DigitalGlobe Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 30, 2017

2.0
Daniel Jablonsky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, flexible schedules, great work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Relatively good benefits, with flexible work arrangements allowed (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No one was safe regardless of good performance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management (in 7 reviews)

"Director"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Herndon, VA

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work; decent salary and benefits

Cons

Layoffs are frequent and routine; little to no employee development and mentoring; senior management is out of touch with employees, allowing BS artists to stay and loosing great talent who are honest and hard-working.

Advice to Management

It's clear that you've been clearing out excellent talent to make the balance sheet look better for your sale to MDA, leaving only a shell of the company for the new owner and leaping out with your golden parachutes. For any who remain, invest in your people, hold managers accountable, and do everything to keep and develop those employees who are routinely successful.

"Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Fascinating work. Some teams have established and maintained a reasonable work environment and act with integrity.

Cons

Unfortunately, this is a place where bullying is allowed to occur. The company has become focused solely on numbers and quality has suffered. I have personally seen many high performing employees forced to leave due to work politics.

Advice to Management

I would advise MDA management to examine these consistent complaints from employees closely. I have confidence that they can rebuild DG's reputation, but it will take work.

Sep 8, 2017

Our goal is to have a positive work environment. We don’t tolerate bullying. If the traditional escalation paths aren’t achieving the desired results, we do offer training to help facilitate conflict... More

"Proceed with Caution!"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Great people, great mission, good benefits.

Cons

The company's commitment to it's employees is reprehensible. Many of their long term plans are short sighted and not thoroughly thought through. "Purpose Vision Values" is the company motto, but every time I hear that, I have to groan when I think of the skilled and valued employees who have been unceremoniously and undeservedly let go. "Ready, Fire, Aim" would be a much more appropriate motto, especially as it relates to new products being released, aquiring Geoeye, moving to the way too big and fancy building in Westminster. HR is also unaware or unconcerned as to what is going on within certain team/management structures. Increasingly, the primary concern has been numbers and the bottom line (which is always important in business), but unfortunately, quality and employee morale is suffering greatly. I have worked here since 2003 and these issues have always been present, but they get increasingly worse every year. Despite good benefits, salaries are out of line for the industry/region.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially those in the trenches and not just power hungry management who are only concerned with their own self serving agenda. The company is very top heavy with senior VPs that in many cases offer little to no value to the company.

Sep 8, 2017

We are committed to treating people with respect. It’s a core value at DG. The reasons behind some high-level decisions we make may not be obvious at the time. But over time, we believe the company... More

"Not the greatest place to work"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture for the most part, diverse workforce, good health benefits, Nextera is a game changer. Employee kudo's/reward system is unique and works pretty well. Used to pay for training, but that seems to have stopped the last few years. Your mileage may vary. You will not find a smarter and more talented group of people anywhere.

Cons

Compensation for some areas is WELL below industry standards. It was impossible to stay competitive while employed there. Every job offer I recieved once I began looking was for the same job, but paid 20-50k more. This is not an exaggeration. 9/80's or alternate work schedules are impossible unless you work around the system and commit timecard fraud. Don't let them trick you with FTO. HR does NOT understand alternate work schedules or care and executive level stated they don't want employees working alternate work schedules.

It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management. Numerous co-workers have had to leave early after interactions with the customer or management which left them in tears, visibly shaking in anger, or completely demotivated and demoralized. Almost zero support in nearly every instance. As an anecdote, I witnessed and reported blatant and offensive sexual discrimination by a customer which was promptly swept under the rug. I would suggest if you are a female and applying for a position here where you interface with the government, SERIOUSLY reconsider. The situation has gotten better, but it is still hostile and you will be dealing with it on your own.

Upper management is completely inaccessible to nearly everyone.
    I was not able to trust my direct management at all. There were unstated, unclear, and constantly shifting expectations, and an unwillingness to communicate or provide feedback even when directly asked for it. Speaking up for myself, even to just to privately and professionally state my reasons for disagreeing on something simply to clear the air resulted in my management taking it as a personal attack and retaliating against me via my performance review. This was experienced by everyone on the team, and we all agreed the only solution was to simply not speak our minds or discuss anything with our manager. The work required to move to a higher level on performance evals is significant, however the reward is a .5% raise. Pair that with no bonuses and you have next to zero tangible incentives or rewards for higher levels of performance.

On a corporate level the company is like any other company. The bottom line quarter to quarter is the main driving factor in all decisions. Nearly impossible to get anything prioritized that does not directly map to money. Makes sense in many cases, but when you are talking about infosec, you really should at least make sure you have a halfway decent posture to begin with. Instead Infosec had next to zero priority and was almost entirely reactive. The same mentality applies to several other major areas across the company. Glad they are getting bought by MDA as I am not too confident in their ability to make it much past 2020 without a crutch.

Advice to Management

Not my job to tell you how to manage a company. Figure it out or hire a consultant.

Sep 8, 2017

This is Grover Wray, CHRO. We offer DigitalGlobe employees options if they do not get resolution from their manager or leadership team in ethically ambiguous situations. One is the Whistleblower... More

"All about the top"

Pros

Nice building and decent co-workers

Cons

Constant change in strategy causes a lack of loyalty and causes a lack of direction

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it

"Once great, now ..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There used to be a lot of really smart people. Some of them are still there.

Cons

Management has no clue who are the contributors and who are the drones.
    Buying GeoEye was a catastrophe, but the people who made the decision to do it got off scot-free. Many of the best people left - a number were bought out because the financials post-merger were bad, others left because the environment became toxic.

Advice to Management

Figure out who your non-governmental customers are and should be.

"Good Work/Life Balance Monotonous, Uneven Payscale"

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Digitalglobe has great benefits and work/life balance compared to most companies. Very generous vacation package, freedom to create your own schedule, and many free lunches, dinners, and happy hours (depending on department).

Cons

If your in production you will do the same boring, monotonous work over and over again. You will NOT be doing remote sensing or analysis of any kind. The software and tools are propitiatory and are not good enough to get the amount of work done that's needed. You will have an average of 1-2 hour long meetings per day making it difficult to get anything done. Nearly all these meetings could've been summed up in an email!

One hand doesn't know what the other's doing. You will constantly told to drop everything you are doing in order to get this "very important" project done immediately. Then the next day you'll be told to stand down after you wasted all that time working on it.

Many people are hungry to move up the ladder, and will do anything to do so. They will push their work on you, and take credit for it, or stab you in the back when it's wrong. Unless you play the "game" you will not get promoted. There is a lot of nepotism as well. There's many examples of individuals coming in with no experience that get management or lead positions that are friends with people of power. Pay is also uneven. You'll have one Production Coordinator with 5 years experience making 46,000/yr and another with 1 year experience making 50,000/yr.

The CEO and VP's are practically worthless as well. They know nothing about the business, and are a bunch Ivy League politician types in suits talking about "Change" and "Purpose, Vision, and Values". They are constantly reorganizing and cutting working staff and going "Lean". But, for some reason they're always hiring new VP's that make upwards of half million dollars per year that do who knows what.

Advice to Management

Help us get better software and tools to get large scale production done. Stop hiring your friends. Fight for an even pay scale. Stop with the unnecessary meetings!

"Unless you can't find other work, don't go there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fascinating work and some really great people.

Cons

People are treated as commodities, not real live human beings. If you manage to pull off a miracle everyone loves you but getting to that point is more than difficult. Too many projects have to start as "skunk works" because management isn't willing to take the risks that actually supporting a project would involve. And when they do, it becomes bloated and over complicated way too fast - it is the worst development environment I've ever seen. Too many managers and directors are more interested in empire building than in finding the best way to get things done. It can become depressing.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in so many "outside experts" and consultants and start trusting the people who actually understand the business. DG is NOT Amazon and what works there can never work in a world that requires the precision necessary to maintain spacecraft in orbit.

"They try, but fail miserably at times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people to work with there. They try to really promote work/home balance in certain departments. They always promote team building events, innovation and thinking outside the box. DG has great benefits and PTO plan.

Cons

They really do try, but fail miserably at times. Benefits are great, but compensation seems to lack from the rest of the market out there, with prices in Denver metro area going up the salary seems to remain the same. People who receive the "Seeing a Better World" award are those folks that work 60 to 70 hours a week, never those who do a fantasic job by getting their work done and then some in 40 hours a week.
    Recently, the CHRO Grover Wray stated "I am not going to tell you how to vote, but if amendment 69 gets passed, DigitalGlobe will not longer be able to afford to have health insurance for our employees". I was shocked when I heard him say this! They spent a huge amount of money on ridiculous things for their satellite launch like glasses, little toys, and such and they cannot afford health insurance if amendment 69 gets passed? And how is that not telling us how to vote? It sounded like a threat to me.

Advice to Management

Keep politics out of the business. Spend less money on ridiculously large buildings that actually made commute times longer for a lot of folks. Stop paying mileage reimbursement for those folks who's home office is Westminster, but have to commute up to Longmont twice a month for doing their work and supporting our largest customer. Stop allowing certain folks run a nearly $800 cell phone bill every month just because they are C level or sales. Stop allowing certain teams and individuals get away with unethical things and shear laziness and STOP threating to take away our health care plan by telling us if an amendment that would give health care to the under privileged gets passed the rest of us will be out of luck.

Nov 7, 2016

This is Grover Wray, and I want to thank you for your candid feedback. We take a lot of pride in the benefits we offer to employees. With our 2017 medical benefits, I am particularly proud that we... More

"Demanding Company"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Work from home, decent salary, exciting industry, positive impacts for society

Cons

Lack of management support, expect 24/7 work hours, brutal work environment and culture, lack of disciplined structure and always striving for change with re-orgs that do not result in efficient positive changes. Culture appears to mainly care about company profits and hitting quarterly numbers.