DigitalGlobe Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr
Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance despite the sometimes high work load (in 19 reviews)

• good people, fairly open communication (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No one was safe regardless of good performance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management (in 7 reviews)

"Proceed with Caution!"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Great people, great mission, good benefits.

Cons

The company's commitment to it's employees is reprehensible. Many of their long term plans are short sighted and not thoroughly thought through. "Purpose Vision Values" is the company motto, but every time I hear that, I have to groan when I think of the skilled and valued employees who have been unceremoniously and undeservedly let go. "Ready, Fire, Aim" would be a much more appropriate motto, especially as it relates to new products being released, aquiring Geoeye, moving to the way too big and fancy building in Westminster. HR is also unaware or unconcerned as to what is going on within certain team/management structures. Increasingly, the primary concern has been numbers and the bottom line (which is always important in business), but unfortunately, quality and employee morale is suffering greatly. I have worked here since 2003 and these issues have always been present, but they get increasingly worse every year. Despite good benefits, salaries are out of line for the industry/region.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially those in the trenches and not just power hungry management who are only concerned with their own self serving agenda. The company is very top heavy with senior VPs that in many cases offer little to no value to the company.

2. "Not the greatest place to work"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture for the most part, diverse workforce, good health benefits, Nextera is a game changer. Employee kudo's/reward system is unique and works pretty well. Used to pay for training, but that seems to have stopped the last few years. Your mileage may vary. You will not find a smarter and more talented group of people anywhere.

Cons

Compensation for some areas is WELL below industry standards. It was impossible to stay competitive while employed there. Every job offer I recieved once I began looking was for the same job, but paid 20-50k more. This is not an exaggeration. 9/80's or alternate work schedules are impossible unless you work around the system and commit timecard fraud. Don't let them trick you with FTO. HR does NOT understand alternate work schedules or care and executive level stated they don't want employees working alternate work schedules.

It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management. Numerous co-workers have had to leave early after interactions with the customer or management which left them in tears, visibly shaking in anger, or completely demotivated and demoralized. Almost zero support in nearly every instance. As an anecdote, I witnessed and reported blatant and offensive sexual discrimination by a customer which was promptly swept under the rug. I would suggest if you are a female and applying for a position here where you interface with the government, SERIOUSLY reconsider. The situation has gotten better, but it is still hostile and you will be dealing with it on your own.

Upper management is completely inaccessible to nearly everyone.
    I was not able to trust my direct management at all. There were unstated, unclear, and constantly shifting expectations, and an unwillingness to communicate or provide feedback even when directly asked for it. Speaking up for myself, even to just to privately and professionally state my reasons for disagreeing on something simply to clear the air resulted in my management taking it as a personal attack and retaliating against me via my performance review. This was experienced by everyone on the team, and we all agreed the only solution was to simply not speak our minds or discuss anything with our manager. The work required to move to a higher level on performance evals is significant, however the reward is a .5% raise. Pair that with no bonuses and you have next to zero tangible incentives or rewards for higher levels of performance.

On a corporate level the company is like any other company. The bottom line quarter to quarter is the main driving factor in all decisions. Nearly impossible to get anything prioritized that does not directly map to money. Makes sense in many cases, but when you are talking about infosec, you really should at least make sure you have a halfway decent posture to begin with. Instead Infosec had next to zero priority and was almost entirely reactive. The same mentality applies to several other major areas across the company. Glad they are getting bought by MDA as I am not too confident in their ability to make it much past 2020 without a crutch.

Advice to Management

Not my job to tell you how to manage a company. Figure it out or hire a consultant.

3. "Innovative Company Doing Inspiring Things"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, excellent benefits, the work is inspiring and work force is intelligent and united by a common purpose.

Cons

Because it is such a large company, it can hard to make yourself stand out and advance quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employee development and focus on maintaining competitive advantage against rising competition.

4. "DigitalGlobe"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Great products that really saved lives at times

Cons

Never really figured out commercial product roadmaps or commercial growth

5. "Imagery Support Representative"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Really cool industry and interesting customers

Cons

Communication really needs to be improved

"All about the top"

Pros

Nice building and decent co-workers

Cons

Constant change in strategy causes a lack of loyalty and causes a lack of direction

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it

7. "High Level Info"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

The industry and subject matter (satellite imagery) is always interesting.

Cons

The work, like most places, can become repetitive at times.

Advice to Management

Be open to the ideas of the people that work for you. They are in the trenches.

"Once great, now ..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There used to be a lot of really smart people. Some of them are still there.

Cons

Management has no clue who are the contributors and who are the drones.
    Buying GeoEye was a catastrophe, but the people who made the decision to do it got off scot-free. Many of the best people left - a number were bought out because the financials post-merger were bad, others left because the environment became toxic.

Advice to Management

Figure out who your non-governmental customers are and should be.

9. "Hightech company with a huge potential"

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Salary, compensations & benefits, work environment, code of ethics

Cons

management is a bit chaotic, keep on changing directions, cannot decide what is next

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people there are awesome. Very smart, hardworking, everyone seems to have a sense of pride in what they do. Interesting work. Good work/life balance despite the sometimes high work load. Everyone in my group gets along really well and works great together. Really nice building in a great location with a great little cafeteria inside.

Cons

Seems to be a general lack of accountability for people who don't do their jobs. Seems like it's pretty hard to get fired or disciplined there.