Cover image for DigitalOcean

78 Comments

Tech

638.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=DigitalOcean~823482
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about DigitalOcean? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with DigitalOcean employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of DigitalOcean and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great

Sep 30, 2022 - Sr. Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love the company and its values.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

DigitalOcean - great place to work!!

Sep 22, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer II in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loads of appreciation felt for the work I do on the team. Tons of "DOLove" shared with employees that's "baked into" the culture here. Definitely cutting edge tech combined with highly industry-relevant work with personal instant opportunity to positively effect customers with the work that I do. Senior management that really cares about employees and really cares about creating an excellent, focused strategy for DO that's based on customer research. Fully remote work opportunities. Great benefits and competitive pay.

Cons

There are challenges with a fully remote work environment, particularly around building relationships. But this is not isolated to DO these days. Honestly, I have not hit any real issues working at DO yet. I'm very pleased.

3. Join the DigitalOcean team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Solid Foundation, trending in the right direction

Oct 25, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer II
    Business Outlook

Pros

DO has some good values and smart engineers. The C-suite seems to know what they're doing. The culture isn't suffocating and culty like some engineering companies.

Cons

Project management is a bit heavy handed. The pace is slow for a company this age and size. They've underinvested in internal tooling.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Solid, stable, a bit boring

Nov 12, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very healthy, lots of benefits, they take care of their employees

Cons

No product vision, lack of focus, nobody is leading the product.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Worked there three years

Jan 11, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great engineering culture: There is a broad assumption of positive intent. Trust within and between teams. - Building a cloud has lots of interesting challenges. - Lots of opportunity for advancement and professional growth.

Cons

- There's not much downtime and contributions back upstream don't always happen as much as I'd like.

7. 5.0

Remote Done Right

May 4, 2018 - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Best remote culture of any company out there - Managers give you the tools to succeed and empower you to make decisions - Everyone is super friendly and helpful, and people truly enjoy working here - Minimal meetings - Diverse culture

Cons

- Meeting times can get tricky with teams being so timezone distributed - Slack can be noisy with all the team channels and interest group channels

2 people found this review helpful

DigitalOcean Response

VP, People

Thanks for the great feedback. We see our distributed model as a competitive talent advantage and I'm glad the experience is working for you. And I hear you on Slack - we'll work on better separating the signal from the noise (except for the #puns channel. That's obviously amazing).

8. 5.0

Amazing Culture

Feb 14, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Best remote culture I've ever encountered - Great growth trajectory - A product that is interesting, and based on charging people for a service

Cons

- Very distributed organization, so communication can be slow. You'll have to learn how to work asynchronously.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

DO Love is real! Love it so far...

Jun 22, 2019 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highly skilled colleagues, smart yet humble, very collaborative and friendly culture, interesting at scale problems to solve

Cons

Growing fast, lots of churn at the leadership level

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

good place to get exposure to lots of tech

Nov 12, 2018 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

fast paced, risk embracing, developer centric culture trying to build a platform that punches up against the competition. lots of energy, good culture initiatives and flexible work life balance

Cons

due to the rate of growth in hiring there's a constant churn of new folks which can make finding the right team to engage difficult. Due to rate of change in environment there is a lack of formalized process in many areas. Senior Management often presents a less than crisp vision of where projects are headed

4 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Great place to work

May 26, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Smart, kind, and helpful engineers and developers.

Cons

There is a lot to learn.

DigitalOcean Response

VP, People

Awesome. Thank you. I will only add that there being "a lot to learn" is one of the pros for our organization as well! Thank you for the feedback. I promise we'll keep in investing in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews
</>Embed

DigitalOcean Reviews FAQs

Senior Software Engineer professionals working at DigitalOcean have rated their employer with 4.7 out of 5 stars in 21 Glassdoor reviews. This is a higher than average score with the overall rating of DigitalOcean employees being 4.3 out of 5 stars. Search open Senior Software Engineer Jobs at DigitalOcean now and start preparing for your job interview by browsing frequently asked Senior Software Engineer interview questions at DigitalOcean.

Senior Software Engineer professionals rate their compensation and benefits at DigitalOcean with 4.5 out of 5 stars based on 21 anonymously submitted employee reviews. This is 2.2% better than the company average rating for salary and benefits. Find out more about Senior Software Engineer salaries and benefits at DigitalOcean.

99% of Senior Software Engineer employees at DigitalOcean would recommend their employer to a friend. This rating has remained stable in the past 12 months. Senior Software Engineer professionals have also rated DigitalOcean with a 4.8 rating for work-life-balance, 4.8 rating for diversity and inclusion, 4.8 rating for culture and values and 4.6 rating for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with DigitalOcean Job Seekers