Cover image for DigitalOcean

78 Comments

Tech

638.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=DigitalOcean~823482
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about DigitalOcean? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with DigitalOcean employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DigitalOcean and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great

Sep 30, 2022 - Sr. Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the company and its values.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work with caveats

Nov 15, 2022 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent learning experience, you're writing code to serve other developers, so you run into a lot of really interesting problems that can really help you in your career. The people are awesome, there's really a cohesive culture here. The tech stack is (at the time of this writing) the industry standard, so you will be able to move around easily after your tenure here. Management will support your professional growth, you can opt to go to conventions, speak at conferences... etc. They are remote first, (and always have been). Most teams have a robust process for SDLC, which is great for getting a lot of input and feedback from your team and others in the org.

Cons

The comp isn't there for companies of this size. If you were there pre-IPO, you were set up pretty well. If you started post-IPO the stock grants are pretty pitiful. They don't have a contingency plan for retaining employees past their four year mark. They removed a 2.5 yr refresh a few years ago in favor of performance based refreshes, and those have been pretty small. WLB used to be excellent, but they recently removed recharge days off that were universally popular. Leadership tends to switch positions pretty quickly and isn't very transparent on their decision making process when it suits them. AUA's have gone from having legitimate critiques inspiring real change at the company to leadership defending their positions.

5 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the DigitalOcean team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

DigitalOcean - great place to work!!

Sep 22, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer II in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loads of appreciation felt for the work I do on the team. Tons of "DOLove" shared with employees that's "baked into" the culture here. Definitely cutting edge tech combined with highly industry-relevant work with personal instant opportunity to positively effect customers with the work that I do. Senior management that really cares about employees and really cares about creating an excellent, focused strategy for DO that's based on customer research. Fully remote work opportunities. Great benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

There are challenges with a fully remote work environment, particularly around building relationships. But this is not isolated to DO these days. Honestly, I have not hit any real issues working at DO yet. I'm very pleased.

5. 2.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Hiring process is very very slow and unprofessional

Sep 15, 2022 - Data Center Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I haven't worked here but was super interested to work but unfortunately the recruiter I was working with is unprofessional and damn slow. He started low balling me. Lost my interest. Except that, the team members I spoke with during the interview was really good and supportive.

Cons

The hiring process is damn slow and frustrating. The Recruiter started low balling the offer after going though 4-5 rounds on interview. Well, you can offer low salary (based on experience, edu & other factors) that's not an issue at all but here the recruiter initially agreed for a pay rate, then after the interview we discussed the base pay, stocks, benefits etc and then after few days the recruiter came back and offered a low pay, isn't this unprofessional? Very unprofessional and they are taking weeks, months to get the feedback from the hiring team? Who is gonna wait that long?

6. 5.0

Great environment

Oct 21, 2021 - Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teams are very supportive of one another. Management encourages individual growth and goals, whether it's on your own team or to further your own career. Everyone seems to be willing to help each other out in order to solve problems and I've never been afraid to ask others for help on things where I did not know enough on my own. On my team and across some of the teams that I have personally worked with, I have felt a lot of love and support. The benefits are also pretty great. You get a lot of time off depending on what country you're working out of, hours are flexible depending on the team that you're on, the stipends are nice and helpful, the insurance is pretty good, and paternal leave is very generous. The company really does take care of their staff. Managers that I have worked with will take the time to listen to you and offer you help when you need it. They encourage you to take the time to learn new skills and really develop where you are. It's the kind of place where you would want to stay for your entire career.

Cons

It's a relatively small company that's growing pretty quickly. It's easy to see the areas where the company is being stretched a bit thin and trying to make things work. Sometimes it takes some time to get things rolling, but once it does, people seem keen on seeing things through to the end. A lot of teams like to overcomplicate their processes which doesn't allow for a lot of transparency, but it seems that this is something that the company is attempting to fix.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic place to work as a trans person!

Sep 23, 2022 - Engineer I in Lexington, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic ERGs Queer friendly Amazing teams

Cons

Growing company Re-orgs Profit focused CEO

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing culture + work-life balance!

Aug 16, 2022 - Software Engineer I
    Business Outlook

Pros

Having an amazing time being apart of DO and their company culture has been unmatched so far! Love how supportive everyone is and it seems to be such a genuine community :)

Cons

none I can think of

9. 4.0

Great company!

Oct 17, 2022 - Engineering Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Digital Ocean is a great company to work at. Great benefits and work life balance.

Cons

Overall great company to work at but still maturing.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee

Not the best experience

Oct 24, 2022 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great colleagues/teams, super friendly and makes the environment awesome to work in.

Cons

Poor management. Not looking out for their employees, only looking out for the business.

11. 5.0
    Current Intern

best company culture

Jul 28, 2022 - Software Engineering Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

everyone at DO is so nice, encouraging, and helpful! It exceeds all expectations I had for a company and raises a new bar in terms of culture and work-life balance.

Cons

I have no cons here.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 105 Reviews
</>Embed

DigitalOcean Reviews FAQs

Engineer professionals working at DigitalOcean have rated their employer with 4.2 out of 5 stars in 105 Glassdoor reviews. This is a lower than average score with the overall rating of DigitalOcean employees being 4.3 out of 5 stars. Search open Engineer Jobs at DigitalOcean now and start preparing for your job interview by browsing frequently asked Engineer interview questions at DigitalOcean.

Engineer professionals rate their compensation and benefits at DigitalOcean with 4.1 out of 5 stars based on 105 anonymously submitted employee reviews. This is 7.1% worse than the company average rating for salary and benefits. Find out more about Engineer salaries and benefits at DigitalOcean.

89% of Engineer employees at DigitalOcean would recommend their employer to a friend. This rating has decreased by -8% in the past 12 months. Engineer professionals have also rated DigitalOcean with a 4.3 rating for work-life-balance, 4.5 rating for diversity and inclusion, 4.4 rating for culture and values and 4.2 rating for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with DigitalOcean Job Seekers