DigitalGlobe Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr
Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, flexible schedules, great work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• good people, fairly open communication (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No one was safe regardless of good performance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Does anyone care?"

Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Westminster, CO
    Current Contractor - IT Contractor in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Ping pong tables and a nice lunch room.

Cons

Does anyone actually care about the people who work here in any capacity?

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what is happening below the Manager level.

"don't do it."

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there aren't any pros to working here.

Cons

poor financial decisions are made to only benefit the executives. HR will protect awful employees out of fear of lawsuits. good employees will be treated like they're nothing and the company will do absolutely nothing to help them. your bonuses will be cut and your PTO will be capped but executives will keep their bonuses and move to flex time off. you will be berated for wanting to leave the company and told that you "should be thankful" that you work for DG. they claim you get 4 weeks off a year but you can't take more than 2 off at a time and you don't get any sick days. we're underpaid to a disgusting degree despite being a part of one of the only profitable products. you want a company that cares? go anywhere else. this place will destroy your soul and they won't even pay you a decent wage. they want people with multiple masters degrees but they'll offer you $19 an hour and expect you to be grateful. if you want to grow in your capabilities, make a difference in the world, or even just make enough money to live, you can make more working at walmart and you'll be valued more.

Advice to Management

pay the people that do the work, not the people that sit in meetings all day and do nothing. there's such a disconnect and "us vs. them" feeling in this place BECAUSE upper management only cares about money. there's more in this world. maybe adhere to your so-called values and you'll be better off.

"Avoid If At All Possible"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool technology, great benefits, located in a beautiful area. They design and operate earth observing satellites, for Christ's sake!

Cons

A corrosive, soul-crushing culture that does not value it's employees in anyway except as it pertains to financial considerations. Not ethical in the way management and the company structure treats its own people.

Advice to Management

My advice is to delete your account. Seriously. You are not the kind of people that I would wish upon anyone to work for. The most ethically challenged management that I've yet to come across in a career of more than a quarter-century.

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you for your candid feedback. This is Grover Wray, the CHRO, and I am saddened to hear this was your experience at DigitalGlobe. Our high ethical standards are a cornerstone of our Purpose... More

"So much potential is lost due to terrible company culture."

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Lots of very intelligent people working there. Never a dull moment. Continuous change provides many challenges. Company pays well.

Cons

The biggest con is the culture. Although it varies depending on the department, there's not enough promotion of teamwork. Eat or be eaten. Rollout of new technology is poorly done - adoption is spotty and therefore several versions of systems are used (e.g. 3 instant messaging systems were used - Spark, Lync and Skype).

Nov 21, 2016

Thank you for your feedback about DigitalGlobe. We agree, we have the best of the best working here and an exciting environment and mission.

One of our core values is “We put mission and team... More

"Senior Manager"

Pros

I enjoyed the people there, excluding executive team. Incredible CIO.

Cons

Most of the executives are passive-aggressive and do not know how to relate to their employees. Unfortunately, they like it that way. CEO walks past employees in hallway and does not even acknowledge them. COO very difficult person to work with. He's a known problem - for example, he came into a meeting and climbed up on the table and stomped his feet. Great people leave company due to difficult executive team. I hope stockholders are paying attention because these two executives will cause the company to continue to go downhill.

Advice to Management

Retire and move on and let someone come in who is able to truly run a company. The company will cease to exist if you keep going the way you are.

Nov 21, 2016

This is Grover Wray, the CHRO, and I am sorry that your experience here as an employee was less than positive. I know we aren’t perfect as a company, and we actually are taking action in response to... More

"Soul crushing & bad career move"

Pros

Great technology, good benefits, nice building?

Cons

Here is an organization that truly wants you to build perfection out of thin air. You cannot build something with no tools and ENDLESS MEETINGS to talk about getting things done but no time to do it. All teams seem demoralized. The upper eschelon does what they want, when they want and how they want but do not DARE think that you have flexibility. They get extreme salaries and bonuses while taking the measly 10% bonus from the worker bees. It was like walking in into boxing ring every day. Management calls many meetings to do their song and dance for the minions and then sends out BS surveys and do nothing with the feedback. HR are as bad as management, some of the least relatable people in the company as they pretend to care. There is no trust in leaders or employee advocates. If they do not like your issue, calls and emails are not returned. If you can keep your mouth shut for mediocre pay and good benefits, you can ride it out if you are not laid off. The stress wears on everyone and causes unprofessional behavior and poor treatment of employees.

Advice to Management

Get it together like the 25 year old company that you are.
    I left without having another job. One of your top executives left very fast. Think about that for awhile because a lot of people have similar feelings. People worry about their job security daily. A lot of those people are looking for other jobs whether they put it on your survey or not.

"Dysfunctional Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work with intelligent people and interesting customers throughout the world
    - Your friends and other people you meet will think you have an awesome job
    - Experience looks good on your resume
    - Decent severance package when you get laid off

Cons

- Toxic company culture: it feels like a bunch of competing tribes who constantly battle one another rather than a collaborative team environment where everyone is focused on the same goal.
    - Constant layoffs and reorgs: you're almost always in one, recovering from one, or hearing rumors about the next one.
    - Regular shifts in strategic direction that ultimately lead to the same poor results.

Advice to Management

- The fact that the people on the executive team still have jobs is amazing to me. Execs always talk about how "our results matter", and we need to "provide shareholder value", but the stock price is still hovering near its historical low.
    - Instead of congratulating yourself for being the 25th best place to work in Denver (that's not very good when you think about it), fix your broken company culture. You're not going to change the business if you can't attract and keep top talent. Quit patting yourselves on the back, get out and talk to real people, and you'll see how bad the situation really is.

"Worst experience in my 20+ years of working professionally"

Current Employee - Technical Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New building. Convenient location. Decent benefits.

Cons

This is the junior high version of a corporate culture where resources are provided to the pretty boys and very little to critical processes internally. Management is very poor and there are open conflicts between departments. The culture is broken at this company and the leadership is more concerned about which color of Porsche to pick out than fixing problems that they can't see because of their own myopia.

Advice to Management

Bring in outside blood. This place is stale with outdated practices and requires the corporate version of an enema.

"Chaos, looking to leave"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly fun people to work with, good benefits, cool technology, challenging work, and satellites! Who doesn't think satellites are cool?

Cons

- too many layers of management
    - lack of direction and focus
    - undefined roles and responsibilities
    - oppressive ineffective bureaucratic change process, in fact several change processes making nearly impossible to make and implement simple changes
    - Defense Department contractor, and all the bureaucracy, red tap, and security requirement that goes along with that.
    - AT LEAST 50 logins/passwords to remember (anyone ever heard of SINGLE SIGN ON?)
    - weird culture, especially between the two Colorado locations
    - constant threat of layoffs
    - low pay
    - opportunities for advancement are non-existant
    - pay scales for various positions aren't published internally
    - HR "Business Partners" are out of touch. Been here 3 years and haven't had a single conversation with mine.
    - Constant change. Change is good when it makes you better, not so here. I had 4 bosses in less than 6 months.
    - SAFe: poor implementation of Agile
    - Thoughts, input, ideas are not appreciated
    - very little respect
    - RAMPANT distrust of management

Advice to Management

Pick a path and see it through. Eliminate about half of the VPs; and about half of the layers. Get to know the people. Remember that when you make decisions like building the Westminster office that's (directly or indirectly) led to two layoffs of about 180 people, that YOU are responsible for those people no longer being able to support themselves/their families. That should weigh HEAVY on you when making those decisions.

"No regrets"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

DG does amazing work, cool technology, smart people

Cons

No work-life balance, constant reorganization and change, no time to establish strong teams or processes to be efficient or effective

Advice to Management

Take care of your good people. Be realistic about what can be accomplished!