Digital Signal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
David Guttadauro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Smart, good team and amazing technology"

I worked at Digital Signal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's rare to work with a bunch of brilliant, good-hearted people who are also fun to be around. The best year+ of my career simply for that reason. The technology and future capability is truly amazing if in the right hands. The benefits were fantastic including healthcare, options, and free seltzer. Upper management was enjoyable to be around and often inspired me to want to be better.

Cons

The product roadmap didn't align with the sales focus. This lack of alignment led to a mismatch in capability vs. pipeline. It can still be turned around but would need a lot of investment and smart product management at the helm in a decision-making role.

Advice to Management

Product Management & Development need equal seats at the table. They need to align and define the solutions to Sales and Services to execute. The place can't run like an R&D shop if the plan is to sell solutions.

"Great technology, bad leadership"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Awesome product. Great group of engineers supporting all efforts.

Cons

CEO never in the office. No longer cared about company.

Advice to Management

Don't let mismanagement go on for years before fixing the problem.

"It's Over. They are closing their doors after 7 years of lies and deceit."

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Digital Signal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are closing there doors, the lies will finally come to an end.

Cons

He won't be incarcerated.

Advice to Management

Continue with your farming career.

"Most Dishonest Upper Management Since Enron"

Former Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Digital Signal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company possesses a ground-breaking product that is still not 100% solid, but is definitely worth it. With the RIGHT management and engineers, it can be. There were some really smart and down to earth people from the director level downwards. The benefits were above average and the compensation was competitive.

Cons

This has to be the most dishonest, corrupt, and idiotic upper management group after the Enron posse. They are not to be trusted. For instance, they got rid of an honest and pleasantly-direct high-ranking employee who was hired less than a year ago. The upper management as well as the vacuous CEO prefer dishonesty and smokescreens. This group should not be working in any managerial capacity from here on out. They only care about themselves and are not qualified for the job they currently possess. The CEO is overly and dangerously optimistic and the company is paying the hefty price as a result. There was a time when a whole technical support team was hired..."For what???" I asked. There are no customers. That team probably survived about 3 months.

Also, they recently laid off (excuse me, "furloughed," in the HR sneaky talk) the majority of the staff. How do they expect the company to last more than a month??? Which investor would be insane enough to invest? For the 3 or 4 "good" employees still there, please find alternate employment a.s.a.p. The writing has been on the wall since July 2015. Get out! Save yourselves!! If you haven't been looking for jobs since last year's layoffs, then truly you are misguided. Remember, the prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.

Advice to Management

Try honesty for a change. People would actually respect you more. Forget it. I don't think you're capable of honesty.

"Inept, untrustworthy, incompetent and useless CEO and VPs"

Former Employee - Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Digital Signal (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a promising product with some limitation, don’t over sale it to the customer and be truthful and honest about it.

Cons

Inept, untrustworthy, incompetent and useless CEO and VPs. The senior management is nothing but fraud and con artists. The CEO has shown his face in the office for past 6 months! Meanwhile 85% of workforce at DSC has been let go due to lies and scams by senior management. The customers have realized their scams; therefore, they refuse to purchase the product.
    Do NOT trust them; they will lie to you to keep you there then they will lay off within minutes.

Advice to Management

It is too late, the company is going under!

"The Best Management Around"

I worked at Digital Signal full-time

Pros

I worked at DSC for a few years as an Engineer, and I have to say, their management was extremely talented. They were very effective at pulling in more funding, and even though we didn't ship many products while I was there, we were always assured of our market value. I think the last big meeting I was at, they said we had a valuation close to $300 million dollars and growing. So there was certainly no shortage of money.

That being said, they were very efficient at handling money. They were very generous in giving stock options, and they said I would make out in the end. The raises were so much for us engineers, but we were assured it was only so we don't overspend. I only got at most 4% a year, so I can only assume the same was true for upper management. Raises also depended on what they expected and meeting those expectations, so they had really high expectations for us. I'm pretty sure the CEO only took a $1/year because he was so confident in the company. He really tried to not waste money, and I was quite impressed.

The work itself was very fascinating, and it really kept my attention. I really enjoyed my co-workers, and especially management. Some would call it micro-managing, but I called it just good old making sure I'm not making mistakes. In fact, whenever my manager or the VP of engineering was not around to check up on me, I just didn't feel confident in my work. I had a lot of good and innovative ideas, and it seems it was the right environment to do something nobody else had done before.

Management had a laser focus on getting the next software release out, so often times they didn't want to add any improvements because it might add some bugs. It was good advice. I just wish they had done more than one software release when I was there. They always said they were releasing 0.8, but it kept getting delayed. They're probably on 2.0 by now.

I'd really like to complement HR. They were just outstanding. I really felt they were concerned about the employees and they had a strong disconnect from upper management and the CEO. So I feel confident if there ever was a complaint like "The CEO is making this a hostile work environment!" or "The CEO threatened to not give me a raise because I didn't give him my sandwich!" or "The CEO threatened to punch me in the face when I disagreed with him!", HR would have promptly handled it and informed the Board of Directors. They were also very diligent in knowing what was going on in the company, not just taking what the CEO and CFO told them.

Cons

Cons? Seriously? It's the best company ever. Biggest mistake of my life when I left. I saw another opportunity, and I thought the grass was greener on the other side, but it isn't. I wanted to reapply, but they don't seem to have any job postings as of today. In ten years, when it's stock is soaring, I'll still be sour about making the mistake to leave. If only I could be so luck to still be working there.

Advice to Management

Spend a little more money on yourselves! You are just too selfless. Especially the CEO. He's always in the office. Everyday, even the weekends. Come on, go home, see your family, stop being so darn helpful.

Also, a shout out to the former CFO! Nobody could cut costs or benefits like he could!

"It was good while it lasted"

I worked at Digital Signal full-time

Pros

Unique technology that may have had a big impact in the security space. The work is generally interesting and challenging, with a modern software stack where using the latest technologies is actively encouraged. Good work environment with flexible hours, weekly lunches and various fun events. At one time, there was a great group of engineers with many good discussions over lunch. The first-line managers are very technically capable and are active contributors. I personally had a lot of freedom on setting the direction of my work and my contributions were always valued. Salaries and benefits are good for the DC area, but no bonuses and minimal options at this point.

Cons

The company has become extremely unstable, with limited funding left and no exit strategy. The senior management is opaque and ruthless, and the CEO is never around and seems to do very little. Very high turnover among the software engineers, with all the good ones leaving in 1-2 years and the management seemingly oblivious to it. Maybe they saw it coming, as 15% of the company was suddenly fired with no warning, followed by another similar layoff of 40% a few months later. Meanwhile, senior management kept hiring many others (sometimes just for a few months) and telling outright lies about the company's prospects. Secretive culture where people don't interact much outside their own teams, probably because it's so easy to get fired. No real promotions despite an excessively deep management hierarchy, although nobody wants to stay for long anyway.

Advice to Management

There is some great technology here, but you do not have anyone's trust or confidence and must be removed by the board ASAP, especially the CEO. And stop having HR post fake, one-sided reviews here. Glassdoor needs to catch on and delete them.

8. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer II in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer II in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Digital Signal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company feel. travel can be extensive but per Diem is nice to keep from Uncle Sam the tax man

Cons

Traveling to the big sand box so dry so hot

"Great technology - about to disappear"

I worked at Digital Signal full-time

Pros

Cool technology, lots of nice, dedicated employees, good benefits, HR working hard to boost morale with various events.

Cons

Technology doesn't work as well as advertised, resulting in almost no sales. CEO never present and unwilling to face reality about limitations of technology. Management always deflect responsibility and extremely secretive. Two rounds of layoffs this year - so far. Promises with job offer often not kept.

"Wtf??"

Former Employee - Senior
    Former Employee - Senior

I worked at Digital Signal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and awesome team spirit in most of the organization. Everyone was there for one reason, to succeed.

Cons

The senior executive staff have to be the worst in the industry. They failed to even understand the market and most of the business practices are bear criminal at best. They can't close deals, barely make any money, nearly fail payroll and borrowed money on empty promises in the hopes of selling the company before they ran out of money and make it someone else's problem. It's a joke of a company with fraud and pocket lining everywhere.

Advice to Management

Don't ever run another company and ruin people's lives again. Take a few ethics classes and learn how to perform real business. Think about others and not yourselves.