DigitalGlobe Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr
Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Pros
  • The work/life balance is amazing and I hear very few complaints about the work itself (in 16 reviews)

• good people, fairly open communication (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No one was safe regardless of good performance (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance doesn't exist for many roles (in 4 reviews)

"Avoid If At All Possible"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool technology, great benefits, located in a beautiful area. They design and operate earth observing satellites, for Christ's sake!

Cons

A corrosive, soul-crushing culture that does not value it's employees in anyway except as it pertains to financial considerations. Not ethical in the way management and the company structure treats its own people.

Advice to Management

My advice is to delete your account. Seriously. You are not the kind of people that I would wish upon anyone to work for. The most ethically challenged management that I've yet to come across in a career of more than a quarter-century.

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you for your candid feedback. This is Grover Wray, the CHRO, and I am saddened to hear this was your experience at DigitalGlobe. Our high ethical standards are a cornerstone of our Purpose ... More

"So much potential is lost due to terrible company culture."

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Lots of very intelligent people working there. Never a dull moment. Continuous change provides many challenges. Company pays well.

Cons

The biggest con is the culture. Although it varies depending on the department, there's not enough promotion of teamwork. Eat or be eaten. Rollout of new technology is poorly done - adoption is spotty and therefore several versions of systems are used (e.g. 3 instant messaging systems were used - Spark, Lync and Skype).

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you for your feedback about DigitalGlobe. We agree, we have the best of the best working here and an exciting environment and mission. One of our core values is “We put mission and team ... More

"Senior Manager"

Pros

I enjoyed the people there, excluding executive team. Incredible CIO.

Cons

Most of the executives are passive-aggressive and do not know how to relate to their employees. Unfortunately, they like it that way. CEO walks past employees in hallway and does not even acknowledge them. COO very difficult person to work with. He's a known problem - for example, he came into a meeting and climbed up on the table and stomped his feet. Great people leave company due to difficult executive team. I hope stockholders are paying attention because these two executives will cause the company to continue to go downhill.

Advice to Management

Retire and move on and let someone come in who is able to truly run a company. The company will cease to exist if you keep going the way you are.

Nov 21, 2016

This is Grover Wray, the CHRO, and I am sorry that your experience here as an employee was less than positive. I know we aren’t perfect as a company, and we actually are taking action in response to ... More

"Soul crushing & bad career move"

Pros

Great technology, good benefits, nice building?

Cons

Here is an organization that truly wants you to build perfection out of thin air. You cannot build something with no tools and ENDLESS MEETINGS to talk about getting things done but no time to do it. All teams seem demoralized. The upper eschelon does what they want, when they want and how they want but do not DARE think that you have flexibility. They get extreme salaries and bonuses while taking the measly 10% bonus from the worker bees. It was like walking in into boxing ring every day. Management calls many meetings to do their song and dance for the minions and then sends out BS surveys and do nothing with the feedback. HR are as bad as management, some of the least relatable people in the company as they pretend to care. There is no trust in leaders or employee advocates. If they do not like your issue, calls and emails are not returned. If you can keep your mouth shut for mediocre pay and good benefits, you can ride it out if you are not laid off. The stress wears on everyone and causes unprofessional behavior and poor treatment of employees.

Advice to Management

Get it together like the 25 year old company that you are.
    I left without having another job. One of your top executives left very fast. Think about that for awhile because a lot of people have similar feelings. People worry about their job security daily. A lot of those people are looking for other jobs whether they put it on your survey or not.

"Dysfunctional Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work with intelligent people and interesting customers throughout the world
    - Your friends and other people you meet will think you have an awesome job
    - Experience looks good on your resume
    - Decent severance package when you get laid off

Cons

- Toxic company culture: it feels like a bunch of competing tribes who constantly battle one another rather than a collaborative team environment where everyone is focused on the same goal.
    - Constant layoffs and reorgs: you're almost always in one, recovering from one, or hearing rumors about the next one.
    - Regular shifts in strategic direction that ultimately lead to the same poor results.

Advice to Management

- The fact that the people on the executive team still have jobs is amazing to me. Execs always talk about how "our results matter", and we need to "provide shareholder value", but the stock price is still hovering near its historical low.
    - Instead of congratulating yourself for being the 25th best place to work in Denver (that's not very good when you think about it), fix your broken company culture. You're not going to change the business if you can't attract and keep top talent. Quit patting yourselves on the back, get out and talk to real people, and you'll see how bad the situation really is.

"Worst experience in my 20+ years of working professionally"

Current Employee - Technical Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New building. Convenient location. Decent benefits.

Cons

This is the junior high version of a corporate culture where resources are provided to the pretty boys and very little to critical processes internally. Management is very poor and there are open conflicts between departments. The culture is broken at this company and the leadership is more concerned about which color of Porsche to pick out than fixing problems that they can't see because of their own myopia.

Advice to Management

Bring in outside blood. This place is stale with outdated practices and requires the corporate version of an enema.

"Chaos, looking to leave"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly fun people to work with, good benefits, cool technology, challenging work, and satellites! Who doesn't think satellites are cool?

Cons

- too many layers of management
    - lack of direction and focus
    - undefined roles and responsibilities
    - oppressive ineffective bureaucratic change process, in fact several change processes making nearly impossible to make and implement simple changes
    - Defense Department contractor, and all the bureaucracy, red tap, and security requirement that goes along with that.
    - AT LEAST 50 logins/passwords to remember (anyone ever heard of SINGLE SIGN ON?)
    - weird culture, especially between the two Colorado locations
    - constant threat of layoffs
    - low pay
    - opportunities for advancement are non-existant
    - pay scales for various positions aren't published internally
    - HR "Business Partners" are out of touch. Been here 3 years and haven't had a single conversation with mine.
    - Constant change. Change is good when it makes you better, not so here. I had 4 bosses in less than 6 months.
    - SAFe: poor implementation of Agile
    - Thoughts, input, ideas are not appreciated
    - very little respect
    - RAMPANT distrust of management

Advice to Management

Pick a path and see it through. Eliminate about half of the VPs; and about half of the layers. Get to know the people. Remember that when you make decisions like building the Westminster office that's (directly or indirectly) led to two layoffs of about 180 people, that YOU are responsible for those people no longer being able to support themselves/their families. That should weigh HEAVY on you when making those decisions.

"No regrets"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DG does amazing work, cool technology, smart people

Cons

No work-life balance, constant reorganization and change, no time to establish strong teams or processes to be efficient or effective

Advice to Management

Take care of your good people. Be realistic about what can be accomplished!

"Disgrace to the industry! Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at DigitalGlobe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    Good benefits (4 wks PTO, numerous federal holidays, investment options, stock, paternity and maternity leave)
    Nice perks
    Interesting technology
    Good use of skills
    Teams look out for their own
    Folks at lower levels usually have good intentions but exceptions are glaring and go untreated

Cons

Too many factions vying for too little new work (highly political w/in locations, between areas of business focus, and between locations)
    Top heavy organization that favors those in HQ over remote locations to extremes (good stuff grabbed at HQ before any announcements go out, remote folk fight over scraps)
    Engineers on feature teams have long been disconnected from customers
    Too many mgmt layer proxies for customer results in "left hand doesn't know what right is doing" snits
    Conflicting direction and blame wars due to missed requirements and conversations, different heads with different needs trying to push their views
    Comm customers given lower priority in favor of chasing shiny gov't bauble. Most new features for govies only.
    Culture of "minimum to make money" rather than pursuing things to logical conclusion (fully-fleshed out features), so often shoving stuff to backlog to be forgotten or worked by people with no experience in that area far down road.
    Promise to deliver things, then get entangled with dependencies within and without so stuff not delivered or delivering not what customer wanted
    Information largely silo-ed and tends to stay that way for job security
    Incremental improvements in process and knowledge sharing has taken years longer than should, still incomplete
    Cult of Customer, yet "duty to shareholders" more important when under pressure
    Stocks fall- blame marketing and sales even though market for high end product is saturated
    Stocks rise- take all the credit, given token award, continue to ignore "little people" who made it possible (give execs pay bump, tiny raises for everyone else)
    Purpose, Vision, Values very nice, but not really implemented outside L2 level beyond giving token amts to a few charities
    Environment not collegial at all, graveyard silence over hordes of empty cubes due massive layoffs after merger
    Stated policy (no joke)- only VPs and up get offices, all else get a cube or bullpen seat
    Mixed signals: Scads of cash in contracts but still "belt tightening", hiring frozen but contract-to-hires brought in at same time, selling floor space but building new HQ at snail's pace.
    Company sets your yearly goals for you as they have to align to business goals, so individualized achievement and development largely go ignored
    Heavy reliance on a handful of foreign contractors for core code (inverted pyramid)
    "There must be an open source solution for what we need" rather than building own tools, with no governance of toolset (many science projects and personal tools floating around with little documentation)
    Hiring from without for internal vacancies higher up food chain (no consideration of internal promotion)

Pervasive fear of speaking up/honest as it is political and career suicide (think Soviet Russia)

I wrote this about 4 months ago, though their latest actions speak volumes. Morning before the earnings call, an email from the CEO goes out saying "tough decisions" are needed and to maintain 50% margins cost cutting, blah blah blah, reading between the lines its a massive layoff. DG laid off 100 employees and 55 contractors (20% of the staff) between the three locations in Colorado, California, and Virginia. California and Virginia were hit hardest. Staff were paraded into 10 min meetings with HR throughout the day before the call to be layoff before the earnings call. Each got severance, a pink slip, and one hour to clear off the premises. Some were even pulled off during a call with NGA, our primary government customer, to be laid off. All the prattle about respect and values is a load of hooey. A shock to everyone, particularly the callousness. No senior mgmt were present, instead a hatchet man was hired special for the job, someone no one had met. The lucky ones have two weeks or until the end of the month, the rest were shown the door.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow. I will celebrate when your company implodes.

"Dysfunctional Chaos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Non-management employees, and those that are not brainwashed into "Seeing a better world" mission are a pleasure to work with. Tuesday bagels and doughnuts are a plus.

Cons

I did not choose to work for DigitalGlobe, but rather was absorbed as part of their "combination" with the former GeoEye. While I'm flattered that they chose to keep me, I am disheartened by the level of chaos and overall dysfunctional ways of management. The company has an overly layered management structure and redundant departments that essentially "fight" to take away work from other departments. Management decisions pertaining to technology are short-sighted with unrealistic deadlines, which essentially gives employees anxiety only to later find out that 1) the deadline has been postponed or 2) another department has taken-over the work. This vicious cycle repeats-and-repeats until employees leave or get fired. This is not a sustainable way of operating, and will ultimately get worse before it gets better. Sure, the stock price keeps going-up, but sooner or later the company will have to deliver on their promises which requires happy employees that are very unhappy.

Advice to Management

The CEO once said in an all-hands meeting that "each question is a gift." Is it truly a gift if the employee that asks the question is walked-out the door a few days later? What about when employees are told that their jobs are "safe", but a week later a group of HR business partners fly-in to a remote office and hand-out pink slips? Is this what "integrity" and "respect" is all about?