DigitalGlobe Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr
Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, flexible schedules, great work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• good people, fairly open communication (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No one was safe regardless of good performance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Recommended - Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) You get to work with extremely talented, creative, bright people. 2) It's exciting to do work that matters. You are not just making money; you are actually helping people. 3) In my current organization, I am given great flexibility to make really meaningful contributions. This was not always the case under my past managers, though, so it varies across the company. 4) My current management has been very flexible with work/life balance (note that this varies depending on specific leaders; this was not always a positive for me but it is now). 5) Competitive salary.

Cons

In my opinion, the cons are similar to any company I've worked at. 1) If you are fortunate enough to work for a good leader (I have been for the most part), you will love it. Not all leaders are good in any company, and DigitalGlobe is no exception. 2) You many not always agree with the overall company direction and decisions made by the highest level executives. That is not unique to DG. 3) The headquarters move from Longmont to Westminster continues to be a sore spot for many employees, as many now have painfully long commutes. But new employees are not affected, since the move is nearly complete.

Advice to Management

To management -- 1) You are making a strong and visible effort to keep the interests of the employees in mind. This requires constant work, so please keep it up. It matters. 2) Thanks for giving most of us (where possible) flexibility in working remotely, especially given the move from Longmont to Westminster.
    3) Please keep trying to improve and simplify the annual performance review process. The perception at the working level is that it's just checking an administrative box and creating a lot of unnecessary work, when employees would prefer to spend their time on their day jobs.

2. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good amount of time off.

Cons

No bonuses and always being asked to cut budgets.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on the employees and give them bonuses so they feel like they are valued.

3. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is seriously the best place I've ever worked. I think a lot of these negative reviews are from people who were let go of for a good reason and have an ax to grind. Not many people have been let go of since I started, and the ones that have have been for good reasons. Super interesting work with some of the brightest people I've ever worked with. Lots of autonomy to make decisions. I feel like my manager supports and advocates for me.

Cons

Not a lot of established processes in place, or people sort of choose not to follow them and nothing happens to them. Not a lot of hand holding or direction (whcih to me is a good thing), but if you need more structure this is probably not the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Autonomy is great, but process is simply needed sometimes.

4. "Does anyone care?"

Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Westminster, CO
    Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Ping pong tables and a nice lunch room.

Cons

Does anyone actually care about the people who work here in any capacity?

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is happening below the Manager level.

"Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Fascinating work. Some teams have established and maintained a reasonable work environment and act with integrity.

Cons

Unfortunately, this is a place where bullying is allowed to occur. The company has become focused solely on numbers and quality has suffered. I have personally seen many high performing employees forced to leave due to work politics.

Advice to Management

I would advise MDA management to examine these consistent complaints from employees closely. I have confidence that they can rebuild DG's reputation, but it will take work.

DigitalGlobe Response

Sep 8, 2017

Our goal is to have a positive work environment. We don’t tolerate bullying. If the traditional escalation paths aren’t achieving the desired results, we do offer training to help facilitate conflict... More

"don't do it."

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there aren't any pros to working here.

Cons

poor financial decisions are made to only benefit the executives. HR will protect awful employees out of fear of lawsuits. good employees will be treated like they're nothing and the company will do absolutely nothing to help them. your bonuses will be cut and your PTO will be capped but executives will keep their bonuses and move to flex time off. you will be berated for wanting to leave the company and told that you "should be thankful" that you work for DG. they claim you get 4 weeks off a year but you can't take more than 2 off at a time and you don't get any sick days. we're underpaid to a disgusting degree despite being a part of one of the only profitable products. you want a company that cares? go anywhere else. this place will destroy your soul and they won't even pay you a decent wage. they want people with multiple masters degrees but they'll offer you $19 an hour and expect you to be grateful. if you want to grow in your capabilities, make a difference in the world, or even just make enough money to live, you can make more working at walmart and you'll be valued more.

Advice to Management

pay the people that do the work, not the people that sit in meetings all day and do nothing. there's such a disconnect and "us vs. them" feeling in this place BECAUSE upper management only cares about money. there's more in this world. maybe adhere to your so-called values and you'll be better off.

7. "intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at DigitalGlobe as an intern

Pros

Great culture, flexible schedules, great work life balance

Cons

Takes people forever to respond back.

8. "System Administrator"

Current Contractor - Syse Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Syse Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great times to work from home.

Cons

None at all for now.

9. "Hightech company with a huge potential"

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Salary, compensations & benefits, work environment, code of ethics

Cons

management is a bit chaotic, keep on changing directions, cannot decide what is next

10. "Business Development Specialist"

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, culture and technology

Cons

Transparency of leadership decision making and strategy

Advice to Management

Plan a longterm strategy and compensate when goals are reached