' area.

The pay for positions at Digital Roots are quite competitive, especially since they are a startup. The company also has great health benefits.

Cons

Depending on your past work experience it may take a little to get settled into the atmosphere. Those coming from larger organizations seem to have issues adjusting.

Advice to Management

When I started, communication across the various departments was lacking. Yet, most startups typically have some flaws as the company begins to grow but a successful company knows its weaknesses and corrects them. Digital Roots has been doing just that and has improved communication across the departments... my advice: keep up the good work!

4. "Startup Culture"

Current Employee - Social Media Data Analyst in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Social Media Data Analyst in Novi, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good culture.
    - CEO is brilliant and a genuinely good guy.
    - Fun and young group of employees

Cons

- Low Pay
    - Took about a month before I actually know what we did as a company

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your employee about what it is you do.
    If given a project, provide expectations and leadership.

Digital Roots Response

Feb 27, 2017 – System Administrator

Post written for incorrect company; Social Media Data Analysts are employees of Seed Staffing who utilize Digital Roots software on behalf of clients specified by Seed Staffing.

5. "Propaganda and False Promises"

I worked at Digital Roots full-time

Pros

Energetic workforce. Major accounts. Significant opportunity to grow into work with a heavy reliance on doing your best and meeting major requirements. Nice location with 'green' concepts.

Cons

Leadership - there is none. The same problems keep happening year-in and year-out. That fat-shaming and the like occurred is one thing but the backstabbing and gossip within management is disappointing when heard from around the corner. All sales talk from the top - clients deserve to hear more than 'we'll look into that' or other made up excuses. Too much flash and unnecessary spending while zero business growth. Unequal compensation based upon who tells Jason what he wants to hear.

Advice to Management

Sell or allow true managers to do the job they should. You rewarded people who bailed and demand more from those with true loyalty. Every former co-worker empathizes for those still behind.

6. "Huge Potential, Great Experience"

Former Employee - Market Research Director in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Market Research Director in Northville, MI

I worked at Digital Roots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The biggest pro at Digital Roots is the talent and expertise of the staff, combined with a product that is generations beyond the competition. Paired with this, the leadership team is dedicated to innovation, and not afraid to shift directions when a strategy or tactic is not working as expected. The place is full of bright minds, and oozes with potential and opportunity.

Beyond this, the company offers great comradery and culture — you'll not only respect the people you work with, but you'll also truly enjoy their company. There always seems to be fun things going on like snack clubs, BBQs, office pools, etc. And if you don't like to brown bag it, there is always a group or two that heads out to lunch; there are many great options in the area. In general, Digital Roots offers a real family atmosphere, and you'll be valued as a part of that family, not just an employee.

The office space is very unique and impressive, and is especially enjoyable in the spring/summer months when there is a lot of sunlight (though the office can be a little chilly in the winter). A beautiful park and downtown Northville are literally right across the street.

Benefits are generous, and there is a great deal of flexibility in terms of work hours and working out of the office. Most employees show up between 8AM-10AM and leave between 4PM-6PM. Night and weekend work is expected, but it's manageable and the effort is always recognized and appreciated. Great work/life balance.

Cons

If you are not used to being a self-starter and figuring out on your own how you can best contribute, you will find yourself lost at times. Some people thrive in such an unstructured environment, so this isn't necessarily a "con" per se. But the environment might be better suited to someone with an established work ethic and some level of experience versus someone new to the workforce.

Processes and contingencies could be more clearly defined. On the plus side, if you are a go-getter, you'll get the chance to try many different things as swim lanes and roles are sometimes fluid. Also on the process front, miscommunication tends to occur a little more often than it should on such a small team. Lots of improvements have taken place in this area over the years, but a more clearly defined and enforced process (especially in how account and product interface and jointly-prioritize) could help.

The company also faces no small set of challenges in the marketplace. The company doesn't have the resources to make sales on name recognition alone, so finding a pricing, sales and growth strategy that is effective is a critical component of future success, but I am confident the team will get there.

Advice to Management

Change is good, but constant change can sometimes be fatiguing for a small team. Don't be afraid to stick with a specific strategy or direction a little past the point of discomfort before turning the ship. Consider asking the employees about what's working and what's not before setting the new course. Beyond this, seek to solicit the opinions and thoughts of employees outside of the Exec Committee with greater structure and frequency. When things change, people tend to have opinions about that change. Leadership should seek to know those opinions, be they good or bad.

"Nice People But Bad Communicators"

Former Employee - Social Media and Marketing Data Analyst in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Social Media and Marketing Data Analyst in Northville, MI

I worked at Digital Roots part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good environment, nice co-worker energy

Cons

Lacking communication between departments, generally only hire people if they are fit/attractive

8. "Marketing"

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Self-starter culture with employees empowered to make decisions
    Customer-centric
    Collaborative

Cons

Growing so fast, someone used to a larger, structured company could get lost

"New hire view"

Pros

They have a good product that you can be proud of providing.
    It's very stable for a startup.
    Casual environment.
    Everyone is very accessible and tries to fit both professional and personal needs. People who work here are pleasant to work with.
    You are stimulated to do better and learn, and this learning has the proportion on freedom/guidance that you need.
    It's a great place to learn and evolve as a professional.
    Their benefits package is very competitive. Facilities are good.

Cons

It's not well structured so easy to get lost on first months, in the sense of not knowing how to get something because you don't know who to ask. But every one is accessible , so ask all and eventually you get the right person.
    Equipment (laptop, WiFi, phone reception in building) should be better. It's not at the level expected from a company that works with technology.
    No snacks.

Advice to Management

Don't let equipment be bottleneck to productivity.
    Keep up the good work regarding other areas where you are doing great as listed in pros.

"Make a difference; Work with amazing people; Fun, challenging work"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Northville, MI

I have been working at Digital Roots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'd say the best thing to say about Digital Roots is that as an employee you get the opportunity to make a difference. I don't have experience with all of the various roles within the company, however I know this rings true for every position. The open culture and transparent management style ensures everyone has a say in the direction of the company. It doesn't matter if you are working sales, marketing, operations, or product development, the weekly huddles and open nature of the office ensures everyone not only can be heard but is heard.

The second best thing about Digital Roots is the people. Surrounding myself with like-minded, entrepreneurial, motivated and fun people makes the work that much more enjoyable.

Rounding out my top 3 reasons I love working at Digital Roots is that the work is fun. It really is. We get to create things, design things, optimize things - all without the shackles and red-tape of a large organization. There really is no limit to what we can do here - and given the right mentality, each and every employee has the right and ability to apply their style to their work.

Some examples that highlight the pros of various roles within the company, from my eyes:

Account Management
    + work closely with clients, helping guide their strategy and vision
    + work closely with the product development team to impact the product roadmap

Marketing
    + ability to be creative and innovative
    + close involvement with the direction and messaging of the product offerings

Software
    + agile and pragmatic development idioms
    + direct impact on client productivity and satisfaction
    + best idea wins philosophy - everyone has a say in decisions, even at the design/architectural level

Data Science / Research
    + applying and improving on cutting edge and well-tested algorithms
    + develop innovative solutions to challenging problems

Cons

The environment is different from the average 9-5 job where you clock out your "work brain" at the end of the day. The nature of working for a small company with big goals and challenges means you are often wearing multiple hats and critical to the success of the company. Some may see this as a con, as it implies a greater attachment to your work, however I see this as a pro. I believe everyone at Digital Roots agrees with me that, although this can be challenging at times, it is a far more rewarding to feel like an integral part of the success of the organization.