DigitalGlobe Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr
Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Pros
  • Good work/life balance despite the sometimes high work load (in 18 reviews)

• good people, fairly open communication (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No one was safe regardless of good performance (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance doesn't exist for many roles (in 4 reviews)

"Once great, now ..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There used to be a lot of really smart people. Some of them are still there.

Cons

Management has no clue who are the contributors and who are the drones.
    Buying GeoEye was a catastrophe, but the people who made the decision to do it got off scot-free. Many of the best people left - a number were bought out because the financials post-merger were bad, others left because the environment became toxic.

Advice to Management

Figure out who your non-governmental customers are and should be.

"Unless you can't find other work, don't go there"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fascinating work and some really great people.

Cons

People are treated as commodities, not real live human beings. If you manage to pull off a miracle everyone loves you but getting to that point is more than difficult. Too many projects have to start as "skunk works" because management isn't willing to take the risks that actually supporting a project would involve. And when they do, it becomes bloated and over complicated way too fast - it is the worst development environment I've ever seen. Too many managers and directors are more interested in empire building than in finding the best way to get things done. It can become depressing.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in so many "outside experts" and consultants and start trusting the people who actually understand the business. DG is NOT Amazon and what works there can never work in a world that requires the precision necessary to maintain spacecraft in orbit.

"They try, but fail miserably at times"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people to work with there. They try to really promote work/home balance in certain departments. They always promote team building events, innovation and thinking outside the box. DG has great benefits and PTO plan.

Cons

They really do try, but fail miserably at times. Benefits are great, but compensation seems to lack from the rest of the market out there, with prices in Denver metro area going up the salary seems to remain the same. People who receive the "Seeing a Better World" award are those folks that work 60 to 70 hours a week, never those who do a fantasic job by getting their work done and then some in 40 hours a week.
    Recently, the CHRO Grover Wray stated "I am not going to tell you how to vote, but if amendment 69 gets passed, DigitalGlobe will not longer be able to afford to have health insurance for our employees". I was shocked when I heard him say this! They spent a huge amount of money on ridiculous things for their satellite launch like glasses, little toys, and such and they cannot afford health insurance if amendment 69 gets passed? And how is that not telling us how to vote? It sounded like a threat to me.

Advice to Management

Keep politics out of the business. Spend less money on ridiculously large buildings that actually made commute times longer for a lot of folks. Stop paying mileage reimbursement for those folks who's home office is Westminster, but have to commute up to Longmont twice a month for doing their work and supporting our largest customer. Stop allowing certain folks run a nearly $800 cell phone bill every month just because they are C level or sales. Stop allowing certain teams and individuals get away with unethical things and shear laziness and STOP threating to take away our health care plan by telling us if an amendment that would give health care to the under privileged gets passed the rest of us will be out of luck.

DigitalGlobe Response

Nov 7, 2016

This is Grover Wray, and I want to thank you for your candid feedback. We take a lot of pride in the benefits we offer to employees. With our 2017 medical benefits, I am particularly proud that we ... More

"Buyer Beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology for customers, small company with less process, and mission focused.

Cons

The internal technology has room for improvement. Their IT support team is not very good, slow, and couldn't seem to fix the most basic things. And, the IT support center is actually outsourced to another company of contractors. The Software Developers in the VA office are difficult to work with and at times obnoxious and rude. The executives mean well, but have no concept of how a real federal contractor should operate.

Advice to Management

Take lessons from the big boys! And, don't take yourself so seriously.

"Tampa Office - Good, Corporate DG not so much"

Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Geospatial Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great colleagues with plenty of knowledge regarding geospatial analysis and data development
    - Good location in downtown Tampa

Cons

- Management slow to implement changes
    - Don't recognize the talent that employees have and employ them in manner that is truly meaningful
    - Care more about the bottom line profit than the development of own staff

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they have something that can provide meaningful development for the company. You do not realize the talent that you have and you must become more innovative with the huge amount of resources available to you. There needs to be a greater connection between corporate and regional offices. Feels like the corporate structure of the company is hindering any further business opportunities.

"Meh"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Broomfield, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was - once - a great place to work. From what I gather now the place has changed so much as to unrecognizable to the company I once worked for - sad to see.

Cons

At the time the only downside was the location in Longmont - that has since changed with their new digs in Broomfield.

Advice to Management

I dont know them or the business any more so I have no advice to give.

"I wish I liked this job... It was a truly amazing opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe (Less than a year)

Pros

Really amazing business model and innovative technology.

Cons

In my interview, I was warned that the company makes satellites really well, everything else not so well. I should have listened. The employee dysfunction of the department I was in was unbearable. Lying, manipulation and general meanness was rampant.

Advice to Management

Godspeed. Honestly if I were you I would fire a majority of the people I worked with, start entirely from scratch. I hope things got better.

"Little to No Integrity from Leadership"

Former Employee - All Source Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - All Source Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, good work-life balance

Cons

Lack of integrity from Leadership, coupled with continuous layoffs made this place seem like more of a game of survivor. You never saw it coming until you got that email from HR calling you to the carpet so to speak. No one was safe regardless of good performance. Things were a lot better prior to the merger with GeoEye.

Advice to Management

You owe it to your employees to demonstrate your so-called value of integrity. I suggest you open a dictionary and look the word up for starters before demanding it from those that cover your 6 to both your government and commercial customers day in and day out.

"In need of serious help starting at the top"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow employees are some of the best people I have ever worked with. Very intelligent, driven, and willing to go they extra mile; which is proven by all of them continuing to support all the initiatives with less personnel.

Cons

C level leadership has no idea what culture is and how to drive it. "Culture of Leadership" is a joke. The true leaders in this company are leaving for jobs where they can be appreciated and leveraged for their skills while the lack luster leaders stay in place and continue to be ineffective. DigitalGlobe is good at rewarding task managers but has no clue how to reward people managers for developing their direct reports. If you are self motivated and have a breadth of resources for mentorship outside the walls of DigitalGlobe, you might succeed here, but I still doubt it.
    Other facets of the culture are lacking as well. DigitalGlobe is the culture-less culture, led by an insincere Chief of HR; and the rest of the C level doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to build one.
    DigitalGlobe has a culture, the leadership just needs to honest about it and embrace it. Layoffs are the norm. VP and above heavy company with no ownership or responsibility at that level, but tons of opportunities. Life gets better for the director and above personnel while life gets tougher for the senior manager and below levels. CEO still in place after driving the stock price from the $40s to the low teens over the last 4 years, and I would imagine he will receive a hefty bonus again this year.

Advice to Management

Your staff is tired and overworked, taking on more and more every day in firm belief that this company is worth something. Find a way to LISTEN to them, and do something that benefits them, not you. Lead by example. Mission and team before self, part of your culture, try it on for size some time.

"Great Benefits, but Poor Leadership Drives Poor Culture and Poor Decisions"

Current Employee - Senior Business Process Analyst in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Process Analyst in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful facility, great benefits, constantly changing and challenging work. Great people to work with.

Cons

5 rounds of layoffs in 12 months is not good. Especially when they come from the bottom. Everyone in constant fear of losing their jobs. Far too many levels of leadership. Have a leadership structure of a company 5 times its size. New people like the company, those that have been there for 5+ years don't believe when they change or have a reorg and say, "this time is different". Minimal avenues of communication to leadership for fear of losing jobs and politics. Leadership is reluctant to open these lines of honest communication in fear of what truths will be spoken. This has created a very poor culture, when the leaders don't want to listen to their people on the ground level that drive the company. Vision and business model changes annually. Executive team creates an environment that drives dysfunction.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees. The truth may be hard to swallow but it will build trust and a good culture which is currently absent. DigitalGlobe CAN be an amazing company. But the root cause, the leadership team, will need to change drastically.