DigitalGlobe Reviews | Glassdoor

DigitalGlobe Reviews

Updated December 1, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, flexible schedules, great work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Relatively good benefits, with flexible work arrangements allowed (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No one was safe regardless of good performance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management (in 7 reviews)

1. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is seriously the best place I've ever worked. I think a lot of these negative reviews are from people who were let go of for a good reason and have an ax to grind. Not many people have been let go of since I started, and the ones that have have been for good reasons. Super interesting work with some of the brightest people I've ever worked with. Lots of autonomy to make decisions. I feel like my manager supports and advocates for me.

Cons

Not a lot of established processes in place, or people sort of choose not to follow them and nothing happens to them. Not a lot of hand holding or direction (whcih to me is a good thing), but if you need more structure this is probably not the best place for you.

Advice to Management

Autonomy is great, but process is simply needed sometimes.

"Director"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Herndon, VA

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work; decent salary and benefits

Cons

Layoffs are frequent and routine; little to no employee development and mentoring; senior management is out of touch with employees, allowing BS artists to stay and loosing great talent who are honest and hard-working.

Advice to Management

It's clear that you've been clearing out excellent talent to make the balance sheet look better for your sale to MDA, leaving only a shell of the company for the new owner and leaping out with your golden parachutes. For any who remain, invest in your people, hold managers accountable, and do everything to keep and develop those employees who are routinely successful.

"Political"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Relatively good benefits, with flexible work arrangements allowed

Cons

Very political and bureaucratic for a young and mid sized company.
    Senior leaders were not in touch with the day to day operations
    Senior leaders tried unsuccessfully to develop a commercial model, outside of various government organizations.
    Regular culling of employees, does not help people feel safe in their jobs

"Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Fascinating work. Some teams have established and maintained a reasonable work environment and act with integrity.

Cons

Unfortunately, this is a place where bullying is allowed to occur. The company has become focused solely on numbers and quality has suffered. I have personally seen many high performing employees forced to leave due to work politics.

Advice to Management

I would advise MDA management to examine these consistent complaints from employees closely. I have confidence that they can rebuild DG's reputation, but it will take work.

Sep 8, 2017

Our goal is to have a positive work environment. We don’t tolerate bullying. If the traditional escalation paths aren’t achieving the desired results, we do offer training to help facilitate conflict... More

"don't do it."

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there aren't any pros to working here.

Cons

poor financial decisions are made to only benefit the executives. HR will protect awful employees out of fear of lawsuits. good employees will be treated like they're nothing and the company will do absolutely nothing to help them. your bonuses will be cut and your PTO will be capped but executives will keep their bonuses and move to flex time off. you will be berated for wanting to leave the company and told that you "should be thankful" that you work for DG. they claim you get 4 weeks off a year but you can't take more than 2 off at a time and you don't get any sick days. we're underpaid to a disgusting degree despite being a part of one of the only profitable products. you want a company that cares? go anywhere else. this place will destroy your soul and they won't even pay you a decent wage. they want people with multiple masters degrees but they'll offer you $19 an hour and expect you to be grateful. if you want to grow in your capabilities, make a difference in the world, or even just make enough money to live, you can make more working at walmart and you'll be valued more.

Advice to Management

pay the people that do the work, not the people that sit in meetings all day and do nothing. there's such a disconnect and "us vs. them" feeling in this place BECAUSE upper management only cares about money. there's more in this world. maybe adhere to your so-called values and you'll be better off.

"Proceed with Caution!"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Great people, great mission, good benefits.

Cons

The company's commitment to it's employees is reprehensible. Many of their long term plans are short sighted and not thoroughly thought through. "Purpose Vision Values" is the company motto, but every time I hear that, I have to groan when I think of the skilled and valued employees who have been unceremoniously and undeservedly let go. "Ready, Fire, Aim" would be a much more appropriate motto, especially as it relates to new products being released, aquiring Geoeye, moving to the way too big and fancy building in Westminster. HR is also unaware or unconcerned as to what is going on within certain team/management structures. Increasingly, the primary concern has been numbers and the bottom line (which is always important in business), but unfortunately, quality and employee morale is suffering greatly. I have worked here since 2003 and these issues have always been present, but they get increasingly worse every year. Despite good benefits, salaries are out of line for the industry/region.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially those in the trenches and not just power hungry management who are only concerned with their own self serving agenda. The company is very top heavy with senior VPs that in many cases offer little to no value to the company.

Sep 8, 2017

We are committed to treating people with respect. It’s a core value at DG. The reasons behind some high-level decisions we make may not be obvious at the time. But over time, we believe the company... More

"Not the greatest place to work"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture for the most part, diverse workforce, good health benefits, Nextera is a game changer. Employee kudo's/reward system is unique and works pretty well. Used to pay for training, but that seems to have stopped the last few years. Your mileage may vary. You will not find a smarter and more talented group of people anywhere.

Cons

Compensation for some areas is WELL below industry standards. It was impossible to stay competitive while employed there. Every job offer I recieved once I began looking was for the same job, but paid 20-50k more. This is not an exaggeration. 9/80's or alternate work schedules are impossible unless you work around the system and commit timecard fraud. Don't let them trick you with FTO. HR does NOT understand alternate work schedules or care and executive level stated they don't want employees working alternate work schedules.

It is a very hostile work environment at times, coming both from the customer and management. Numerous co-workers have had to leave early after interactions with the customer or management which left them in tears, visibly shaking in anger, or completely demotivated and demoralized. Almost zero support in nearly every instance. As an anecdote, I witnessed and reported blatant and offensive sexual discrimination by a customer which was promptly swept under the rug. I would suggest if you are a female and applying for a position here where you interface with the government, SERIOUSLY reconsider. The situation has gotten better, but it is still hostile and you will be dealing with it on your own.

Upper management is completely inaccessible to nearly everyone.
    I was not able to trust my direct management at all. There were unstated, unclear, and constantly shifting expectations, and an unwillingness to communicate or provide feedback even when directly asked for it. Speaking up for myself, even to just to privately and professionally state my reasons for disagreeing on something simply to clear the air resulted in my management taking it as a personal attack and retaliating against me via my performance review. This was experienced by everyone on the team, and we all agreed the only solution was to simply not speak our minds or discuss anything with our manager. The work required to move to a higher level on performance evals is significant, however the reward is a .5% raise. Pair that with no bonuses and you have next to zero tangible incentives or rewards for higher levels of performance.

On a corporate level the company is like any other company. The bottom line quarter to quarter is the main driving factor in all decisions. Nearly impossible to get anything prioritized that does not directly map to money. Makes sense in many cases, but when you are talking about infosec, you really should at least make sure you have a halfway decent posture to begin with. Instead Infosec had next to zero priority and was almost entirely reactive. The same mentality applies to several other major areas across the company. Glad they are getting bought by MDA as I am not too confident in their ability to make it much past 2020 without a crutch.

Advice to Management

Not my job to tell you how to manage a company. Figure it out or hire a consultant.

Sep 8, 2017

This is Grover Wray, CHRO. We offer DigitalGlobe employees options if they do not get resolution from their manager or leadership team in ethically ambiguous situations. One is the Whistleblower... More

"Innovative Company Doing Inspiring Things"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, excellent benefits, the work is inspiring and work force is intelligent and united by a common purpose.

Cons

Because it is such a large company, it can hard to make yourself stand out and advance quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employee development and focus on maintaining competitive advantage against rising competition.

"DigitalGlobe"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

Great products that really saved lives at times

Cons

Never really figured out commercial product roadmaps or commercial growth

"High Level Info"

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time

Pros

The industry and subject matter (satellite imagery) is always interesting.

Cons

The work, like most places, can become repetitive at times.

Advice to Management

Be open to the ideas of the people that work for you. They are in the trenches.